Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12347 ... LastLast

Thread: give or not?

Default Re: give or not?

no money no talk, remember this phase "there's no free lunch in this world".
    Last edited by Simon_84; 10th February 2009 at 12:01 AM.

Don't give.....unless they print the textbook and give out for free.

Those publisher are earning by selling those books!!!!!!

i think 4 figure is good for (1) edition as Deadpoet stated

Quote Originally Posted by simranjits View Post
    I would say give it away free , since it's for education.
    I wonder what is your profession? would you do it for free?

Spare a thought for those earning a living out of photography... these are nothing but tactics used to get something for free, cheapskates simply.

Short answer to TS, Not.

../azul123

Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    Whilst the final product is for educational purposes, the company publishing the textbook is not doing it for educational purposes. They are using it as a pure commercial venture for commercial gains.

Hi SOMEONE,

Thanks for your offer. I am flatten about my images are able to be used the school text books.
    But after I consult my seniors, mentors, accountants, attorneys, Queen's Counsel, and also my father and mother.
    All of them pointed out it has to be carried out as per usual commercial practice strictly.
    We will negotiate a price for my images in such usage, please let me know how .................

Hope to hear from you real soon.

Regards
    ME
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

vince123123
    Guests

I find him signing off as "SOMEONE" a real insult to begin with :P

I find him signing off as "SOMEONE" a real insult to begin with :P
    I think the real name as been mask out, replace with the word "SOMEONE" to protect the "innocent".

Are you 'someone'??????? hehehe.......

I'm a hobbyist but I still believe there is a price for everything...... that includes the copyright of the photos. Cheers!
    D300|35mm f/2|85mm f/1.4|18-200 mm VR|17-55mm f/2.8 |70-300 F4-5.6|Tok 11-16 f/2.8|SB800|MB-D10|

vince123123
    Guests

Hmm, well I feel that there is no harm in naming him/her and I thought the company was originally named as well. With an email as evidence, there is little risk in a defamation action. Hence, I'm not sure why anyone wants to mask out.

I was just about to email PanPac to tell them on their bad actions then I realised that has been edited to be masked out too

I always found such identity removed threads of limited effect. With an email, there is sufficient defence against defamation so I'm not sure what other concerns there are.

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    I think the real name as been mask out, replace with the word "SOMEONE" to protect the "innocent".

Just like those working in charity organizations are not working as charity.

Hmm, well I feel that there is no harm in naming him/her and I thought the company was originally named as well. With an email as evidence, there is little risk in a defamation action. Hence, I'm not sure why anyone wants to mask out.

I was just about to email PanPac to tell them on their bad actions then I realised that has been edited to be masked out too

I always found such identity removed threads of limited effect. With an email, there is sufficient defence against defamation so I'm not sure what other concerns there are.
    TS is just simply seeking opinions on how to deal with such requests, I don't think there is a need to expose the company or person.

Nisa

tell them they can use the image for free, but there is an admin fee of $250 per picture. ensure it is used for one print/edition for one book or they will mass utilise the picture indefinitely.

as for panpac, i happened to have a few long chats with the boss there. it is tough riding in periodicals trade now given the weak inclination for paid ads to help publication firms reap high profits.
    Last edited by contaxable; 10th February 2009 at 11:33 AM.

vince123123
    Guests

I think if this is the case, it may be better to simply narrate the request than to cut and paste the whole email thread.

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    TS is just simply seeking opinions on how to deal with such requests, I don't think there is a need to expose the company or person.

Thank you for all the advice.

I didn't mean to "expose" anyone or any company. I just prefer to present the case as it is, so there would be as little misunderstandings as possible.

vince123123
    Guests

Hehe so have you made your decision and/or replied him yet?

Ask them out for lunch to talk about it. And invite your fellow photographers (like people from CS who have given you advice) to this lunch. After that, go discuss the contract details at a KTV with lots of chio bu.

Then you will consider.

Business deals always discuss like that mah.

I believe DP also mentioned earlier that you are selling the rights to use your photos for that particular edition only, and it's implied that future use of your photos will attract future charges.

If you're collecting payment, and I'm also of the opinion that you should... remember to get in writing, the terms of usage. Perhaps vince123123 can suggest some limited usage rights phrasing.

A publisher who's selling textbooks for primary school kids have a "captive customer" situation. More so, if the textbook is recommended as a compulsory text. So they stand to make an assured profit out of it, as the numbers for sale is very predictable under those circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by Nisa View Post
    give or not?
    NO.... they are not giving the books away for free. UNLESS they can achieve that, then I will give it for free....
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Quote Originally Posted by smalltake View Post
    Are you 'someone'??????? hehehe.......

I'm a hobbyist but I still believe there is a price for everything...... that includes the copyright of the photos. Cheers!
    nah , not everything has a price. No need to be calculative over everything . It's just a digital image.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12347 ... LastLast