Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: give or not?

Default Re: give or not?

Quote Originally Posted by simranjits View Post
    Full credit is given , and it's for a educational book. It will be use to educate the young minds of our great NATION. They are not charging for the printing of your photo as well. Take it as free publicity.
    You are too naive
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

The open source not refering to your photos la , trying to give an example of how something which people have put a lot of effort into and are still willing to give free.
    NOTE THE IMPORTANT fact. Users who edit the Open Source code STILL has to offer it for FREE in the end.

NO ONE makes a PROFIT out of it.

This DOES NOT APPLY here.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Full credit is given , and it's for a educational book. It will be use to educate the young minds of our great NATION. They are not charging for the printing of your photo as well. Take it as free publicity.
    Where do you draw the line whether a book is educational or not? A novel, newspapers, and many other media can educate. A poster can educate. So when representatives from these approach you, claiming their products educate. You still give for free?

As for being thankful that we need not pay them to print our photos....i don't even know where to start on that statement.

Quote Originally Posted by zac08 View Post
    NOTE THE IMPORTANT fact. Users who edit the Open Source code STILL has to offer it for FREE in the end.

NO ONE makes a PROFIT out of it.

This DOES NOT APPLY here.
    The book don't print free leh brother, of course they have to charge for that what. Ebook is a different matter. They're just trying to educate people. Give them a break. At most they break even from publishing costs. You can sell dvds of open source linux distros. It's legal. CDs don't come free.

Another example, is you can use open office for your work which you may get money from , or your whole office uses it. Think out of the box, its time for change.
    Last edited by simranjits; 11th February 2009 at 08:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ahbian View Post
    Where do you draw the line whether a book is educational or not? A novel, newspapers, and many other media can educate. A poster can educate.

As for being thankful that we need not pay them to print our photos....i don't even know where to start on that statement.
    First post already said it was a textbook.

First post already said it was a textbook.
    So newspapers don't educate? You would not give them free? They are giving more publicity you know?

So newspapers don't educate? You would not give them free? They are giving more publicity you know?
    ??? you got read first post or not? what newspaper ?

The book don't print free leh brother, of course they have to charge for that what. Ebook is a different matter. They're just trying to educate people. Give them a break. At most they break even from publishing costs. You can sell dvds of open source linux distros. It's legal. CDs don't come free.

Another example, is you can use open office for your work which you may get money from , or your whole office uses it. Think out of the box, its time for change.
    So wat kind of WORK do you do?

Why don't you give it away free as well... or might as well work for free...

BREAK even?? Hello, do you actually understand business?? No one works for BREAK even. EVERYONE goes for the MAXIMUM profit.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

??? you got read first post or not? what newspaper ?
    I did. And i read your post thats its for education purposes, and we get free publicity.....

I merely provided you with a case where the newspapers approach you for you photos for free. I was wondering if your arguments so far is still valid in this case, cause

1) newspapers (like textbooks) are educational
    2) newspapers (even more than textbooks) give publicity to your photos.

Quote Originally Posted by zac08 View Post
    So wat kind of WORK do you do?

Why don't you give it away free as well... or might as well work for free...

BREAK even?? Hello, do you actually understand business?? No one works for BREAK even. EVERYONE goes for the MAXIMUM profit.
    Education is not about making maximum profit , it's is to nurture and develop the young minds of our great Nation. It is a honorable profession and purpose. Just give it to them la. So ngiao for what?

Education is not about making maximum profit , it's is to nurture and develop the young minds of our great Nation. It is a honorable profession and purpose. Just give it to them la. So ngiao for what?
    I think you have confused the idea of textbook publishers with education itself. If the photos are given to the teachers/schools directly for education purposes, then I would gladly provide the photos for free.

Textbook publishers have no reservations of putting a high price on their books, the only thing regulating the price is the demand curve and the need to satisfy MOE selection criteria. Making their prices altruistically low is not their agenda.

Edited: Added "directly"
    Last edited by ahbian; 11th February 2009 at 08:50 PM.

