Thread: Freedom

Default Freedom

took this picture as i was walking along the promenade in K. Kinabalu some time ago. guess i was inspired by Ponyo or something original picture a bit overexposed, forgot to alter FEV. did some PP on Picasa to bring out the midtones and manipulate the colours, also cropped the pic a bit, but no other correction. would like some feedback on:

1. is the colour of the sky too unnatural?
    2. the tilt - is it too jarring or does it add something to the picture?
    3. overall impression on composition - my idea was to make it as if the goldfish is moving towards the sea. was this aim achieved or is it all in my head?? all i can tell is that this picture can be made better, but unsure how. maybe move closer to the fish?

shot at:
    1/400s, f11, 10mm UWA on cropped sensor body

thank you for the critique.

Default Re: Freedom

why freedom? can elobrate

freedom to swim in the sea?
    (pls ignore the Ponyo comment because i havent actually watch the movie)

All I really see is a stone sculpture, some pavement, railings and sky. I don't see any of the freedom message brought across in the image. I can hardly see the sea in the frame; it is occupying too insignificant an area in the frame.

IMHO, don't worry so much about your post-processing first. Work on your composition and how your photo actually brings across your message. Shoot more.

thank you for the honest comment, calebk. the small portion of sky (guess the sea not visible from this angle *sigh*) is supposed to be the goal the stone goldfish is trying to reach, and the idea is to convey a sense of movement forward. guess i have too much imagination anyway, i'm posting more pics at the candid section today, feel free to see and C&C! cheers