View Poll Results: Got scolded during street shot?

Voters
151. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

67 44.37%
  • No

84 55.63%
Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 589101112 ... LastLast

Thread: got scolded when doing street shot?

Default Re: got scolded when doing street shot?

pardon me for digging up a old thread.

still a bit upset here even though it's been a month.

brought daughter to Fuji Ice Palace during last June school hols. She skated while i stayed at the sides taking pictures of her with my 50d attached with 70-200 L lens. Happily snapping away for most of the 2 hours until towards the end, one of the staff came over and told me i have to keep my camera or he will confiscate. To be fair, he was rather polite but firm. I reasoned nicely with him that there were a lot of other people there taking pictures with the compact PnS and some with video cam. So what's the difference? He said those PnS are fine. I didn't want to argue with him further since i am already done and was about to pack up anyway. if he had come to me much earlier, i would have kicked up a big fuss

was i wrong? or was i being discriminated just because i am using a non PnC with a long white color lens....making me look like someone from the press/media. i don't recall seeing any signs outside prohibiting taking photos.

pls advise.

Happily snapping away for most of the 2 hours until towards the end, one of the staff came over and told me i have to keep my camera or he will confiscate.
    Can call police already if he had done that, since they did not state that photography is prohibited.

if he had done that, i would really call the police.

Quote Originally Posted by scenic98 View Post
    if he had done that, i would really call the police.
    i will do that. who is he to confiscate your camera?is not like you are in primary sch. Probably some customers complained and thought u firing at them?

he tell u PNS ok but DSLR cannot? then tell him this is the only camera i have. buy me a PNS and i will use that. what a dumb reason.

happened to me once too... at a mall and the security came up to me to say no using of dslr to take picture... its for an event and people are also happily snapping with their PnS...
    "camcount" freeze, till Dec 2011

Quote Originally Posted by harper View Post
    happened to me once too... at a mall and the security came up to me to say no using of dslr to take picture... its for an event and people are also happily snapping with their PnS...
    How can we break this bias of SLR users vs PNS users? Seems like there really is no way out of it. I ever had an encounter where I was standing next to my friend (person A) and we were taking pictures, but he was using a compact. A staff member came up to me and told me I cannot take professional photography (sic) here. I told the staff that I was just taking photos of my friend (person B), but the staff still told me to stop. All the while, person A was still taking pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by calebk View Post
    How can we break this bias of SLR users vs PNS users? Seems like there really is no way out of it. I ever had an encounter where I was standing next to my friend (person A) and we were taking pictures, but he was using a compact. A staff member came up to me and told me I cannot take professional photography (sic) here. I told the staff that I was just taking photos of my friend (person B), but the staff still told me to stop. All the while, person A was still taking pictures.

Take photos of the staff then post it to STOMP.. Haha!

A few years back, I sent my baby to a trial session at a baby gym. Parents and guardians were happily taking pictures with their HP, PnS inside the gym, and from outside (only 1 parent is allowed to accompany the child inside).

I was stopped from using by D2h to take pictures, from outside the counter. The rude staff said no photography allowed, as some could be their gym rivals. I kicked a big fuss, questioning why the rest can shoot till they're "song" all over the place. Told them that if photography is not allowed, it doesn't matter what camera I use. In the end, the staff stopped all photography inside and outside the gym.

Of course, we NEVER set foot into that place ever again.

Quote Originally Posted by scenic98 View Post
    pardon me for digging up a old thread.

still a bit upset here even though it's been a month.

brought daughter to Fuji Ice Palace during last June school hols. She skated while i stayed at the sides taking pictures of her with my 50d attached with 70-200 L lens. Happily snapping away for most of the 2 hours until towards the end, one of the staff came over and told me i have to keep my camera or he will confiscate. To be fair, he was rather polite but firm. I reasoned nicely with him that there were a lot of other people there taking pictures with the compact PnS and some with video cam. So what's the difference? He said those PnS are fine. I didn't want to argue with him further since i am already done and was about to pack up anyway. if he had come to me much earlier, i would have kicked up a big fuss

was i wrong? or was i being discriminated just because i am using a non PnC with a long white color lens....making me look like someone from the press/media. i don't recall seeing any signs outside prohibiting taking photos.

pls advise.

Do they have to right to stop you taking the photos?

In their premises, yes. But looks like many people like to apply double-standards. PnS and cameraphones are OK, DSLR are threatening and not allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by huggable View Post
    A few years back, I sent my baby to a trial session at a baby gym. Parents and guardians were happily taking pictures with their HP, PnS inside the gym, and from outside (only 1 parent is allowed to accompany the child inside).

I was stopped from using by D2h to take pictures, from outside the counter. The rude staff said no photography allowed, as some could be their gym rivals. I kicked a big fuss, questioning why the rest can shoot till they're "song" all over the place. Told them that if photography is not allowed, it doesn't matter what camera I use. In the end, the staff stopped all photography inside and outside the gym.

Of course, we NEVER set foot into that place ever again.
    If I was from a rival gym, would I be so conspicuous?

Seems like they have the right to be biase and decide who and what camera can be allowed....as long as it's their event and u are within their premises.

Quote Originally Posted by RezzShaz View Post
    Seems like they have the right to be biase and decide who and what camera can be allowed....as long as it's their event and u are within their premises.
    Um, which part of "no photography" means no-SLR-cameras-but-you-are-allowed-to-shoot-with-a-P&S-until-song?

Quote Originally Posted by calebk View Post
    If I was from a rival gym, would I be so conspicuous?
    Well... they dun seem to be using their grey matter. As with quite a few security guards.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

With dSLRs getting popular by the day, chances of these type of confrontations are going to increase. But as long as it is inside a private premise and the owner/management decided no-dSLRs-are-allow-but-P&S-are-ok, there is nothing much people can do but to comply with the policy.
    Canon 5D Mark II | 24-105L | 35L | 85L II | 135L | Samyang 14mm 2.8

Quote Originally Posted by CS TAN View Post
    With dSLRs getting popular by the day, chances of these type of confrontations are going to increase. But as long as it is inside a private premise and the owner/management decided no-dSLRs-are-allow-but-P&S-are-ok, there is nothing much people can do but to comply with the policy.
    Well, either tat or we keep making noise until they sit up and listen.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

i got it on a few occasion when doing street photography , guess they termed it as invasion of privacy
    I turned PRO in diaper chg!
    My Flickr|My Son

i haven't got scolded but some people just walk away, or cover their faces!

Just a quick check with the brothers and sisters here,

Have you guys tried taking pictures with your DSLR inside changi airport after u checked in and waiting for boarding the plane. I got stopped once by the airport police stating that i cannot take picture of the airplane with my cam,

However the tourist beside me is happily snapping with their pns. When questioned, the police mentioned that they got to stop me becos of my cam. the whole incident ends with a smile with the police officer as he is very polite to me, i was let off after i show them wat i took was harmless and also knowing im a singaporean. Anyway i deleted those pictures immediately after that.

Carry a DSLR is like carry a canon and walking around rather den carrying a pistol at ur waist

no worries man! soon DSLR prices are going to drop so low that everyone owns one.. by then maybe it will be a "no Pns, only DSLR" policy haha!

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 589101112 ... LastLast