Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Okay okay, last "What notebook to buy" question!

Default Re: Okay okay, last "What notebook to buy" question!

Quote Originally Posted by Garion View Post
    Let me be the spoiler here...

2.4k is no small sum of money. Frankly I would rather get something much cheaper, which does the job just as well too, and save up the rest of the $.

Maybe you could consider going the 2nd hand route as well?
    Dad wants to buy new. I agree that 2.4k is no small sum of money-- perhaps the educational 2.0ghz version would suffice.

Quote Originally Posted by Reportage View Post
    actually the $1.5k one also has the same graphics card. Thing is in desktop terms, the 9500GT is considered very lite gaming and is more of a HTPC graphic card. What to make of a 9400 Mobile version???

from what i read, chop a Macbook and install windows either via bootcamp (recommended) or virtualization like parallels (geek-ness )

i have been using the same macbook for so many years and so far the only thing i had to replace was the battery for a couple more years of life and my usage is mostly the same as yours.
    Good to hear that your macbook's serving you well.

Quote Originally Posted by antacid View Post
    laptops should be light and portable so you will actually bring them out! pretty much like a tripod if you think about it.

but if it's going to be your only computer, then its a different story.
    Yup, my major concern is batt life and portability. As long as i can work while being mobile, it'll be good.

Is there a difference between the Polycarbonate and aluminum body of the macbook?

Price diff is S$500, and the diff is DDR3 vs DDR2, 40gb more space (on standard package), better built/keyboard/aesthetics (less scratches etc). That's it?
    Our pictures are our footprints. Itís the best way to tell people we were here - JoeMcnally | Flickr

My dad and I have decided that we'll be purchasing the Macbook White unless someone else tells me that the unibody and trackpad / screen thing really isn't an apple gimmick.

The difference in cost will allow me to purchase a cam+notebook bag, educational CS4, educational LR2 and possibly a key for microsoft office for mac.

Questions:

1) How to sync photograph data (in LR2) between computer and macbook?

2) Do I need to use apple airport extreme to be able to connect all 3 computers (1 macbook, 2 desktops) to my Canon printer (Canon IP4500) and new WD 640gig 3.5" external harddrive?

3) Will installing windows on a mac have any disadvantages? Ie slower mac OS-X etc.

Cheers,
    Zexun
    Our pictures are our footprints. Itís the best way to tell people we were here - JoeMcnally | Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Headshotzx View Post
    My dad and I have decided that we'll be purchasing the Macbook White unless someone else tells me that the unibody and trackpad / screen thing really isn't an apple gimmick.

The difference in cost will allow me to purchase a cam+notebook bag, educational CS4, educational LR2 and possibly a key for microsoft office for mac.

Questions:

1) How to sync photograph data (in LR2) between computer and macbook?

2) Do I need to use apple airport extreme to be able to connect all 3 computers (1 macbook, 2 desktops) to my Canon printer (Canon IP4500) and new WD 640gig 3.5" external harddrive?

3) Will installing windows on a mac have any disadvantages? Ie slower mac OS-X etc.

Cheers,
    Zexun
    Dun get the white 1 lah.
    Buy macbook is to show off 1, the white 1 a little cheap looking.

Quote Originally Posted by AReality View Post
    Dun get the white 1 lah.
    Buy macbook is to show off 1, the white 1 a little cheap looking.
    I don't ever care about how good or crappy looking my laptop is. I'm looking for functionality, not into the brands and trends. I just don't see the point in 'showing off' something that'll get updated 6 months down the road.

I don't ever care about how good or crappy looking my laptop is. I'm looking for functionality, not into the brands and trends. I just don't see the point in 'showing off' something that'll get updated 6 months down the road.
    Sounded like me b4 I bought my macbook... heh.. take care..

Goodness...wth so many advice,does anyone consider tht any lappy u buy..its has limitation....As a pc n lappy overclocker,d requirement mention above r all typical question..my advice is...gt deeper in yr research...go for high cpu n dedicated vga..n solid mainboard...the rest r upgradable..disc n ram n storage...fr my xperiment,HP gt high mark on my list...Audio is solid,pic is gd(im not promoting them ok)...tht my opinion...Hope it helps...

