Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 3D2N Mt. Kinabalu Climb

Default Re: 3D2N Mt. Kinabalu Climb

Quote Originally Posted by rosgsy View Post
    These walking sticks are way over my budget. Anywhere else can get affordable trekking equipments, sticks, shoes, etc. Thanks.

Once again thank you all for yr information sharing. Cheers
    When I was there, the guide sold me a very solid "all natural" wooden walking stick for RM15. It sure helped alot during the descent...

Hi spaceman,
    care to share how many weeks or months have you book ahead of this trip, esp for the Laban Rata. Individual or group?
    Cos i may be there 1 pax, my kaki still dili-deli.... haiya.

Thanks.
    My buddy and me only decided this week. but lucky managed to book 1 nite at Laban Rata on the 7th March so decide to proceed.

you will be heading there during this time as well?

Quote Originally Posted by foxwagon View Post
    Interesting info
    Sabah KK is one of those things which I plan to do before getting too old.
    Aim to train up some reasonable fitness first.
    Hmm, never climb Mount Kinabalu before, but if you do sports regularly (at least once per week IMO) you do not need train much.

"Mount Kinabalu is known to be one of the most accessible mountain in the world. No specialized mountain climbing skills are required to ascend it. The trail that most tourists use is described as a 'trek and scramble'"
    (source: http://wikitravel.org/en/Mount_Kinabalu)

Mount Kinabalu is relatively easy compare to other mountain in Peninsular Malaysia - Mount Tahan will be more demanding.... You starts 'climbing' Mount Kinabalu from a rather higher altitude (1000 something) - you only climb about 3/4 of its heights (others please correct if wrong) compare to those demanding mountain.

Personal opinion that putting in extra effort into fitness training does help but whether you can complete the climb at the optimum timing i.e sunrise also depends on weather, tho weather during this period should be quite ok. Having fitness also would improve greatly the chance that once you reach up there you won't be too tired to take photos! LoL

Yes, Mt. kinabalu is something like "trek & scramble". The trails are "done" for the tourist as well as the communication structures access somewhere the treck.

If you are season mountain climber, you can apply for special permit to enter the forest to climb at your own risk. But very rare this kind of permit is given. As far as I know, only those foreign military personnels were given the permit to access. And there was 1 incident where the troupe was lost for about a week but survived.

Back to the tourist climb issue, I think most of the singaporean here jog and exercise. Fit enough to "treck" all the way up. Only oxygen concentration level drop when reaching nearly 10k ft or 3000m. Just carry 1 cam with Wide wide angle. your monopod can be your walking stick. battery full charge no problem. Only rain problem most of the time.

Also, bring water... heavy but useful. Don't drink the water from the water tank along the trail.

If you want to enjoy moonlight trecking, climb on about full moon period. The scenes during the midnight climb is awsome, lights of the village and cloud below your feet..... Else a torch light must have and basically you can't really see where you are walking at.

I would advice no heavy trecking boots. Normal shoes with nice cushion is sufficient. And bring enough cash to buy food at the rest house. about RM10 per meal and RM 5 per drink. plain hot water is chargeable as well. Hope the price is still about the same.

And please help to keep the environment clean. Keep your rubbish and dispose when you came back to HQ office.

Oh ya, i think now airasia is having something like zero-fare exclude surcharges if you can issue ticket before 15 Feb 09.

Quote Originally Posted by spaceman View Post
    My buddy and me only decided this week. but lucky managed to book 1 nite at Laban Rata on the 7th March so decide to proceed.

you will be heading there during this time as well?
    wah within a week. that's lucky. i'll probably heading there ard end mar or april, providing i can get same good fare from airasia - $80.00. Anyway, enjoy yr climb. Do feedback when you come back.

Btw, can share where is your overnight stay upon arrival KK and descending from summit?
    Thanks.

wah within a week. that's lucky. i'll probably heading there ard end mar or april, providing i can get same good fare from airasia - $80.00. Anyway, enjoy yr climb. Do feedback when you come back.

Btw, can share where is your overnight stay upon arrival KK and descending from summit?
    Thanks.
    see here ...

Hi! Thanks for the tips! I was kind of toying the idea to wear our SAF army boots!

