Thread: Fungus attack.

Default Fungus attack.

Just realised that I had an old lens lying around that has signs of fungus attack. I tried to dismantle the lense but after unscrewing the front end, could not seem to access the inner elements of the lens. Have not tried to clean the lense yet, but decided to leave it in the sun to try to "Kill" the fungus first. Does this work? It is a cheap M42 lens by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunjack
    Just realised that I had an old lens lying around that has signs of fungus attack. I tried to dismantle the lense but after unscrewing the front end, could not seem to access the inner elements of the lens. Have not tried to clean the lense yet, but decided to leave it in the sun to try to "Kill" the fungus first. Does this work? It is a cheap M42 lens by the way.
    huh??? the sun ray can kill fungus one ar ??????? does it work ???

Quote Originally Posted by Gunjack
    most of the time the sun's UV never reaches the fungus as the "killer" wavelengths are filtered out by the glass.

what lens is it?

Most M42 lenses are easy to clean. The trim or front comes off, then you need a spanner wrench to remove the front and rear optical blocks. Depending whether the fungus is, you then have to disassemble the optical block. You can clean it out with rubbing alcohol from guardian and if you KS, add a drop of hydrogen peroxide as a disinfectant (though the alcohol is usually one as well).

If it's a zoom lens, you're probably better off getting it professionally cleaned.

Sunlight, even if it kills the fungus, will not remove it...

If you have a room full of cockroaches, you close all the doors and windows and discharge a full can of Baygon. 3 hours later all the cockroaches are dead, but they are still there on the floor. They still have not been removed.

No short cut lah, have to open up..

thanks guys! I have finally determined how to dismatle the lens. It is quite a simple design actually. There was a very tiny screw I missed that prevented me from accessing the front elements. Shouldn't be a problem cleaning the lens now.