Woah ur third thread liao arh... Seems like I'm missing out alot from kopitiam recently....

Anyway, my advice is dun buy during IT show. Those IT roadshow at ur school probably is going to give u a much better deal. But problem is i dunno JC got these IT roadshows or not. I know poly have it thou.

And i got one qn for u. Do u already have a decent PC/Laptop at home for u to do ur gaming/photoediting?

If have, may i suggest u get those 8/9" ultraprotable? Its actually quite alright for doing up reports n surfing the net. Presentation wise oso ok. Batt life i dunno much abt it, but i guess quite decent. Oh yes, rmb to get those with 6 cell batt.

Futhermore, these ultraportables are very light, abt 600g to 1kg only. For me, i'm using a 1.7KG fujitsu. Quite a top end machine actually. But when it comes to doing presentations and lugging it ard, sometimes i wished that i have one of those ultraprotables. FYI, i dun really do gaming on this machine, graphics maybe. So can safely say my machine is under utilised.

All in all, the 8" ultraportables are great for project work at school or at work. But for gaming/photoediting, i suggest u go back to the PC at home....

Lastly, sure fit ur budget one! Can easily get for like $700 or something. Or if u prefer something more reliable and maybe better specs, try the fujitsu M series. They have got 3 years warranty apparantly.

Anyway, to address your Dell qn, eh, from the marketing perspective, the answer will be, Singaporeans are Kiasu when it comes to making a purchase costing them thousands of dollars.

Dell's traditionally got this "no middle man policy", so meaning they dun reach out to as many customers as their competitors do and customers cannot see and feel for themselves their purchase until it actually arrives at their doorstep. But by then, if got any prob or they juz dun like it, its all too late. Hence singaporeans not so familiar with the brand and not so willing to accept the brand. But of course now they change their distribution method alrd....

As for personal experience, I know Dell's laptops are very "leh chey"(troublesome). If u are those kind who add your own RAM, u will know. For my case, it's the corporate Laptop. As far as i know, all the vital parts/circuit boards are placed under the keyboard. To reach these parts, the whole keyboard have to be removed, and no joke, its not an easy task. Need to be quite skillful or risk buying a new keyboard from Dell.

When i ask the IT person who showed me all these, he say Dell did it to make it harder for ppl to replace the parts themselves, hence all their customers have to go back to them to replace anything. How true is that, i dunno. But it does sounds logical.... But for the retail versions, i dunno if its the same.

Hope this helps! And welcome to the world of endless PW workloads!
    Last edited by evo-lution; 12th February 2009 at 11:57 PM.

Remember to get Apple Care for the extended warranty.
    For price, you can compare online educational discounts, and going to the shops like iShop, MultiMedia at Funan, Epi Center at Wheelock Place (just stating the available shops, not saying which is better) sometimes they have bundled prices together with additional software.

I'm buying a notebook for photography and office-work purposes, so netbooks will definitely not be the way to go.

Ram question--

For the sole purpose of faster and smoother photoshop experience, should I get 4 gigs of DDR2 677mhz ram, or 2 gigs of DDR3 1066mhz ram?

AppleCare question--

I can purchase applecare protection just before my warranty runs out right? S$350 savings now equals S$350 into software.

Eh here's to ur RAM question....

Firstly, are u in the position to decide? To do that, u muz specify the type of motherboard leh....

If u going to buy laptop based on which type of mother board it uses, I think abit hard to find a good match. But of course, that's IMHO lah...
    Futhermore, DDR3 very new technology in the market leh... If i'm not wrong, alot of laptop out there still use DDR2....

Eh, but based on personal experience, 4GB of 677mhz is more than enuf. Mi using that too....
    Last edited by evo-lution; 13th February 2009 at 08:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by evo-lution View Post
    Eh here's to ur RAM question....

Firstly, are u in the position to decide? To do that, u muz specify the type of motherboard leh....

If u going to buy laptop based on which type of mother board it uses, I think abit hard to find a good match. But of course, that's IMHO lah...
    Futhermore, DDR3 very new technology in the market leh... If i'm not wrong, alot of laptop out there still use DDR2....