Will update everyone if I can make it to the top!

Quote Originally Posted by shorty View Post
    Yes, Mt. kinabalu is something like "trek & scramble". The trails are "done" for the tourist as well as the communication structures access somewhere the treck.

If you are season mountain climber, you can apply for special permit to enter the forest to climb at your own risk. But very rare this kind of permit is given. As far as I know, only those foreign military personnels were given the permit to access. And there was 1 incident where the troupe was lost for about a week but survived.

Back to the tourist climb issue, I think most of the singaporean here jog and exercise. Fit enough to "treck" all the way up. Only oxygen concentration level drop when reaching nearly 10k ft or 3000m. Just carry 1 cam with Wide wide angle. your monopod can be your walking stick. battery full charge no problem. Only rain problem most of the time.

Also, bring water... heavy but useful. Don't drink the water from the water tank along the trail.

If you want to enjoy moonlight trecking, climb on about full moon period. The scenes during the midnight climb is awsome, lights of the village and cloud below your feet..... Else a torch light must have and basically you can't really see where you are walking at.

I would advice no heavy trecking boots. Normal shoes with nice cushion is sufficient. And bring enough cash to buy food at the rest house. about RM10 per meal and RM 5 per drink. plain hot water is chargeable as well. Hope the price is still about the same.

And please help to keep the environment clean. Keep your rubbish and dispose when you came back to HQ office.

Oh ya, i think now airasia is having something like zero-fare exclude surcharges if you can issue ticket before 15 Feb 09.

Hi! Thanks for the tips! I was kind of toying the idea to wear our SAF army boots!

Why not the army boot? My friends and I wore it(army gortex) the last time we went...lucky we did, because it rained on our way up and we were lucky not to get wet at all along with waterproof jacket.

And at around 8 degree, I can say army boot is good too.
    Cleanse your thoughts, not by the foods you eat.

Quote Originally Posted by dominator View Post
    Why not the army boot? My friends and I wore it(army gortex) the last time we went...lucky we did, because it rained on our way up and we were lucky not to get wet at all along with waterproof jacket.

And at around 8 degree, I can say army boot is good too.
    hehe, the SAF goretex? good idea!

also dont forget to bring along a pair of glove.
    dont buy those used by construction workers, but get the leather type.
    u will need a lot of grip when climbing from rest house to the peak.
    the leather glove will also warm your hands from strong chilling wind at the peak.

Quote Originally Posted by scud View Post
    also dont forget to bring along a pair of glove.
    dont buy those used by construction workers, but get the leather type.
    u will need a lot of grip when climbing from rest house to the peak.
    the leather glove will also warm your hands from strong chilling wind at the peak.
    Couldn't agree more... I went up without gloves and had damn numb hands at the peak. LoL

Hi guys!

I am thinking of staying 1 night at Kota Kinabalu and leave the next day early morning to the Kinabalu park to start trekking the Mountain.

Has anyone done this before?

Or die die must stay 1 night at one of the hostel at Kinabalu park?

Thanks!

Laban Rata accomadation reservation i know where to book direct. The thing I'm worried is getting the climb permit. As read somewhere, permits are limited and got to have confirmation for laban rata accomdation before climb is allowed.
    Care to share where to book direct for the climb permit or arrangement?

Thanks!
    there's no such a thing as limited climb permit.
    As long as you can secure a lodging in laban rata, you can climb.
    so you just make sure you got the lodging. Just call Sutera Sanctuary, the only operator for the mountain and pay by credit card.

Problem is, it's damn difficult for the call to get through.

Hi guys!

I am thinking of staying 1 night at Kota Kinabalu and leave the next day early morning to the Kinabalu park to start trekking the Mountain.

Has anyone done this before?

Or die die must stay 1 night at one of the hostel at Kinabalu park?

Thanks!
    You don't need to die die stay at the hostel or blah blah in Kinabalu park.

Like mentioned before, you must secure a lodging at the near summit rest house prior allow for the climb. That's the way they make headcount and control.

planning to climb mt. kinabalu as well, and as someone on a shoestring budget, quite worried about the cost. thinking of going there over the may-day (labour day) weekend, just nice for 3d 2n.

Just wondering if those 'backpacker' hostels have specific check-in timings? If don't have, i might do something like this:

30th Apr - 8.05pm flight via AirAsia to Kota Kinabalu, stay in one of KK City's hostel
    1st May - Wake up, catch a bus to Mt. Kinabalu Park HQ, climb up to Laban Rata
    2nd May - Reach for summit, go back down, back to KK city check in to hostel again and SLEEP!
    3rd May - free n easy around KK city, then catch 6/8pm flight back to SG.

just wondering though, would a all-inclusive budget of around 600 - 700SGD be enough? From the travel sites i've visited, got alot alot of fees, and the stuff there is darn expensive.

Entrance fee - 15RM
    climbing permit - 100RM

climbing guide fee:

Timpohon Gate / Peak / Timpohon Gate

1-3 Climbers RM70
    4-6 Climbers RM74
    7-8 Climbers RM80

-----------------

I don't understand the climbing guide thing. the thing is per person right? so 70rm (assuming I can't find more than 3 others, which is likely) + 100RM + 15RM = 185RM or around 90SGD already, and not counting accommodation yet. Airfare also don't know how much for a return trip via Airasia..

anyone can advise on costs?

Quote Originally Posted by sgstvoy View Post
    Just wondering if those 'backpacker' hostels have specific check-in timings? If don't have, i might do something like this:
    no, they don't have check-in timings.
    In fact, I was once charged only for RM5 for 2 hours stay to take a nap while waiting for my flight back LOL

Bro,

I just came back limping from mount Kota Kinabalu yesterday. Yes my trip is exactly what you are planning.

The climbing guide cost is shared. 4 of us got a guide for RM$100, so each of us only pay RM$25

I think i spend total about $400 inclusive of air-ticket + stay + transport + climbing. the most expensive is actually the 1 nite stay at Laban Rata!!

Quote Originally Posted by sgstvoy View Post
    planning to climb mt. kinabalu as well, and as someone on a shoestring budget, quite worried about the cost. thinking of going there over the may-day (labour day) weekend, just nice for 3d 2n.

30th Apr - 8.05pm flight via AirAsia to Kota Kinabalu, stay in one of KK City's hostel
    1st May - Wake up, catch a bus to Mt. Kinabalu Park HQ, climb up to Laban Rata
    2nd May - Reach for summit, go back down, back to KK city check in to hostel again and SLEEP!
    3rd May - free n easy around KK city, then catch 6/8pm flight back to SG.

just wondering though, would a all-inclusive budget of around 600 - 700SGD be enough? From the travel sites i've visited, got alot alot of fees, and the stuff there is darn expensive.

Entrance fee - 15RM
    climbing permit - 100RM

climbing guide fee:

Timpohon Gate / Peak / Timpohon Gate

1-3 Climbers RM70
    4-6 Climbers RM74
    7-8 Climbers RM80

-----------------

I don't understand the climbing guide thing. the thing is per person right? so 70rm (assuming I can't find more than 3 others, which is likely) + 100RM + 15RM = 185RM or around 90SGD already, and not counting accommodation yet. Airfare also don't know how much for a return trip via Airasia..

anyone can advise on costs?
    Last edited by spaceman; 10th March 2009 at 11:32 PM.

Welcome back. Was wondering where you catch the bus to KK. Is it at their main bus station? May i know how much and how long it takes? Thanks.

Bro,

I just came back limping from mount Kota Kinabalu yesterday. Yes my trip is exactly what you are planning.

The climbing guide cost is shared. 4 of us got a guide for RM$100, so each of us only pay RM$25

I think i spend total about $400 inclusive of air-ticket + stay + transport + climbing. the most expensive is actually the 1 nite stay at Laban Rata!!

It does not include airfare...
    MYR 1240 = SGD $514.13
    + airfare est. SGD $200+
    Total est. $700+

Laban Rata accomadation reservation i know where to book direct. The thing I'm worried is getting the climb permit. As read somewhere, permits are limited and got to have confirmation for laban rata accomdation before climb is allowed.
    Care to share where to book direct for the climb permit or arrangement?

Thanks!
    You can get the Climb Permit applied for at the same place u book your Laban rata accomodation
    Stop Shopp'in Start Shoot'in
    What's in my Flickr?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast