OT a bit...
Just curious. Does anyone know if the National Library and Google pay you if they wish to digitise your photos into their database?
1) Till now, you obviously don't understand how a business works even when some of the guys tried to enlighten you nicely initially.
2) If you are an author and everyone turned up at your autograph session with photocopied and binded version of your book, will you sign them? Your publisher can't pay you cos only one book was sold, how would you feel? Write a novel for fun and seek welfare for living expenses?
3) If education shouldn't be about profits......how do you explain why private schools charge exorbitant school fees? The answer is : It's not only because they don't receive subsidies from MOE but also because they want to make money from people who can afford their fees. You have never met student agents and principals of overseas private schools who demand more commission before they will send students over to your private school. They are the leeches of this industry.
4) Lawyers and accountants charge people who ask them questions. Consultation is also a form of education.
5) Newspapers such as "Today" is free for the readers and the cost of publishing the paper is not from excess company fund or staff welfare fund. The cost is bore by the advertisers and the paper make loads of money from the advertisements if you are not aware of it.
6) No one would want to start a business that is not making a profit in the long run. If it's an NGO who asked Nisa for the photo then maybe it's all right for her to give it FOC.
Last edited by cowmera; 12th February 2009 at 09:49 AM.
I'm a cow with a camera
keep this discussion nice and friendly
Last edited by tkbonz; 12th February 2009 at 12:40 PM.
Dun blame the camera...blame the one behind the viewfinder :bsmilie:
My Flickr..pls leave comments!
Yep, I had similar experience with a reputable text-book publisher here, but asking for digital image of my painting (I paint watercolour part-time). They also indicate that it's for educational purpose too.
I replied offering a fee to be paid for the use of my image and I didn't hear from them anymore
for the later, many people will be benefit from your act, but not the organizer.
for giving your work away FREE to the publishers, you only benefit the publishers, but not the people buying the text books. and you also encouraging others to adopt this practice for getting FREE items or services for commercial gain.
and for photographers, there are many ways to get FREE publicity, what you suggest here is the worst idea. If people can get FREE services/things from you now, why should they pay your for your service or things in future?
... possibly without understanding that that "free" in his favorite software advocacy means free as in freedom, not free as in free beer.
Last edited by estel; 17th February 2009 at 12:15 PM.
That's why I keep asking him if he can provide me his company's products for free. But now he says he's a student.
So I invite him now to tell me what is his field of studies. I also need free student writers, free student web designers, free student assistant photographers