I did. And i read your post thats its for education purposes, and we get free publicity.....

I merely provided you with a case where the newspapers approach you for you photos for free. I was wondering if your arguments so far is still valid in this case, cause

1) newspapers (like textbooks) are educational
    2) newspapers (even more than textbooks) give publicity to your photos.
    Ah for discussion sakes, ok

newspapers inform , they don't really educate. You can say they report events. Two different things . And in some cases they indoctrinate propaganda.

if newspapers approach me for my photos, they can have it , as long as got credit. But i seriously doubt it as i'm just a hobbyist . It's your choice on this matter.

As bro ahbian has mentioned.

If it was for notes for teachers, I would allow them to use it for educational purposes. But which PUBLISHERS do you know of do it for free?

They are all in it for the money. Or unless you want to open a publishing firm and do it for free as well.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

I think you have confused the idea of textbook publishers with education itself. If the photos are given to the teachers/schools directly for education purposes, then I would gladly provide the photos for free.

Textbook publishers have no reservations of putting a high price on their books, the only thing regulating the price is the demand curve and the need to satisfy MOE selection criteria. Making their prices altruistically low is not their agenda.

Edited: Added "directly"
    Textbook publishers purpose is to produce low cost textbooks for the purpose of education. They are extremely altruistic. They are already trying to save costs by asking for the image free. This cost savings will be passed down to the students.

Textbook publishers purpose is to produce low cost textbooks for the purpose of education. They are extremely altruistic. They are already trying to save costs by asking for the image free. This cost savings will be passed down to the students.
    This is interesting. You seemed to know the profit margin of textbook publishers. Or are you giving them the benefit of the doubt?

This is interesting. You seemed to know the profit margin of textbook publishers. Or are you giving them the benefit of the doubt?
    They just trying to break even la , it's for poor students. Textbooks aren't meant to be exclusively for rich people. They have the interests of the students at heart.

They just trying to break even la , it's for poor students. Textbooks aren't meant to be exclusively for rich people. They have the interests of the students at heart.
    I can only wish you are right. Without saying too much, i deal with textbook publishers on quite a regular basis, you really are too kind and give them too much credit.

I seriously dont think the cost of textbooks is just enough to break even. The employees at the publishing Co. have salaries and yr end bonus. So does the owner of the Co. And these salaries comes from the profits of selling the textbooks.
    Lastly, textbooks are not as cheap as you think. And that is why some of the poor students need to queue up for old textbooks...

Quote Originally Posted by liveevil View Post
    I seriously dont think the cost of textbooks is just enough to break even. The employees at the publishing Co. have salaries and yr end bonus. So does the owner of the Co. And these salaries comes from the profits of selling the textbooks.
    Lastly, textbooks are not as cheap as you think. And that is why some of the poor students need to queue up for old textbooks...

I think you guys have misunderstood the publishing profession , it is actually a very noble profession. The intention is never to profit, most of the time it is at a loss, but it is a labor of love and they are proud of the work they do.

vince123123
    Guests

I don't want freeware and sharewares, I want commercial software for free. That is exactly what you are asking, a commercial photographer to give his work for free.

Do you even know what you are talking about? No one is saying that photographs can be free, but if you ask a commercial provider to give his work for free and then telling him that he needs to look at open source, freeware, shareware, then you are barking up the wrong tree.

That is the reason why I keep asking you to give me YOUR company's products for free, because I know your company definitely will not be an open source, freeware provider. It is easy to say things when you're not the one doing it. It is easy to tell Nisa to give for free when you yourself are NOT WILLING to give it for free.

If you still don't understand, then no one can help you anymore.

Ever heard of free trial? sharewares? freeware? most major software functionality has a open source equivalent. Go download yourself . Why you like cds so much? Musicians are starting to give away music and they earn from Concerts , live performances. Obama is here la bro , time for change , why you still living under a shell?

PS: Btw you keep asking me for open source products , bro , theres something called the internet, use it.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast