Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canon IXUS 400 disappointingly...

Default Canon IXUS 400 disappointingly...

BIG! Well, at least to me.

After going through reviews, i decided on the Canon 400. I went to the store and saw it for the first time. It's big!! Perhaps I'm used to the Casio Exilim EX-S2 which was so easy to carry around. The only camera I saw that has the features and size I want is Pentax Optio S but the reveiws are not great and the picture quality pales in comparison to the Canon.

My criteria for digicam:
    Min. 3Mpix
    Very small (Pentax Optio S about right)
    3x Optical zoom
    Spot focus
    <S$800

Is there any cam that fit above criteria? Or I have to wait longer for new releases?
    Last edited by bleu; 9th October 2003 at 10:15 AM.

BIG?

I've seen and held an IXUS 400 before and find it too small.

That's one reason why my wifey likes to have this cam. The size factor.

:Later,

Quote Originally Posted by bleu

After going through reviews, i decided on the Canon 400. I went to the store and saw it for the first time. It's big!! Perhaps I'm used to the Casio Exilim EX-S2 which was so easy to carry around. The only camera I saw that has the features and size I want is Pentax Optio S but the reveiws are not great and the picture quality pales in comparison to the Canon.

My criteria for digicam:
    Min. 3Mpix
    3x Optical zoom
    Spot focus
    <S$800

Is there any cam that fit above criteria? Or I have to wait longer for new releases?
    There will unlikely to be any Optio S sized camera that will have good image quality. It's a matter of physics. A small camera demands a small sensor and a small lens.

Small sensors with high resolution will have very small pixel size, and this results in higher noise ( barring any huge jumps in CCD technology ).

Small lenses (esp zooms) has much higher aberrations at the edge and corners unless stepped down, in which case the aberrations are less, but still present. It is possible to design a smallish lens with less aberrations, but it involves adding more aspherical elements and complicates the lens design and adds alot to the cost, size and weight, contradicting the purpose of a small camera in the first place.

Why do you think all good high quality cameras are fairly big and chunky ? To accomodate a big lens and a big sensor !

If you want image quality in a small package, the S400 is probably your best bet. It uses a bigger sensor than the Optio S. In fact, its sensor is the same one found in the much bigger S45. Or you can get a very small digicam without zoom. At least its lens would be sharper than a zoom at the same size.

Deregistered

if i were reduced to choose something of that size... i'd choose the canon anytime. why? because it looks a lot heftier and can take a lot more "abuse" (though i certainly would advise against it) compared to the exilim.

Sorry OT a bit: any digicam with a 'tough' reputation? i mean, known to survive drops, a bit of rain splash, cold (cold countries) and hot (car in sun) conditions, and still keep going? Like the old motorola pagers and bigger nokia handphones.

Wow.. how small can hands get? i find the size of IXUS 400 just nice,maybe a bit too small for me.. looks & feel solid..
    Smaller=less performance so why compromise? unless you're a chick, then IXUS 400 is just nice..

Thumbs down

My criteria for digicam:
    Min. 3Mpix
    3x Optical zoom
    Spot focus
    <S$800

You can't have your cake and eat it you know... Ixus 400 isn't big.

Quote Originally Posted by ST1100
    Sorry OT a bit: any digicam with a 'tough' reputation? i mean, known to survive drops, a bit of rain splash, cold (cold countries) and hot (car in sun) conditions, and still keep going? Like the old motorola pagers and bigger nokia handphones.
    Sounds like a 1Ds

there are mini digital cameras sold in sim lim that are so small you can put it in your mouth, are those the kind you are looking for?

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by Goldmember
    there are mini digital cameras sold in sim lim that are so small you can put it in your mouth, are those the kind you are looking for?
    you mean, like the che-ez?

Che-ez ah? those are like fashion cameras that imo dont really qualify as a usable digicam. The quality is horrible under low light, and much less than impressive outdoors..

Errr, then get the Optio S.

different standards
    Check out my wildlife pics at www.instagram.com/conrad_nature

I think he wants very small camera like Sony U10/20 , Che-ez or Handphone Camera
    See my Photo Gallery at the Clubsnap

yeah, would like a really small cam to fit into my little handbag to carry around whenever i go out. never know when a good pic moment comes up right?

chriszzz is right. i have to compromise either on quality or size. the canon ixus 400 is the best choice so far. perhaps i'll get it afterall...

Quote Originally Posted by sehsuan
    you mean, like the che-ez?
    something like that la. consumer dcam dun really perform well in low light. so dun put too much high hope on ixus 400.

xi0625
    Guests

My criteria for digicam:
    Min. 3Mpix
    3x Optical zoom
    Spot focus
    <S$800

I think Casio Z4 fulfill your requirement:

4Mpix
    Very small
    3X optical
    around $740 from AP

Wink Z4 it is

Yup, that's exactly what I ended up buying. I saw the Casio Exilim EX-Z4 and the actual prints taken with it and was sold. Haven't made any prints from it myself but it's really a fun camera with many features. Best of all, I can bring it everywhere I go.

Unfortunately because it's so new, I know I paid a premium for it. Including leather case, extra battery, external charger and 256Mb SD card, it cost me >$1000. Gulp, that was hard to swallow...

tomcat
    Guests

Yup, that's exactly what I ended up buying. I saw the Casio Exilim EX-Z4 and the actual prints taken with it and was sold. Haven't made any prints from it myself but it's really a fun camera with many features. Best of all, I can bring it everywhere I go.
    Some users in the Casio Talk forum in dpreview complained of blue cast when taking flash pics with the Z4. Any such problems here?

Deregistered

yeah, would like a really small cam to fit into my little handbag to carry around whenever i go out. never know when a good pic moment comes up right?

chriszzz is right. i have to compromise either on quality or size. the canon ixus 400 is the best choice so far. perhaps i'll get it afterall...
    actually I though the IXUS II could have been another option?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast