View Poll Results: Got scolded during street shot?

Voters
151. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

67 44.37%
  • No

84 55.63%
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4567811 ... LastLast

Thread: got scolded when doing street shot?

Default Re: got scolded when doing street shot?

Quote Originally Posted by kenkht View Post
    Manually focus to a certain point, say 3 - 5 meters away, put on smaller aperture (you've got to experiment with this) and put on time shutter delay of say 2 sec. If your camera blinks when you put on shutter delay, just tape it up with a black tape so that it won't show. Find you subject, press the shutter and then point the camera at your subject. Do all these while slinging your camera from your shoulder and you don't even need to look at your subject. No need to see through the viewfinder the whole excursion. Should be fun.
    sounds cool...if only we could eliminate the shutter sound all altogether and we'll hv to best street camera

Probably the worst 'scolding' i got was when shooting this guy in Perth, dressed in a fancy costume as he was walking down the street talking on his mobile phone. I did my usual trick to look less conspicious like shooting from the hip from a distance thinking he wasnt going to notice anyway cos he was busy talking. BUT he did notice me! He said 'No' and came over and asked me to delete the photos i took. I obliged and showed him. Then as we both walked off, I could hear him saying in a loud voice 'Ask next time, A**hole!'

Of course the experience bugged me for the rest of the day, especially cos i noticed he had a small DSLR hanging round his shoulder (fellow shooter!). I asked myself if i had to ask permission everytime i wanted to photograph someone?

My own conclusion is No.

Oftentimes its not possible nor desirable to ask either from lack of time or fear of getting a posed look. Accept the fact that sometimes some people will take offense and others not. Heck, I would too if somebody started photographing me and i wasnt in the mood!
    The point is not about offending someone, or 'feeling good' or being 'comfortable'. Its about the shot, and capturing the moment. If you love what you're doing, and the shot is worth the risk, and depending on how you feel, then take the shot. Just treat these times as lessons and 'battlescars' and get on with it. Refine your technique, or smile more, or do the business card thing.

Btw, i forgot to say 'sorry' to the guy which probably caused him to be more aggressive. I still managed to get a shot of him after he walked some distance.

2cents.
    5Dmk2 600D Sig35f1.4 Sig50f1.4 85f1.8 SY14f2.8 18200 Tam1750f2.8 580EX2 Oly EP3 14-42X 40-150 20f1.7

Hmmm...

I got chased once by an uncle once in chinatown. Took a picture of him sleeping at some pasar malam there... I assume he think I am gonna post him on STOMP or something

For kids, their parents are quite fine people photograhing them as long as you dont look like some kidnapping psychopath I guess...

Anyway, other than that, I have not experienced anything nasty. Besides, I am on a Rangefinder most of the time, 40mm lens, I get really close & look through my VF before I snap.

Here are some shots:

Havent reach merelok standard yet la, he is to pro to catch up

Quote Originally Posted by electron View Post
    Probably the worst 'scolding' i got was when shooting this guy in Perth, dressed in a fancy costume as he was walking down the street talking on his mobile phone. I did my usual trick to look less conspicious like shooting from the hip from a distance thinking he wasnt going to notice anyway cos he was busy talking. BUT he did notice me! He said 'No' and came over and asked me to delete the photos i took. I obliged and showed him. Then as we both walked off, I could hear him saying in a loud voice 'Ask next time, A**hole!'

Of course the experience bugged me for the rest of the day, especially cos i noticed he had a small DSLR hanging round his shoulder (fellow shooter!). I asked myself if i had to ask permission everytime i wanted to photograph someone?

My own conclusion is No.

Oftentimes its not possible nor desirable to ask either from lack of time or fear of getting a posed look. Accept the fact that sometimes some people will take offense and others not. Heck, I would too if somebody started photographing me and i wasnt in the mood!
    The point is not about offending someone, or 'feeling good' or being 'comfortable'. Its about the shot, and capturing the moment. If you love what you're doing, and the shot is worth the risk, and depending on how you feel, then take the shot. Just treat these times as lessons and 'battlescars' and get on with it. Refine your technique, or smile more, or do the business card thing.

Btw, i forgot to say 'sorry' to the guy which probably caused him to be more aggressive. I still managed to get a shot of him after he walked some distance.

