Thread: general settings for indoor performance?

Default general settings for indoor performance?

i am new to dslr and juz bought a D60 kit, so i only have a 18-55mm VR lens. i have trouble catching the china dance performance at vivo few wks ago, most of my pics are blurred. strangely i can 'stop' the fan in my house at nite with lights using the same modes. i set it at auto mode and sometimes at sport modes. any advice? thx in advice...

Default Re: general settings for indoor performance?

What were your settings?

post your pictures with the exif intact so that can analyse better.
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

Settings
    Auto Mode
    Fstop: f/5.6
    Exposure time: 1/50 sec
    ISO: ISO-800
    Exposure bias: 0 step
    Focal length: 55mm
    Max aperture: 5
    Metering mode: Pattern

juz read from the manual if my lens focal length is 300mm, shutter speed should set at 1/300s to prevent blur cause by camera shake but is tis rule apply here if my hand is steady? as the only things move is the performers. i'm confused....

do you understand relationship between ISO, Aperture and Shutter Speed?

but i guess not since you used auto which is pretty good by itself. If you want to freeze them then need to adjust the shutter time to be 1/125 or faster and then slowly increase iso speed as the higher the iso the more visible the noise. usually 1/f works but in tricky light is hard so have to take a few test shots first.

as it is, your picture is unuseable imo but if you are willing to make something out of it can get something useable like,

Not the best but is useable if you have only a few minutes to PP.
    Last edited by Reportage; 14th February 2009 at 01:58 AM.

wow thx for ur help! btw, i never realize in auto mode, the shutter speed is set to so low. hmm..auto mode is so useless for shooting freeze subjects. Shooting in shutter priority mode is a good choice i guess.

yap...i guess i understand ISO, Aperture and shutter speed now. to my knowledge, larger aperture openings blur the background more while small openings increase the depth of view. how should i apply? coz i usually shoot with large aperture opening in order to bring out the subject i forcus.

Quote Originally Posted by Reportage View Post
    do you understand relationship between ISO, Aperture and Shutter Speed?

but i guess not since you used auto which is pretty good by itself. If you want to freeze them then need to adjust the shutter time to be 1/125 or faster and then slowly increase iso speed as the higher the iso the more visible the noise. usually 1/f works but in tricky light is hard so have to take a few test shots first.

as it is, your picture is unuseable imo but if you are willing to make something out of it can get something useable like,

Not the best but is useable if you have only a few minutes to PP.
    Last edited by baggiolee; 14th February 2009 at 02:31 AM.

but then comes another problem...shutter priority if not enough time for light will cause the picture to underexpose so you will need to play with exposure correction or brightness levels in PP or find a way to make the scene brighter.

when light is very dark, what I usually do is set exposure compensation to -1.5EV, to make sure the shutter speed fast enough, when back home, adjust with PS

Ways to go around this issue.

Use fast lens
    Use flash to fill in and increase shutter speed.
    Use better camera and increase ISO up.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site