Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123458 ... LastLast

Thread: give or not?

Default Re: give or not?

Quote Originally Posted by simranjits View Post
    nah , not everything has a price. No need to be calculative over everything . It's just a digital image.
    "everything doesn't have a price" already ends up at the publisher because they SELL the books to CHILDREN. If they don't donate the books to children, why would someone donate something to the publisher? Are they going to pass that profit to students? Most likely no; they would just pocket it.

Digital mages also have prices. If the creativity is free, then Mona Lisa should cost only the cost of canvas and paint.

vince123123
    Guests

How come you dont reply to my request for you to give me your camera? No need to be calculative over everything mah, its just a mishmash of plastic, metal and maybe some glass.

nah , not everything has a price. No need to be calculative over everything . It's just a digital image.

Ask them go to National Library archives. If NLB refuse to give for free, I don't see why should you do it?

thank you for taking your time to buy ur camera, ur lenses, ur memory cards, ur flashes...and lugging them in a big bag to take a bus/taxi/drive to the destination to take the desired photos/pictures which I like...now all I need to do is /copy, /paste, /rename and voila...I saved all my efforts and got some nice photos which I can use to charge people....
    Nikon D300s, 50mm, 18-105mm, Sigma 30mm F1.4, Sigma 50-150mm F2.8, Samyang 8mm F3.5

You obviously haven't had your photos taken off your website and used for commercial purposes without even crediting or paying you.
    Dun blame the camera...blame the one behind the viewfinder :bsmilie:
    My Flickr..pls leave comments!

Quote Originally Posted by estel View Post
    "everything doesn't have a price" already ends up at the publisher because they SELL the books to CHILDREN. If they don't donate the books to children, why would someone donate something to the publisher? Are they going to pass that profit to students? Most likely no; they would just pocket it.

Digital mages also have prices. If the creativity is free, then Mona Lisa should cost only the cost of canvas and paint.
    imo , credit is good enough. Not everything is about the money la bro. And please don't compare Mona Lisa to a photograph. And how about a photograph of the mona lisa , do i need to credit the photographer as well?

imo , credit is good enough. Not everything is about the money la bro. And please don't compare Mona Lisa to a photograph. And how about a photograph of the mona lisa , do i need to credit the photographer as well?
    I am somewhat hurt by the suggestion from ur statement that my photograph is rubbish, which is not worth anything. Though I had not seen Mona Lisa in my life, that doesn't mean I would go around telling ppl how i do not think too much of it. Likewise, I would think it would be nice if u extend such to me.

Not everything is about money, but it's also not about taking another's work and treating it like rubbish u can just pick up from the street.

I don't know how much plain this can be made. THEY ARE DOING A BUSINESS. THEY ARE MAKING MONEY OUT OF YOUR PHOTO. It's nothing to do with "education" as far as photographer-publisher interface is concerned, as "for education" condition is already broken by the publisher by selling books to children.

Mona Lisa picture may be different but the basic facts remain the same. If you say picture is free because it cost nothing physically, then mona lisa must only cost what it physically holds: canvas and oil. If you want the exact kind of examples, then try going to a software shop and buy a Windows Vista DVD for the cost of DVD, 50 cents per "electronic" copy.

vince123123
    Guests

Why dont you give me your camera and equipment? The students will be really grateful and I promise to give you a special mention and credit as doner can?

By the way, what's your full time job? I want to go to your company to get free products too. I'll give you credit as well! After all, not everything is about money la right?

At first, I thought it was an insult for the questioner to give such a lame excuse as "for education", trying to con someone's hard work for free. Now I see why they practice such kind of gimmic. Sometimes they do seem to work.

How right P.T. Barnum was.

Quote Originally Posted by Nisa View Post
    I am somewhat hurt by the suggestion from ur statement that my photograph is rubbish, which is not worth anything. Though I had not seen Mona Lisa in my life, that doesn't mean I would go around telling ppl how i do not think too much of it. Likewise, I would think it would be nice if u extend such to me.

Not everything is about money, but it's also not about taking another's work and treating it like rubbish u can just pick up from the street.
    Not comparing your photo la , just any photo. I mean to compare a physical object to something that is digital which you can make 1000 copies in a second is a bit amusing. Try making a copy of a mona lisa painting and see how long it takes you. Live and let live. The likelihood is that they just won't use your photo and use another one.

Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    Why dont you give me your camera and equipment? The students will be really grateful and I promise to give you a special mention and credit as doner can?

By the way, what's your full time job? I want to go to your company to get free products too. I'll give you credit as well! After all, not everything is about money la right?
    Whats with all the requests for camera and equipment. Whats the confusion between digital and physical things? We're talking about a digital image here not giving away your equipment.

digital image also need time and effort to get ma.including training and equip ma
    to make a man broke, give him a camera
    flickr

Whats the confusion between digital and physical things? We're talking about a digital image here not giving away your equipment.
    So according to you, Adobe CS4 must be free if I bear the cost of copying to DVDs?

imho, the influence of free photos partly comes from national archive.

those pictures do cost a professional fee for commercial publication.

However, if used for educational purpose, they just charge a small token.

i had bought pictures from the archive for educational purposes. It really is the spirit of sharing.

However, if they found out the pictures are used for commercial ads, selling, they will take action.

So, be informed that there are really such market practice. But, as an individual, no one can judge you on whichever way you want to deal with a commercial party.

Whats with all the requests for camera and equipment. Whats the confusion between digital and physical things? We're talking about a digital image here not giving away your equipment.
    If you have read the earlier posts by vince, he is saying that IF he is conducting a FREE course on photography for EDUCATIONAL PURPOSES, would you (or anyone) give him your camera gears for free since the camera is required to carry out such educational purpose?

He's trying to draw a parallel to your claim if you realize...similarly, you claim that since its for educational purpose, the pictures (parallel to the camera gear mentioned by vince) should be provided free of charge.

I believe (as many have posted too) that even the digital image has a cost to it. For the TS's example, i feel that a token sum will do if the publisher is not expected to make a killing for educational purposes.
    Last edited by tkbonz; 11th February 2009 at 11:37 AM.

Not comparing your photo la , just any photo. I mean to compare a physical object to something that is digital which you can make 1000 copies in a second is a bit amusing. Try making a copy of a mona lisa painting and see how long it takes you. Live and let live. The likelihood is that they just won't use your photo and use another one.
    Are you saying that if the means of obtaining something in terms of time and technology is relatively easy = it is also cheaper???

Quote Originally Posted by contaxable View Post

i had bought pictures from the archive for educational purposes. It really is the spirit of sharing.
    Publishing books to sell to students is a commercial purpose.

If a student wanted Nisa's picture on his school project, it may be considered as an educational purpose.

Cannot be free. Charge some money.
    Eat breath LIVERPOOL!!!

If don't talk money to publisher, then talk what?? They are earning money, and we need money to upgrade and even maintain of camera.
    Eat breath LIVERPOOL!!!

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123458 ... LastLast