2cents.
    Sometimes I do ask permission too but I am a sneaky guy. Am using a RF, so I would pre-focus, walk up to them & when I am asking them, I actually already took a shot of them & they wouldnt realise it coz the shutter sound of the RF is really insignificant.

So if they say yes, I get to better compose a shot, if they say no, still isnt my loss, I already took a shot

A friend almost got beaten up after taking a shot at a "stall owner" at Sungei Road.

Read about it here: http://victorkoo.blogspot.com/2006/0...logging-1.html

Complete with transcript of conversation too!

Edit:
    And he went back on the following day, to taken another shot of the target sleeping.
    http://victorkoo.blogspot.com/2006/0...ging-2_08.html
    Last edited by huggable; 18th February 2009 at 03:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by huggable View Post
    A friend almost got beaten up after taking a shot at a "stall owner" at Sungei Road.

Read about it here: http://victorkoo.blogspot.com/2006/0...logging-1.html

Complete with transcript of conversation too!

Edit:
    And he went back on the following day, to taken another shot of the target sleeping.
    http://victorkoo.blogspot.com/2006/0...ging-2_08.html
    Wooo.... What a experience....
    Is your friend using a compact camera?
    I guess if he didn't forget turning off his flash he won't not have face that....
    But if really is me, i will say "someone's calling u from ur back", when he turns back, I will run for my life...
    Last edited by ITphobia; 18th February 2009 at 03:55 PM.

I think its rather impolite to shoot anyone with their concern esp infront of the person.

Most pple dislike being photographed without their concern.

Not to mention others doing biz in a shop or store. I suggest that you ask for permission before shooting as a courtesy.

You might ended up being scolded, beaten or even angry people who will trash yr cam.

Courtesy is very important, but i realise very few pple practice these days.

Yes, he was using a compact camera, with shutter sound ON, and flash ON.

Quote Originally Posted by ITphobia View Post
    Wooo.... What a experience....
    Is your friend using a compact camera?
    I guess if he didn't forget turning off his flash he won't not have face that....
    But if really is me, i will say "someone's calling u from ur back", when he turns back, I will run for my life...

If you have someone with you, use that person as a front of being a subject when instead you're taking someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by huggable View Post
    Yes, he was using a compact camera, with shutter sound ON, and flash ON.
    It's really funny reading your friend's post... haha..
    Your friend was really not in the luck to meet this kind of people....
    really lucky that he got away without harm..

some stall holder juz got the cheek to ask for money if we photo their stall.
    i think we can ask them to go ahead n call a police n i'll put this as extortion.
    it is not about money or permission, it is our freedom to shoot in the public.

Taoism 你知[道]吗?http://yeobt.multiply.com
    Read With An Open Mind And Surely You Will Be Benefited.

Yeah, he's a funny chap. He got a parking ticket after taking picture of the stall owner sleeping.

It's really funny reading your friend's post... haha..
    Your friend was really not in the luck to meet this kind of people....
    really lucky that he got away without harm..

Took a photo of a girl the other day and we ended up exchanging email addresses.

Anyway, I think most people are nice here in Singapore, if u put up a friendly face

if u have a fiece face would even better,
    no one would even dare to walk up to you and ask.
    Taoism 你知[道]吗?http://yeobt.multiply.com
    Read With An Open Mind And Surely You Will Be Benefited.

Quote Originally Posted by skazwan View Post
    Took a photo of a girl the other day and we ended up exchanging email addresses.

Anyway, I think most people are nice here in Singapore, if u put up a friendly face
    For real? lol

I always have this fake-smile on my 24/7 when I do street photography, and it turns into a real happy one whenever I take a potentially good shot

i wanted to try street photography but with my fierce face :x
    OMG .
    sure get wack LOL !

Quote Originally Posted by axis90x View Post
    i wanted to try street photography but with my fierce face :x
    OMG .
    sure get wack LOL !
    LOL... i also wanna try, but don't dare too...
    Maybe both of us can go shoot together... haha...

LOL... i also wanna try, but don't dare too...
    Maybe both of us can go shoot together... haha...
    sure why not ? haha
    i wanted to try street photography

No, at least till now.

Quote Originally Posted by axis90x View Post
    sure why not ? haha
    i wanted to try street photography
    I wanna join

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4567811 ... LastLast