View Poll Results: Got scolded during street shot?

Voters
151. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    67 44.37%
  • No

    84 55.63%
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345813 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 276

Thread: got scolded when doing street shot?

  1. #41

    Default Re: got scolded when doing street shot?

    Quote Originally Posted by Icedheat View Post
    i think its really different in Singapore, its like you try to take some unique pictures of people going about their life in Singapore, people don't really like it.

    When i was in Sichuan,China last month, i went to the earthquake struck area, Shi Fang and i was like taking photos of the people going about their life, they were like super open about it and they kinda like having their photos taken. Its like they saw me taking, they like all suddenly stuck poses and that stuff.

    I think its a different culture and exposure thingy...


    Well It has proven again... The wise man says: Always the man behind the camera who makes a picture out of your equipment not the the equipment you owned..............

  2. #42

    Default Re: got scolded when doing street shot?

    It happens... everywhere! not only in Singapore. Matter of fact, in Singapore, people will just knn but saves you from the physical

    To me, before you take that shot, try to put yourself in that person's shoes, and ask yourself whether you would like to be snapped at that particular moment? If you don't like, what makes you think people like?

    Sometimes, i am just too concerned to get that shot and forgets about the subject's privacy and feelings which made me felt like a robber later.

    If you wanna do street shot, do intro yourself to the subject, your intention and seek their permission even though it's a public place

  3. #43

    Default Re: got scolded when doing street shot?

    Quote Originally Posted by mummum View Post
    It happens... everywhere! not only in Singapore. Matter of fact, in Singapore, people will just knn but saves you from the physical

    To me, before you take that shot, try to put yourself in that person's shoes, and ask yourself whether you would like to be snapped at that particular moment? If you don't like, what makes you think people like?

    Sometimes, i am just too concerned to get that shot and forgets about the subject's privacy and feelings which made me felt like a robber later.

    If you wanna do street shot, do intro yourself to the subject, your intention and seek their permission even though it's a public place
    the only statement i agree with.

    funny how pple feel that its their right to do whatever they like
    just becos they have a camera with them.

    i love to shoot, but not the other way round.
    i do believe i'm not the only one.

  4. #44
    Member retrovox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,003

    Default Re: got scolded when doing street shot?

    I was once scolded by a lady at a bazaar in South Africa, Capetown, for taking photograph of her without her permission. It wasn't a nice feeling at all. Since then, I always make it a point to seek permission before shooting. I believe in taking photographs of a person without taking away his/her dignity.

  5. #45
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    lost in translation
    Posts
    907

    Default Re: got scolded when doing street shot?

    Quote Originally Posted by bengchiat View Post
    the only statement i agree with.

    funny how pple feel that its their right to do whatever they like
    just becos they have a camera with them.

    i love to shoot, but not the other way round.
    i do believe i'm not the only one.
    yap, i like to shoot too but not to be shot. maybe will have to rethink the next time i press the button.
    "camcount" freeze, till Dec 2011

  6. #46

    Default Re: got scolded when doing street shot?

    Quote Originally Posted by retrovox View Post
    I was once scolded by a lady at a bazaar in South Africa, Capetown, for taking photograph of her without her permission. It wasn't a nice feeling at all. Since then, I always make it a point to seek permission before shooting. I believe in taking photographs of a person without taking away his/her dignity.

    well I did shoot a lot of people shot espically kids and have praises on the shot I have took from the parents and very happy to have return the shots to them.

  7. #47
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Ithaca, NY, USA
    Posts
    262

    Default Re: got scolded when doing street shot?

    Sometimes i shoot without using the viewfinder. It helps to avert all the attention.

  8. #48
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    400

    Default Re: got scolded when doing street shot?

    younger people dont mind much too. once i wanted to take a picture of a couple then i noticed the guy was posing. so i just smiled and shot them.
    but to me , its the old people and young kids who are most interesting to take
    but they (older people ) are the most sensitive and so are parents usually.

  9. #49

    Default Re: got scolded when doing street shot?

    Quote Originally Posted by coolin View Post
    younger people dont mind much too. once i wanted to take a picture of a couple then i noticed the guy was posing. so i just smiled and shot them.
    but to me , its the old people and young kids who are most interesting to take
    but they (older people ) are the most sensitive and so are parents usually.

    you must be tactical, use what the army have teaches you and also use a long telezoom lens so that the parents will not know that you are shooting on there kids......

  10. #50

    Default Re: got scolded when doing street shot?

    In the good name of Photography.......Be nice, smart and courteous.....Let's have some everyone


    Flickr : http://www.flickriver.com/photos/shamsuri/

    _____________________________________

    Canon 40D+17-40L+70-200IS F4L+100 Macro and ++++++++

  11. #51

    Default Re: got scolded when doing street shot?

    i shoot without looking through the viewfinder.
    inspired by Joe Wigfall.
    he said " learn how to see through your camera"
    My camera is my eye when i take streets.
    The advantage is, people around you would be very oblivious.
    just hang ur camera along your neck or hold ur camera at waistline or any comfortable place and shoot lah.
    heh.
    disadvantage.
    u dont know whats ur after product will be like.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-IOEAlBpSo
    this is a video of him.
    NikonD40/D200 | flickr

  12. #52

    Default Re: got scolded when doing street shot?

    I brought my japanese friend to chinatown 2 weeks ago.

    We both took photos, and were not walking together. A lot of the shopowners saw me and gave me the 'begone vampire' gesture.

    She was some distance behind me, and I saw a lot of shopowners inviting her into their shop, while she was snapping away.

  13. #53

    Default Re: got scolded when doing street shot?

    I was not scolded but was starred at angrily.

  14. #54

    Default Re: got scolded when doing street shot?

    This photographer shot directly at the people and somemore with flash..
    The people culture there seems different..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkIWW6vwrvM

  15. #55

    Default Re: got scolded when doing street shot?

    While reading this thread I thought of the idea of mounting a laser-sight to the camera hot-shoe. That way, the camera can be aimed without looking through the VF. The problem is that everyone in the area will see the red-dot too. LOL

    Quote Originally Posted by ITphobia View Post
    My friend just got some scolding from a old uncle in chinatown when he is trying to shot him..
    Wondering if any of clubsnappers got scolded in this kind of scenario before when you are doing street shots.
    If yes, how did you get out of the situation?

  16. #56
    Senior Member giantcanopy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    SG
    Posts
    6,232

    Default Re: got scolded when doing street shot?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sausage View Post
    I brought my japanese friend to chinatown 2 weeks ago.

    We both took photos, and were not walking together. A lot of the shopowners saw me and gave me the 'begone vampire' gesture.

    She was some distance behind me, and I saw a lot of shopowners inviting her into their shop, while she was snapping away.
    You must behave like a tourist and mouth a few jap phrases and say " I love Singaporu "!

  17. #57

    Default Re: got scolded when doing street shot?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sausage View Post
    I brought my japanese friend to chinatown 2 weeks ago.

    We both took photos, and were not walking together. A lot of the shopowners saw me and gave me the 'begone vampire' gesture.

    She was some distance behind me, and I saw a lot of shopowners inviting her into their shop, while she was snapping away.
    This is not only true of streets shots, many shopping malls etc also are more lax with tourists while not allowing locals to shoot. Many threads already on this.

  18. #58
    Member tanandrew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    548

    Default Re: got scolded when doing street shot?

    Ask before shoot or i will Apologize, and move on
    Nikon D300|50mm|Sigma 24-70mm|Sony CX7|LX3|Multiply /Foto

  19. #59

    Default Re: got scolded when doing street shot?

    Don't want to be seen to be captured, please stay at home indoors. Period.

  20. #60
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Sembawang, Singapore
    Posts
    172

    Default Re: got scolded when doing street shot?

    one advice from me, for those who think shoot candid in overseas is better, yah but dun try at Indonesia, jakarta city ... especially shoot on local... you life will be on danger.. serious, this is not joking.. trust me..
    Enjoy the photo shooting and learning forever

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345813 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •