Thread: How to get deep blue skies?

Default How to get deep blue skies?

Anyone got any tips on how to get deep blue skies? Say if a building is in the foreground and i want the sky in the background to be a deep blue what should i do? spot meter on the sky.. but building will be underexposed rite? If the sun is shining on the building ( behind me ) and i spot meter on the sky behind the building, will the building be underexposed?

Try a polarizer. Works best if the sun is perpendicular to what you're shooting. But not that it's will not make an overcast sky blue.

Regards
    CK

I used a polarizer on a autumn sky. It was slightly dim, can't see the sun. Is that what you call an overcast sky? I could see some noticeable difference in the colour of the sky after turning the polarizer, but the prints that I got show just a white sky, not even dim. Can anyone advise on this?

Does the polarizer makes the sky blue and not the clouds?

First, you need to find a blue sky.

Polarizor just increases the contrast between the sky and clouds and increases apparent saturation. It can't turn a non blue sky blue.

Quote Originally Posted by ckiang
    Try a polarizer. Works best if the sun is perpendicular to what you're shooting. But not that it's will not make an overcast sky blue.

Regards
    CK
    Thanks bro.. me refering to a clear blue sky.. not overcast.. usually i end up with white skies instead leh.. so spotmeter on the sky itself?

Quote Originally Posted by Jer76
    Thanks bro.. me refering to a clear blue sky.. not overcast.. usually i end up with white skies instead leh.. so spotmeter on the sky itself?
    If sun is behind you and the building is in sunlight and the sky behind is blue, you can just meter the building and take the shot. Metering the sky would give a similar effect as well because in this case, the sky would only be slightly brighter than the building.

My avatar is an example.

Quote Originally Posted by Zerstorer
    If sun is behind you and the building is in sunlight and the sky behind is blue, you can just meter the building and take the shot. Metering the sky would give a similar effect as well because in this case, the sky would only be slightly brighter than the building.

My avatar is an example.
    thanks for the prompt reply.. ya i'm trying to achieve something like ur avatar... i'll go do some testing this weekend

gradual blue filter. it can turn white sky into blue sky

Quote Originally Posted by amateur_photographer
    gradual blue filter. it can turn white sky into blue sky
    right... and it will turn white building into blue building also.... haiz