Eh, but based on personal experience, 4GB of 677mhz is more than enuf. Mi using that too....
    Thanks =)

Ram question was thought of because I have the choice of either Macbook white (upgrade to 4gig DDR2) or Macbook aluminum (2gig DDR3 standard).

So I guess upgrading the macbook white would be better (can I DIY the upgrade on my own?)

Get the new Uni body Mac-book 2.4Ghz and upgrade to 4GB ram, you can check funan, sometimes they give free upgrade to 4GB ram or get apple care for $99

How would the white macbook be better?
    then new Unibody mac uses the whole alu body to disperse the heat from the mac, the backlite Keyboard is definately useful

also there's the light sensor thats adjust your screen brightness accordingly.

the new macbook is running on DDR3(1333Mhz) which is a notch faster then the DDR2(667mhz)

I would choose the new macbook over the white one anytime.

I wouldn't bet my last cent on a window based junk

Thanks =)

Ram question was thought of because I have the choice of either Macbook white (upgrade to 4gig DDR2) or Macbook aluminum (2gig DDR3 standard).

So I guess upgrading the macbook white would be better (can I DIY the upgrade on my own?)
    Eh, i not too sure abt macbook sys, but since apple dun manufacture their own mother boards and RAM, i guess its the same bah.... But better check before u do anything...

Looks like u should be getting the Macbook?? But muz warn you, mac book may face some compatibility issues... And i heard tht macbook is smth like totally opposite of windows... So erm muz think abt if u can adapt or not. But of course the mac is very good for graphics n things like tht lah...

Eh, i not too sure abt macbook sys, but since apple dun manufacture their own mother boards and RAM, i guess its the same bah.... But better check before u do anything...

Looks like u should be getting the Macbook?? But muz warn you, mac book may face some compatibility issues... And i heard tht macbook is smth like totally opposite of windows... So erm muz think abt if u can adapt or not. But of course the mac is very good for graphics n things like tht lah...
    I was setting up a PC for my office, (sad to say cos the software we use does not support mac yet). and I wanted to vomit blood trying to get the 64bit Vista to work with my printers. What a pain.. I even need to go source the net for the new drivers for the graphic card.

I've used mac for 6yrs. the compatibility problem i hate is trying to read the hard disk format by windows (NTSF). well i can do without it.

I've heard about the fomula issue on the Microsoft office on mac. that some of the foumlas cannot work properly. well i don't need it.

Can windows run 30 videos at the same time and not lag?

Recently I purchase the Airport express, can support up to 10 user, allows anyone that logs on to it to play music thru a speaker connect to it, and print to a USB printer.
    effortless to set up.

it'll take a little while to get accustom, but once you get the hang of it. you wouldn't want to use windows anymore. even windows is copying the ideas from mac. just look at vista

Quote Originally Posted by lovells19 View Post
    Get the new Uni body Mac-book 2.4Ghz and upgrade to 4GB ram, you can check funan, sometimes they give free upgrade to 4GB ram or get apple care for $99

How would the white macbook be better?
    then new Unibody mac uses the whole alu body to disperse the heat from the mac, the backlite Keyboard is definately useful

also there's the light sensor thats adjust your screen brightness accordingly.

the new macbook is running on DDR3(1333Mhz) which is a notch faster then the DDR2(667mhz)

I would choose the new macbook over the white one anytime.

I wouldn't bet my last cent on a window based junk
    IMO, the white macbook is a about 90% of the aluminum version for S$500 less. I kind of think that the unibody and trackpad are just 2 sorts of apple gimmicks. I mean, I personally won't be doing any intense scrolling actions anytime.

I do like the aspect of getting 2.4ghz and a backlit keyboard.. but the cost difference with the white will be S$1k. I definitely won't be able to save that much.

I heard from my friends that when he went for a ram upgrade, the technician did it right in front of him, so I think ram can be bought outside of mac stores and DIY'd. As for OS-X vs Windows, I'm prepared for a change of workflow (coming from a 10-year windows user).

IMO, the white macbook is a about 90% of the aluminum version for S$500 less. I kind of think that the unibody and trackpad are just 2 sorts of apple gimmicks. I mean, I personally won't be doing any intense scrolling actions anytime.

