Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 175

Thread: give or not?

  1. #61

    Default Re: give or not?

    I don't understand what's the confusion.

    A piece of work is a person's efforts and craft.

    A digital platform is just the medium used to contain the work, which is where the true value lies.

    Going by the logic that "No need to be calculative over everything . It's just a digital image.", then by right, speakers like Anthony Robbins and Bill Clinton should be PAYING PEOPLE to listen to them speak, since by the act of listening, their time is taken up, and we all know that time is a precious commodity. It's a CRIME that speakers like Robbins and Clinton are charging hundreds of thousands to speak at one conference!!! At least a digital file you can take and use; their one only TALK! Take home TALK do what one ah? Got value meh?
    Last edited by Dream Merchant; 11th February 2009 at 01:40 PM.

  2. #62

    Default Re: give or not?

    Simple:

    TS can just divert the publisher to Mr simranjits for any pics that they want or what he have.
    Inferiority Complex Behavior Signature: A900.D3x.M9..I have this and that blah blah...

  3. #63
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Up North......
    Posts
    624

    Default Re: give or not?

    As a hobbyist......... the prime reason I took up photography was that........

    "No two digital image is the same..........." and I accepted this concept and believe in it that every pic you take is unique in itself...
    D300|35mm f/2|85mm f/1.4|18-200 mm VR|17-55mm f/2.8 |70-300 F4-5.6|Tok 11-16 f/2.8|SB800|MB-D10|

  4. #64
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default Re: give or not?

    Hahaha, okay tell me, what do you do as a full time job? I'll be able to create a parallel to your digital vs physical divide for your profession and make sure you give me the digital equilvalents for free hor!

    How about you be a consultant for me for free? After all, time is not "physical". Come to think of it, I don't really care what profession you are in, just give it to me for free.

    Come to the worst, how about you shoot some photographs for me for free too? Its just time, nothing physical involved here.

    Quote Originally Posted by simranjits View Post
    Whats with all the requests for camera and equipment. Whats the confusion between digital and physical things? We're talking about a digital image here not giving away your equipment.

  5. #65
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default Re: give or not?

    Hehehe, he doesn't see the parallel lah! Most pple when their invalid points are reversed back on them, they will realise it doesn't work.

    Quote Originally Posted by tkbonz View Post
    If you have read the earlier posts by vince, he is saying that IF he is conducting a FREE course on photography for EDUCATIONAL PURPOSES, would you (or anyone) give him your camera gears for free since the camera is required to carry out such educational purpose?

    He's trying to draw a parallel to your claim if you realize...similarly, you claim that since its for educational purpose, the pictures (parallel to the camera gear mentioned by vince) should be provided free of charge.

    I believe (as many have posted too) that even the digital image has a cost to it. For the TS's example, i feel that a token sum will do if the publisher is not expected to make a killing for educational purposes.

  6. #66
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default Re: give or not?

    Ah that is actually a good suggestion. Mr Simranjits, care to give us your contact particulars and we will invite panpac to contact you for free photographs. Winners all around.

    Quote Originally Posted by wakaowalao View Post
    Simple:

    TS can just divert the publisher to Mr simranjits for any pics that they want or what he have.

  7. #67

    Default Re: give or not?

    Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    Ah that is actually a good suggestion. Mr Simranjits, care to give us your contact particulars and we will invite panpac to contact you for free photographs. Winners all around.
    Haa, he's using the 24.6mp A900 leh, so any one need super hi-res pics can look for him also.
    Inferiority Complex Behavior Signature: A900.D3x.M9..I have this and that blah blah...

  8. #68

    Default Re: give or not?

    You guys are totally ignorant of the open source concept. Anyways the TS asked whether to give or not , so my opinion is give. Simple. To the person who talked about photoshop, If you need photoshop , use GIMP la . A lot of people spent a lot of effort on it but it's free , just like the browser you are probably using is open source.

    It's the spirit of sharing you guys should embrace. Like i said it's not all about the money.
    An image is only worth how much someone else is willing to pay for it. IT doesn't have any intrinsic value. Even if you count shutter actuation , it is still negligible.

  9. #69

    Default Re: give or not?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    I don't understand what's the confusion.

    A piece of work is a person's efforts and craft.

    A digital platform is just the medium used to contain the work, which is where the true value lies.

    Going by the logic that "No need to be calculative over everything . It's just a digital image.", then by right, speakers like Anthony Robbins and Bill Clinton should be PAYING PEOPLE to listen to them speak, since by the act of listening, their time is taken up, and we all know that time is a precious commodity. It's a CRIME that speakers like Robbins and Clinton are charging hundreds of thousands to speak at one conference!!! At least a digital file you can take and use; their one only TALK! Take home TALK do what one ah? Got value meh?
    Eh theres a limit to how many times he can come up and talk . For digital media , there is a infinite number of times you can duplicate the work. So by giving one copy away for educational use, you don't really lose anything. You can continue selling the image until the world ends. Robbins or clinton can't do that , unless they sell DVDs, and they can give away dvds for charity or some special event.

    IF you still don't understand , nevermind. Sharing is Caring!

  10. #70
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: give or not?

    Quote Originally Posted by simranjits View Post
    You guys are totally ignorant of the open source concept. Anyways the TS asked whether to give or not , so my opinion is give. Simple. To the person who talked about photoshop, If you need photoshop , use GIMP la . A lot of people spent a lot of effort on it but it's free , just like the browser you are probably using is open source.

    It's the spirit of sharing you guys should embrace. Like i said it's not all about the money.
    An image is only worth how much someone else is willing to pay for it. IT doesn't have any intrinsic value. Even if you count shutter actuation , it is still negligible.
    Hello.

    THE work we put into creating an image is not negligible. It can't be PLACED on the OPEN SOURCE CONCEPT unless you are willing to share it for free.

    If you are working in this line, WOULD you give away an image for free when you can GET paid for it?

    You are a HOBBYIST, but there are lots of others who do this for a JOB.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

  11. #71
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default Re: give or not?

    That's why I asked him what his full time job is so that I can get free goods/services from him in his company at his full time job.

    Quote Originally Posted by zac08 View Post
    Hello.

    THE work we put into creating an image is not negligible. It can't be PLACED on the OPEN SOURCE CONCEPT unless you are willing to share it for free.

    If you are working in this line, WOULD you give away an image for free when you can GET paid for it?

    You are a HOBBYIST, but there are lots of others who do this for a JOB.

  12. #72
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default Re: give or not?

    Err, I still want your full time job details so I can go there and get open source goods/services leh. Why you so reluctant? Is it because you only want others to be open source but you yourself cannot be?

    Learn to share more!

    P.S. You totally lost the point about Photoshop which the other poster was trying to make. Nothing unusual I guess.

    Quote Originally Posted by simranjits View Post
    You guys are totally ignorant of the open source concept. Anyways the TS asked whether to give or not , so my opinion is give. Simple. To the person who talked about photoshop, If you need photoshop , use GIMP la . A lot of people spent a lot of effort on it but it's free , just like the browser you are probably using is open source.

    It's the spirit of sharing you guys should embrace. Like i said it's not all about the money.
    An image is only worth how much someone else is willing to pay for it. IT doesn't have any intrinsic value. Even if you count shutter actuation , it is still negligible.

  13. #73
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default Re: give or not?

    Can you help me ask any commercial software maker to give me free CDs can? After all its digital mah!

    While you're at it, how about asking or music publisher to give me free CDs? Or let me download for free?

    When we are at that, I know, help me also ask those DVD or movie makers to give me free digital copies can? After all it is infinite duplication!

    While you're at all of these, can you please tell Odex not to stop teens from downloading anime because its infinite duplication at work here!


    Quote Originally Posted by simranjits View Post
    Eh theres a limit to how many times he can come up and talk . For digital media , there is a infinite number of times you can duplicate the work. So by giving one copy away for educational use, you don't really lose anything. You can continue selling the image until the world ends. Robbins or clinton can't do that , unless they sell DVDs, and they can give away dvds for charity or some special event.

    IF you still don't understand , nevermind. Sharing is Caring!

  14. #74

    Default Re: give or not?

    Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    Can you help me ask any commercial software maker to give me free CDs can? After all its digital mah!

    While you're at it, how about asking or music publisher to give me free CDs? Or let me download for free?

    When we are at that, I know, help me also ask those DVD or movie makers to give me free digital copies can? After all it is infinite duplication!

    While you're at all of these, can you please tell Odex not to stop teens from downloading anime because its infinite duplication at work here!

    Ever heard of free trial? sharewares? freeware? most major software functionality has a open source equivalent. Go download yourself . Why you like cds so much? Musicians are starting to give away music and they earn from Concerts , live performances. Obama is here la bro , time for change , why you still living under a shell?

    PS: Btw you keep asking me for open source products , bro , theres something called the internet, use it.
    Last edited by simranjits; 11th February 2009 at 08:12 PM.

  15. #75

    Default Re: give or not?

    We can't ignore the fact that the company is asking you to give something to them for free, to add to a product they create to sell others for a profit.

    It is not as we share freely with the company and then the company share its books for free.

  16. #76

    Default Re: give or not?

    Quote Originally Posted by zac08 View Post
    Hello.

    THE work we put into creating an image is not negligible. It can't be PLACED on the OPEN SOURCE CONCEPT unless you are willing to share it for free.

    If you are working in this line, WOULD you give away an image for free when you can GET paid for it?

    You are a HOBBYIST, but there are lots of others who do this for a JOB.
    nobody is asking you to do either , someone asked for an opinion. But please realize , Sharing is Caring. Shoot more , but share even more.

  17. #77
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: give or not?

    Quote Originally Posted by simranjits View Post
    Ever heard of free trial? sharewares? freeware? most major software functionality has a open source equivalent. Go download yourself . Why you like cds so much? Musicians are starting to give away music and they earn from Concerts , live performances. Obama is here la bro , time for change , why you still living under a shell?

    PS: Btw you keep asking me for open source products , bro , theres something called the internet, use it.
    OPEN SOURCE is as per OPEN SOURCE. All those who use the product MUST give it away FREE as they have gotten it from the creator.

    Did the publisher of the book say that they WILL GIVE the book free as they have gotten the images free as well??

    Wake UP you ideas.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

  18. #78
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: give or not?

    Quote Originally Posted by simranjits View Post
    nobody is asking you to do either , someone asked for an opinion. But please realize , Sharing is Caring. Shoot more , but share even more.
    I share... online where they can VIEW my pictures.

    NOT leach them into another format where they get paid for it and I get NOTHING.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

  19. #79

    Default Re: give or not?

    Quote Originally Posted by ahbian View Post
    We can't ignore the fact that the company is asking you to give something to them for free, to add to a product they create to sell others for a profit.

    It is not as we share freely with the company and then the company share its books for free.
    Full credit is given , and it's for a educational book. It will be use to educate the young minds of our great NATION. They are not charging for the printing of your photo as well. Take it as free publicity.

  20. #80

    Default Re: give or not?

    Quote Originally Posted by zac08 View Post
    OPEN SOURCE is as per OPEN SOURCE. All those who use the product MUST give it away FREE as they have gotten it from the creator.

    Did the publisher of the book say that they WILL GIVE the book free as they have gotten the images free as well??

    Wake UP you ideas.
    The open source not refering to your photos la , trying to give an example of how something which people have put a lot of effort into and are still willing to give free.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •