View Poll Results: Got scolded during street shot?

Voters
151. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

67 44.37%
  • No

84 55.63%
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 6910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: got scolded when doing street shot?

Default Re: got scolded when doing street shot?

Quote Originally Posted by CS TAN View Post
    With dSLRs getting popular by the day, chances of these type of confrontations are going to increase. But as long as it is inside a private premise and the owner/management decided no-dSLRs-are-allow-but-P&S-are-ok, there is nothing much people can do but to comply with the policy.
    However, it must be said that "no photography" means "no photography". If the management decides to put up a sign on their premises that says no photography is allowed, then it should really mean no photography, regardless of the camera type you are using.

Is taking photos with a P&S not counted as photography? Are people worried that SLR resolutions are higher than P&S cameras? Come on lah. Most compacts today have like 12MP, 14MP, some even hitting the 20MP mark, and if you are using a 1D classic, you have 4MP. No logic.

Of course, the lay man would not understand, and probably would not want to reason. This is the closed mindset of most enforcing officials in Singapore.

i think it is plain weird that they allow PnS and not DSLR..the police officer might be afraid you are getting blueprints to bomb the plane ah...

Quote Originally Posted by calebk View Post
    However, it must be said that "no photography" means "no photography". If the management decides to put up a sign on their premises that says no photography is allowed, then it should really mean no photography, regardless of the camera type you are using.

Is taking photos with a P&S not counted as photography? Are people worried that SLR resolutions are higher than P&S cameras? Come on lah. Most compacts today have like 12MP, 14MP, some even hitting the 20MP mark, and if you are using a 1D classic, you have 4MP. No logic.

Of course, the lay man would not understand, and probably would not want to reason. This is the closed mindset of most enforcing officials in Singapore.
    Your statement is perfectly logical but whoever confront you might not. Especially, the over zealous security guards will not listen to us so most of the time I choose not to argue and just walk away.
    Canon 5D Mark II | 24-105L | 35L | 85L II | 135L | Samyang 14mm 2.8

Maybe you already planning to bomb, and the bomb is triggered by the infrared beam of the DSLR/flash.

How can we break this bias of SLR users vs PNS users? Seems like there really is no way out of it. I ever had an encounter where I was standing next to my friend (person A) and we were taking pictures, but he was using a compact. A staff member came up to me and told me I cannot take professional photography (sic) here. I told the staff that I was just taking photos of my friend (person B), but the staff still told me to stop. All the while, person A was still taking pictures.

Time to get this bugger...

Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon View Post
    Time to get this bugger...

good idea...so if any of those ignorant enforcers come telling you to stop, you can just say u r using a PEN.

but seriously, i think quite a few of us have encountered similar situations that warrant taking this issue to the general public more....like in ST Forum ?

is this olympus super good or sth?

Quote Originally Posted by sidloojl View Post
    is this olympus super good or sth?
    IMHO, it sits somewhere between DSLR and compact cam, but I'd say it doesn't come close to a low end DSLR generally, especially in terms of features. For about the same price, you can get a low end DSLR. but of cos you have to accept the bulk and weight. It's either you love it or not.

Attracted me initially but later realized it doesn't come with a built-in flash. That kinda spoils it for me. If I need to bring another Olympus external flash, the bulk and inconvenience of extra space in the bag and switching flash on and off defeats the purpose of having it. (I can't live without a flash.) But if you dont mind and shoot mainly without flash, then perhaps you might want to check it out.

Coming back to the topic... I think it's a pointless cause to fight for the No photography rule. This is implemented in many places overseas also. So sometimes some of us are misguided into thinking it happens only in Singapore. In the UK, there have been many incidents where innocent amateur photographers or even tourists who were led to the police stations cos they were shooting harmless stuffs.

Coming back to the topic... I think it's a pointless cause to fight for the No photography rule. This is implemented in many places overseas also. So sometimes some of us are misguided into thinking it happens only in Singapore. In the UK, there has been many incidents where innocent amateur photographers or even tourists who were led to the police stations cos they were shooting harmless stuffs.
    There was an incident where a photographer was shooting in a train station for a competition and got beat up by security I believe

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi2 View Post
    Coming back to the topic... I think it's a pointless cause to fight for the No photography rule. This is implemented in many places overseas also. So sometimes some of us are misguided into thinking it happens only in Singapore. In the UK, there have been many incidents where innocent amateur photographers or even tourists who were led to the police stations cos they were shooting harmless stuffs.
    I'm all for obeying rules. If they explicitly state that photography is not authorised then I will not shoot.

However, I cannot stand double standards - that is a DLSR user not being allowed to shoot but a P&S user being able to shoot until song.

an uncle demanded me to pay him for including him in the photo...
    Pentax K-x

Quote Originally Posted by Cartman2000 View Post
    There was an incident where a photographer was shooting in a train station for a competition and got beat up by security I believe
    I think it's a photo competition started by the train company and it's the train station guard that stopped the photographer from taking photos

This one is entrapment!!

he didn't specify, don't assume!

I never wanted to include them in my photos. Instead of telling me not to shoot them why not they get out of my lens' angle of view or move their train station elsewhere?

So far into photography for 2months~
    didn't tio scolded or what haha
    maybe i still haven seen the worst uncles/aunties at chinatown or wherever

lols.. i've met these people before also.. kena scolded right in the face.. "Aye boy, why u so rude? take my picture without asking?! you got no manners isit? can't u just kindly ask me?.. blah blah blah..."

well, usually i'll just walk away, switch to tele lens and shoot his/her photo, spam the photo online or something... either that, i'll use my taser on the person if im super pissed off by their kind of approaching attitude.. but tht's just me
    It's Never about the Camera, It's YOU that matters!

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Jx View Post
    lols.. i've met these people before also.. kena scolded right in the face.. "Aye boy, why u so rude? take my picture without asking?! you got no manners isit? can't u just kindly ask me?.. blah blah blah..."

well, usually i'll just walk away, switch to tele lens and shoot his/her photo, spam the photo online or something... either that, i'll use my taser on the person if im super pissed off by their kind of approaching attitude.. but tht's just me
    aggressive man..

Quote Originally Posted by sidloojl View Post
    aggressive man..
    well.. due to the harsh environment of singapore.. "reasoning" has become useless, direct contact effect works best

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Jx View Post
    well.. due to the harsh environment of singapore.. "reasoning" has become useless, direct contact effect works best
    You have a taser?

You have a taser?
    yes.. those self made tasers that you can find on youtube.. made from those disposable small cameras.. carrying it ard wont be much of a suspect for carrying of dangerous weapons.. and situations when the person is scolding u, if u take a real taser out they will run, if they see u take another camera out, they will shout louder at u and moving closer to u wanting to punch/slap u.. there goes ur chance and shock their waist or anywhere

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 6910111213 ... LastLast