Thread: shooting to the sun will cause CCD damage?

Default shooting to the sun will cause CCD damage?

really or not ,anyone tried b4?

dun tin so la....

Read somewhere on the net that Long exposures like more than 1 min on bright lights can cause damage to CCDs. Just be very careful on nights shot too.

When I was still a kid, a favourite pass time of mine was to use a magnifying glass to focus the sunlight into a little spot to burn ants or create "artwork" on wood and paper.

The magnifying glass does not need to be to large to be able to collect enough energy to burn stuff...and the ants die rather fast...

When you shoot directly into the sun, what you do to the CCD is the same as what I did to the ants....

The larger the lens aperture, the higher the engery level is focused on a small area on the CCD, and the higher the risk of damaging it.
    As complexity rises, precise statements lose meaning and meaningful statements lose precision.

u can try and let us know
    Quote Originally Posted by tweakmax2
    dun tin so la....

i suppose as long as ur pic isnt superbly overexposed... its still alright. i mean pple still shoot sunrises sunsets... as long as its not overexposed, ie, too bright for ur sensors, its ok.