I do like the aspect of getting 2.4ghz and a backlit keyboard.. but the cost difference with the white will be S$1k. I definitely won't be able to save that much.

I heard from my friends that when he went for a ram upgrade, the technician did it right in front of him, so I think ram can be bought outside of mac stores and DIY'd. As for OS-X vs Windows, I'm prepared for a change of workflow (coming from a 10-year windows user).
    yes you can DIY they teach you how to, but DDR3 is not available in market now. so only with the white macbook u can DIY just go sim lim, they will help you install on the spot as well

you should pop by the shop, and try both white and alu mac. then judge for yourself

All very well to say "GO MAC!"

and say no to windows. but words of caution.

Mac Messenger, I am heavily dependant on messenger and trust me, Mac messenger is so bad you just wanna trash it.

Macs have very nice dimensions and lines, but they are DENSE, and therefore, its actually quite a weight to lug around.

2 types of notes, PE kit, Macbook, charger, you SURE you can handle the weight from 7-5?

Gaming is tough with a Macbook, seeing how little compatiblity there is.

If you want a windows machine, I have had good experiences with acer travelmates.

Do make the decision carefully, a laptop depreciates very quickly in terms of value and the decision should be made carefully when its 2.4k you are talking here.

Quote Originally Posted by lovells19 View Post
    yes you can DIY they teach you how to, but DDR3 is not available in market now. so only with the white macbook u can DIY just go sim lim, they will help you install on the spot as well

you should pop by the shop, and try both white and alu mac. then judge for yourself
    Eh, i saw DDR3 liao! It's out le. But very costly.

To TS,well, if u r prepared for the change and the expected compatibility issues, then all the best, GO FOR MAC! It does have its advantages over windows in certain aspect lah... BTW, u intending to use Mac OS or Windows OS??

Eh, i saw DDR3 liao! It's out le. But very costly.

To TS,well, if u r prepared for the change and the expected compatibility issues, then all the best, GO FOR MAC! It does have its advantages over windows in certain aspect lah... BTW, u intending to use Mac OS or Windows OS??
    Okay thanks. So DDR2 still is a lot more affordable eh?

I'm planning to use OS-X unless really necessary, then install win xp.

Apple Macbook White

* 2.0 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    * 2GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM - 2x1GB
    * 160GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm
    * NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics
    * Standard keyboard
    * White polycarbonate shell
    * SuperDrive 8x (DVDĪR DL/DVDĪRW/CD-RW)
    * None
    * Keyboard & User's Guide
    * None
    * Apple Mini-DVI to VGA Adapter

Then, depending on whether I like the speed of the notebook, i'll leave the ram as it is, or upgrade it myself to 4GB.

And I'll also purchase the following software for mac
    * Adobe Creative Suite 4 Web Premium (S$99)
    * Adobe Lightroom 2 Educational License (S$150)
    * Microsoft Office for Mac (Cost to be determined-- maybe I'll buy from my friend who has legit spare keys)

In total, it'll cost about S$1850 for a complete and mobile computer. I'm hoping it works. Probably will try to squeeze to get it within the next couple of weeks.

Apple Macbook White

* 2.0 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    * 2GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM - 2x1GB
    * 160GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm
    * NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics
    * Standard keyboard
    * White polycarbonate shell
    * SuperDrive 8x (DVDĪR DL/DVDĪRW/CD-RW)
    * None
    * Keyboard & User's Guide
    * None
    * Apple Mini-DVI to VGA Adapter

Then, depending on whether I like the speed of the notebook, i'll leave the ram as it is, or upgrade it myself to 4GB.
    yep, ram is quite important when you're doing intensive work in Ps etc, but there're diminishing returns after some point. that said, DDR2 ram is so cheap nowadays.

on the other hand, you might be surprised by how much difference a faster hard drive can make though. a 7200rpm drive will cost an arm and a leg, but the new 500gb 5400rpm drives can match the 320gb 7200rpm hdds and are relatively affordable. eg the WD scorpio blue 500gb.

* caveat: i own a 1st gen macbook.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast