Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4789

Thread: give or not?

Default Re: give or not?

Quote Originally Posted by simranjits View Post
    I think you guys have misunderstood the publishing profession , it is actually a very noble profession. The intention is never to profit, most of the time it is at a loss, but it is a labor of love and they are proud of the work they do.
    joke of the month... think you are not aware of the reality of the business world... wait till you finish your schooling and step into the professional world... you will be enlighten...but just make sure you don't choose to be a photographer as your career path. imagine this senario, as a professional photog, a client calls you and said that he is interested in engaging you as a photog for primary text book materials, next day the client come tell you that sorry got a very nice school boy is able to give his photo for free...

OT a bit...

Just curious. Does anyone know if the National Library and Google pay you if they wish to digitise your photos into their database?

1) Till now, you obviously don't understand how a business works even when some of the guys tried to enlighten you nicely initially.

2) If you are an author and everyone turned up at your autograph session with photocopied and binded version of your book, will you sign them? Your publisher can't pay you cos only one book was sold, how would you feel? Write a novel for fun and seek welfare for living expenses?

3) If education shouldn't be about profits......how do you explain why private schools charge exorbitant school fees? The answer is : It's not only because they don't receive subsidies from MOE but also because they want to make money from people who can afford their fees. You have never met student agents and principals of overseas private schools who demand more commission before they will send students over to your private school. They are the leeches of this industry.

4) Lawyers and accountants charge people who ask them questions. Consultation is also a form of education.

5) Newspapers such as "Today" is free for the readers and the cost of publishing the paper is not from excess company fund or staff welfare fund. The cost is bore by the advertisers and the paper make loads of money from the advertisements if you are not aware of it.

6) No one would want to start a business that is not making a profit in the long run. If it's an NGO who asked Nisa for the photo then maybe it's all right for her to give it FOC.

The book don't print free leh brother, of course they have to charge for that what. Ebook is a different matter. They're just trying to educate people. Give them a break. At most they break even from publishing costs. You can sell dvds of open source linux distros. It's legal. CDs don't come free.

Another example, is you can use open office for your work which you may get money from , or your whole office uses it. Think out of the box, its time for change.
    Quote Originally Posted by ahbian View Post
    So newspapers don't educate? You would not give them free? They are giving more publicity you know?
    Education is not about making maximum profit , it's is to nurture and develop the young minds of our great Nation. It is a honorable profession and purpose. Just give it to them la. So ngiao for what?
    Maybe you should share your secret? Write a book about it if you can. It is intriguing . Publish for free will ya?
    Last edited by cowmera; 12th February 2009 at 09:49 AM.
    I'm a cow with a camera

Blog Entries

keep this discussion nice and friendly

Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    keep this discussion nice and friendly
    <--- nice and friendly (but irrelevant) smiley.
    HAVE A NICE DAY!

You must be in some ponzi type scheme , otherwise how you afford d80 as a poor student. Get out while you can bro , otherwise sure burn deep deep .
    Thank you but i'm not in that sort of ponzi scheme... i earn my keep by saving up and giving tuition...and all my gears are 2nd hand.
    Last edited by tkbonz; 12th February 2009 at 12:40 PM.
    Dun blame the camera...blame the one behind the viewfinder :bsmilie:
    My Flickr..pls leave comments!

Yep, I had similar experience with a reputable text-book publisher here, but asking for digital image of my painting (I paint watercolour part-time). They also indicate that it's for educational purpose too.

I replied offering a fee to be paid for the use of my image and I didn't hear from them anymore
    Marvin Chew my flickr
    Be Interesting, Be different!

Quote Originally Posted by mchew View Post
    Yep, I had similar experience with a reputable text-book publisher here, but asking for digital image of my painting (I paint watercolour part-time). They also indicate that it's for educational purpose too.

I replied offering a fee to be paid for the use of my image and I didn't hear from them anymore
    Thats what i said , if you ask for a fee , likelihood is they cannot afford and will not pay and just find another. I think it's free publicity , its a win win situation for both. Of course if you're out to make as much money as possible and money is everything to you, then its up to you. To a lot of people photography is a art , not a business. They eat grass.

Thats what i said , if you ask for a fee , likelihood is they cannot afford and will not pay and just find another. I think it's free publicity , its a win win situation for both. Of course if you're out to make as much money as possible and money is everything to you, then its up to you. To a lot of people photography is a art , not a business. They eat grass.
    it seems that you never saw this video before, you are so naive to think that it is free publicity

the is a great different between this situation comparing to doing it for any charitable cause.

for the later, many people will be benefit from your act, but not the organizer.

for giving your work away FREE to the publishers, you only benefit the publishers, but not the people buying the text books. and you also encouraging others to adopt this practice for getting FREE items or services for commercial gain.

and for photographers, there are many ways to get FREE publicity, what you suggest here is the worst idea. If people can get FREE services/things from you now, why should they pay your for your service or things in future?
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    the is a great different between this situation comparing to doing it for any charitable cause.

for the later, many people will be benefit from your act, but not the organizer.

for giving your work away FREE to the publishers, you only benefit the publishers, but not the people buying the text books. and you also encouraging others to adopt this practice for getting FREE items or services for commercial gain.

and for photographers, there are many ways to get FREE publicity, what you suggest here is the worst idea. If people can get FREE services/things from you now, why should they pay your for your service or things in future?
    Fine , have a shop full of your digital images that nobody will pay for. Sometimes you need a freebie to attract customers.

Fine , have a shop full of your digital images that nobody will pay for. Sometimes you need a freebie to attract customers.
    Freebies are given to PAYING customers. Up till now, you STILL don't get it, do you??

What you're advocating is to SPOIL the market and cause ppl to lose out in the long run. Stop trying to make a fool of yourself here and please respect those working in this line.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Quote Originally Posted by zac08 View Post
    Freebies are given to PAYING customers. Up till now, you STILL don't get it, do you??

What you're advocating is to SPOIL the market and cause ppl to lose out in the long run. Stop trying to make a fool of yourself here and please respect those working in this line.
    Not necessarily, oh well do what you want. Like what the previous posted said, in the end you won't get publicity nor money. So good luck to you with that kind of attitude. Images want to be free , keeping them locked up is not healthy, either to you or to the image. It has to be seen.

So good luck to you with that kind of attitude. Images want to be free , keeping them locked up is not healthy
    Move on guys. Nothing to see here. It's a just kid embarrassing himself on some "open source" high here without knowing what the heck he is talking about.

... possibly without understanding that that "free" in his favorite software advocacy means free as in freedom, not free as in free beer.
    Last edited by estel; 17th February 2009 at 12:15 PM.

vince123123
    Guests

That's why I keep asking him if he can provide me his company's products for free. But now he says he's a student.

So I invite him now to tell me what is his field of studies. I also need free student writers, free student web designers, free student assistant photographers

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4789