View Poll Results: Got scolded during street shot?

Voters
151. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    67 44.37%
  • No

    84 55.63%
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3811121314 LastLast
Results 241 to 260 of 276

Thread: got scolded when doing street shot?

  1. #241

    Default Re: got scolded when doing street shot?

    Let me say that the culture of the people in New York City is different from anywhere else in the world! I think you can get away with it there but maybe not even in a different state of US and definitely not here.
    5Dmk2 600D Sig35f1.4 Sig50f1.4 85f1.8 SY14f2.8 18200 Tam1750f2.8 580EX2 Oly EP3 14-42X 40-150 20f1.7

  2. #242

    Default Re: got scolded when doing street shot?

    Quote Originally Posted by calebk View Post
    Another case of choosing not to settle the situation amicably. We are all civilised beings here (some maybe less civilised than others). Surely we can solve the problem.

    I've been confronted by people who asked me why I took photos of them/included them in the frame, and from experience, if you reply nicely, they will be less likely to be hostile towards you.

    If they are hostile, try and pacify the situation and explain that it's all just a hobby and you are not shooting for the press or Stomp. If they still do not want to listen, just delete the photo, like I said before. If it's film, tell them that I can't delete as it's film. If they are insistent, you can assure them that the image will never be publicised, and WALK AWAY. Don't start a fight or brawl.

    If they continue to harass you, especially physically, you can turn around and inform them that it is very easy to dial 999, and you have not broken any laws but they have. Don't take matters into your own hands. It will just get you into deeper ****.
    now lets see,
    i've seen photographers insisting its their rights to do what ever they want,
    even to the extend of using taser on their subjects,
    but no one seems to speak out for the so called subjects.

    my notion of being civilized is to repect my fellow beings space,
    eg, not shooting their pic if they object to it,
    not listening to loud music in a confined space n so on.

    repsect is earned, not an entitltement.

  3. #243
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Clementi
    Posts
    10,596

    Default Re: got scolded when doing street shot?

    Quote Originally Posted by bengchiat View Post
    now lets see,
    i've seen photographers insisting its their rights to do what ever they want,
    even to the extend of using taser on their subjects,
    but no one seems to speak out for the so called subjects.

    my notion of being civilized is to repect my fellow beings space,
    eg, not shooting their pic if they object to it,
    not listening to loud music in a confined space n so on.

    repsect is earned, not an entitltement.
    I am not for the taser approach either, but mr. confrontational seems to be all for it. I also agree with you that respect goes both ways, which is why I did say that if you are the photographer in question, do all you can to pacify the situation.

    If a photographer is insistent, there is really nothing you can do about it, to be honest, but he/she is just making a bad name for all of us civilised photographers.

  4. #244

    Default Re: got scolded when doing street shot?

    Quote Originally Posted by calebk View Post
    I am not for the taser approach either, but mr. confrontational seems to be all for it. I also agree with you that respect goes both ways, which is why I did say that if you are the photographer in question, do all you can to pacify the situation.

    If a photographer is insistent, there is really nothing you can do about it, to be honest, but he/she is just making a bad name for all of us civilised photographers.
    agree.
    actually, its sort of frightening to see from both end.

    pple die die also don't want to be shoot,
    n pple die die also want to shoot.

    personally,
    don't shoot me.
    i m ugly n not photogenic,
    i always offer my kids.
    better looking n more expressive

  5. #245

    Default Re: got scolded when doing street shot?

    Quote Originally Posted by shutterpeep View Post
    whoa, in your face! I admire his passion!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWEzm2disjM&NR=1
    Radio interview with Bruce Gilden. He says he goes so close that people think he's photographing something behind them.
    Last edited by lsisaxon; 24th July 2009 at 02:49 PM.

  6. #246

    Default Re: got scolded when doing street shot?

    Quote Originally Posted by calebk View Post
    Whether you like it or not, you still represent a group of people known as photographers. It doesn't matter whether anyone knows your real name or how you look like. If you impress a bad impression on someone, it makes for a bad impression of photographers in general.

    Like I said earlier, photography in general, and street photography specifically, is about respect. If you give due respect to the subjects, they will give due respect to you as well. It takes two hands to clap.

    If they are hostile to you, you can choose to just walk away or delete the picture. What do you have to lose? Will you lose sleep or money over that one image? Is it worth tasing or hurting that person just for the shot? I think not. Learn to walk away from a hostile scene, or pacify it. No point adding oil to the fire.



    Another case of choosing not to settle the situation amicably. We are all civilised beings here (some maybe less civilised than others). Surely we can solve the problem.

    I've been confronted by people who asked me why I took photos of them/included them in the frame, and from experience, if you reply nicely, they will be less likely to be hostile towards you.

