View Poll Results: Got scolded during street shot?

Voters
151. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

67 44.37%
  • No

84 55.63%
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345813 ... LastLast

Thread: got scolded when doing street shot?

Default Re: got scolded when doing street shot?

Quote Originally Posted by Icedheat View Post
    i think its really different in Singapore, its like you try to take some unique pictures of people going about their life in Singapore, people don't really like it.

When i was in Sichuan,China last month, i went to the earthquake struck area, Shi Fang and i was like taking photos of the people going about their life, they were like super open about it and they kinda like having their photos taken. Its like they saw me taking, they like all suddenly stuck poses and that stuff.

I think its a different culture and exposure thingy...

Well It has proven again... The wise man says: Always the man behind the camera who makes a picture out of your equipment not the the equipment you owned..............

It happens... everywhere! not only in Singapore. Matter of fact, in Singapore, people will just knn but saves you from the physical

To me, before you take that shot, try to put yourself in that person's shoes, and ask yourself whether you would like to be snapped at that particular moment? If you don't like, what makes you think people like?

Sometimes, i am just too concerned to get that shot and forgets about the subject's privacy and feelings which made me felt like a robber later.

If you wanna do street shot, do intro yourself to the subject, your intention and seek their permission even though it's a public place

Quote Originally Posted by mummum View Post
    It happens... everywhere! not only in Singapore. Matter of fact, in Singapore, people will just knn but saves you from the physical

To me, before you take that shot, try to put yourself in that person's shoes, and ask yourself whether you would like to be snapped at that particular moment? If you don't like, what makes you think people like?

Sometimes, i am just too concerned to get that shot and forgets about the subject's privacy and feelings which made me felt like a robber later.

If you wanna do street shot, do intro yourself to the subject, your intention and seek their permission even though it's a public place
    the only statement i agree with.

funny how pple feel that its their right to do whatever they like
    just becos they have a camera with them.

i love to shoot, but not the other way round.
    i do believe i'm not the only one.

I was once scolded by a lady at a bazaar in South Africa, Capetown, for taking photograph of her without her permission. It wasn't a nice feeling at all. Since then, I always make it a point to seek permission before shooting. I believe in taking photographs of a person without taking away his/her dignity.

Quote Originally Posted by bengchiat View Post
    the only statement i agree with.

funny how pple feel that its their right to do whatever they like
    just becos they have a camera with them.

i love to shoot, but not the other way round.
    i do believe i'm not the only one.
    yap, i like to shoot too but not to be shot. maybe will have to rethink the next time i press the button.
    "camcount" freeze, till Dec 2011

Quote Originally Posted by retrovox View Post
    I was once scolded by a lady at a bazaar in South Africa, Capetown, for taking photograph of her without her permission. It wasn't a nice feeling at all. Since then, I always make it a point to seek permission before shooting. I believe in taking photographs of a person without taking away his/her dignity.

well I did shoot a lot of people shot espically kids and have praises on the shot I have took from the parents and very happy to have return the shots to them.

Sometimes i shoot without using the viewfinder. It helps to avert all the attention.

younger people dont mind much too. once i wanted to take a picture of a couple then i noticed the guy was posing. so i just smiled and shot them.
    but to me , its the old people and young kids who are most interesting to take
    but they (older people ) are the most sensitive and so are parents usually.

Quote Originally Posted by coolin View Post
    younger people dont mind much too. once i wanted to take a picture of a couple then i noticed the guy was posing. so i just smiled and shot them.
    but to me , its the old people and young kids who are most interesting to take
    but they (older people ) are the most sensitive and so are parents usually.

you must be tactical, use what the army have teaches you and also use a long telezoom lens so that the parents will not know that you are shooting on there kids......

In the good name of Photography.......Be nice, smart and courteous.....Let's have some everyone

Flickr : http://www.flickriver.com/photos/shamsuri/

Canon 40D+17-40L+70-200IS F4L+100 Macro and ++++++++

i shoot without looking through the viewfinder.
    inspired by Joe Wigfall.
    he said " learn how to see through your camera"
    My camera is my eye when i take streets.
    The advantage is, people around you would be very oblivious.
    just hang ur camera along your neck or hold ur camera at waistline or any comfortable place and shoot lah.
    heh.
    disadvantage.
    u dont know whats ur after product will be like.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-IOEAlBpSo
    this is a video of him.
    NikonD40/D200 | flickr

I brought my japanese friend to chinatown 2 weeks ago.

We both took photos, and were not walking together. A lot of the shopowners saw me and gave me the 'begone vampire' gesture.

She was some distance behind me, and I saw a lot of shopowners inviting her into their shop, while she was snapping away.

I was not scolded but was starred at angrily.

This photographer shot directly at the people and somemore with flash..
    The people culture there seems different..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkIWW6vwrvM

While reading this thread I thought of the idea of mounting a laser-sight to the camera hot-shoe. That way, the camera can be aimed without looking through the VF. The problem is that everyone in the area will see the red-dot too. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by ITphobia View Post
    My friend just got some scolding from a old uncle in chinatown when he is trying to shot him..
    Wondering if any of clubsnappers got scolded in this kind of scenario before when you are doing street shots.
    If yes, how did you get out of the situation?

Quote Originally Posted by Sausage View Post

We both took photos, and were not walking together. A lot of the shopowners saw me and gave me the 'begone vampire' gesture.

She was some distance behind me, and I saw a lot of shopowners inviting her into their shop, while she was snapping away.
    You must behave like a tourist and mouth a few jap phrases and say " I love Singaporu "!

Quote Originally Posted by Sausage View Post

This is not only true of streets shots, many shopping malls etc also are more lax with tourists while not allowing locals to shoot. Many threads already on this.

Ask before shoot or i will Apologize, and move on
    Nikon D300|50mm|Sigma 24-70mm|Sony CX7|LX3|Multiply /Foto

Don't want to be seen to be captured, please stay at home indoors. Period.

one advice from me, for those who think shoot candid in overseas is better, yah but dun try at Indonesia, jakarta city ... especially shoot on local... you life will be on danger.. serious, this is not joking.. trust me..
    Enjoy the photo shooting and learning forever

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345813 ... LastLast