Thread: Help with taking pictures

Default Help with taking pictures

Hi all,
    I am having abit of a problem taking photographs of some friends. They are abit on the dark/tanned side and whenever i take photographs of them, the overall photograph is too dark. Post-processing using Picture Project to brighten just results in them looking burnt (reddish). Can anyone please help me? Thanks very much, and much apologies for any offence caused.

Default Re: Help with taking pictures

Try to dial up the exposure. It's known in your manual as exposure compensation. Typically about +2/3 stop to +1 stop should be fine for shooting dark-skinned subjects
    My Personal Folio (of random events and things)

Ah, ok, thank you Stoned.
    Another question: is it ok if i continue to focus on their faces, or should i increase aperture and focus on something more neutral, like a wall instead? Finally, should i focus on the person with the middle complexion (of the lot), or the fairest or..?

Thanks very much for all your help!

try using flash?
    Canon 6D, Canon 450D, Canon F1.8, Canon 55-250, Tamron 17-50 F2.8 VC, Tokina 11-16 F2.8, 580EX

I'm afraid I'm still abit of a flash idiot but will most definitely try it out when i have the time. thanks very much for the tip!

Quote Originally Posted by saurtan View Post
    Another question: is it ok if i continue to focus on their faces, or should i increase aperture and focus on something more neutral, like a wall instead? Finally, should i focus on the person with the middle complexion (of the lot), or the fairest or..?

Perhaps easier to post a picture for critic.

basically read ur meter and adjust ur settings accordingly.
    not sure abt the reddish issue, might be white balance if i think i got u right. . .

Quote Originally Posted by saurtan View Post

I always liked Nikon's metering. With the adjustment, Matrix mode should work just fine.
    My Personal Folio (of random events and things)