    If they are hostile, try and pacify the situation and explain that it's all just a hobby and you are not shooting for the press or Stomp. If they still do not want to listen, just delete the photo, like I said before. If it's film, tell them that I can't delete as it's film. If they are insistent, you can assure them that the image will never be publicised, and WALK AWAY. Don't start a fight or brawl.

    If they continue to harass you, especially physically, you can turn around and inform them that it is very easy to dial 999, and you have not broken any laws but they have. Don't take matters into your own hands. It will just get you into deeper ****.
    kudos.

    i do have exp with tripod in shopping mall, it not allow. so i listen to the security officer and keep it and then shoot on hand held, that time i still using canon A80... damn sian to shoot on low light...

  7. #247
    Member Cartman2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    1,732

    Default Re: got scolded when doing street shot?

    All I can say is that if I get tasered when I'm doing no wrong by someone who isn't from law enforcement, I'll sue for assault.

  8. #248

    Default Re: got scolded when doing street shot?

    lols u all.. lol..
    It's Never about the Camera, It's YOU that matters!

  9. #249

    Default Re: got scolded when doing street shot?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cartman2000 View Post
    All I can say is that if I get tasered when I'm doing no wrong by someone who isn't from law enforcement, I'll sue for assault.
    Hmm.. reminds me of the cattle prod in South Park.

  10. #250

    Default Re: got scolded when doing street shot?

    just wondering, where are the places we are allowed or not allowed to take?
    Some security told me to stop while i was takin photos in a shopping mall. I didn't know i'm not supposed to O.o

  11. #251
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Clementi
    Posts
    10,596

    Default Re: got scolded when doing street shot?

    Quote Originally Posted by orangebrainer View Post
    just wondering, where are the places we are allowed or not allowed to take?
    Some security told me to stop while i was takin photos in a shopping mall. I didn't know i'm not supposed to O.o
    A shopping mall is considered private property open for public access. For instance, Funan or Plaza Singapura, are owned by Capitaland.

  12. #252

    Default Re: got scolded when doing street shot?

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Jx View Post
    well.. to be a magnum, it's always those shots that nobody does normally.. and he 's got balls! but the culture of the people over there are open.. as compared to singapore, u do this, they will argue with you.. lols..
    I read the comments here in this thread, and also watched Magnum on YouTube. I was wondering if anyone thinks it'll be fun to walk around shooting, but with a videographer behind. The public response can be documented, and we will have a short Clubsnap video about this topic. Who knows, maybe there are some friendly people in Singapore but we are just imagining the worst? Or maybe Singapore is worst than we thought? Wanna find out?

  13. #253

    Default Re: got scolded when doing street shot?

    erm act blur or act tourist.. at least it kinda work for me.
    look outside the box and its a big world out there

  14. #254

    Default Re: got scolded when doing street shot?

    Quote Originally Posted by calebk View Post
    A shopping mall is considered private property open for public access. For instance, Funan or Plaza Singapura, are owned by Capitaland.
    all places, any malls are owned by some ppl or other...question is...which owner allows photography?
    おれのflickrださ

  15. #255
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Clementi
    Posts
    10,596

    Default Re: got scolded when doing street shot?

    Quote Originally Posted by shiruikage View Post
    all places, any malls are owned by some ppl or other...question is...which owner allows photography?
    Most don't, actually, but if there's some function, many close one or both eyes. For instance, some children's pageant happens at Plaza Sing' - most parents, with a myriad of cameras will be shooting and security doesn't stop them.

  16. #256
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    near the Equator
    Posts
    1,255

    Default Re: got scolded when doing street shot?

    Physical assault is physical assault, and it disgraces photographers in general.

    When will people learn that the right to photography is not a free-for-all situation?
    We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities. - Oscar Wilde

  17. #257

    Default Re: got scolded when doing street shot?

    I think it's fun to shoot street.... also rewarding..

    set your setting ready... aim, shoot (continous mode) and smile... try not to immediately check ur photos from LCD... haha

    Try to shoot on those big event day.... less chances to get scold.. and more chances to get good picture..

  18. #258
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Clementi
    Posts
    10,596

    Default Re: got scolded when doing street shot?

    Quote Originally Posted by acerpic View Post
    I think it's fun to shoot street.... also rewarding..

    set your setting ready... aim, shoot (continous mode) and smile... try not to immediately check ur photos from LCD... haha

    Try to shoot on those big event day.... less chances to get scold.. and more chances to get good picture..
    Er, why continuous mode?

  19. #259

    Default Re: got scolded when doing street shot?

    What all the heroism bravado surfacing like what photographer's cult or brotherhoot?
    I took the photos already so what can you do to me?

  20. #260
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: got scolded when doing street shot?

    Quote Originally Posted by calebk View Post
    Er, why continuous mode?
    MG... hope to hit something along the way...
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3811121314 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •