Thread: Give me reasons....

Default Give me reasons....

not to buy a cheap 2nd hand Canon 85mm 1.2 lens

There's a scratch at the rear lens element,

but the len's advantages is and 2/3 of average 2nd hand price is out-weighting that...

I've another few hours to decide...
    Last edited by Lolrence; 8th February 2009 at 05:00 AM.

Default Re: Give me reasons....

Have you shot with it? Set it at various F-Stops to see how bad the scratch has made the shot. Usually the scratch would be more apparent at certain F-stops but at others, it might not be seen. ( Especially if this is a full frame and you are using it with a DSLR that has the crop factor. How famous is this lens for sharpness? If you get it now, how much would it cost to change the rear element? I think this are some of the things to think about if you really want to buy it. 2/3 of a second hand price for one that is not scratch is quite tempting heheh.. but some people just can't stand having anything like a scratch on what they buy. heheh.. for me, if the scratch is not apparent for what I want to use it for then I have no problem buying it. At the very least I might sent it in for a change of element later on.

Quote Originally Posted by sammy888 View Post
    Have you shot with it? Set it at various F-Stops to see how bad the scratch has made the shot. Usually the scratch would be more apparent at certain F-stops but at others, it might not be seen. ( Especially if this is a full frame and you are using it with a DSLR that has the crop factor. How famous is this lens for sharpness? If you get it now, how much would it cost to change the rear element? I think this are some of the things to think about if you really want to buy it. 2/3 of a second hand price for one that is not scratch is quite tempting heheh.. but some people just can't stand having anything like a scratch on what they buy. heheh.. for me, if the scratch is not apparent for what I want to use it for then I have no problem buying it. At the very least I might sent it in for a change of element later on.
    I've not test the lens out yet... anyway, I've pushed the meeting to a later date
    I'll probably be using this at f1.2 most of the time (and on a crop factor cam cause i've no $$$ for a full frame ), so I'm not sure how much the scratch is gonna affect the photos... I'm not that picky with the condition of the lens, unless I can see the defects on the photos.... either way, guess I'll have to test out the lens first...

I assume changing the element at the back is gonna cost?

I've more time to decide.... pull me away from the dark side
    Last edited by Lolrence; 8th February 2009 at 06:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lypklypk View Post
    There's a scratch at the rear lens element,
    because you will know that there are perfect copies out there, and that you could have had one of them but you chose the nonperfect copy for 1/3 of the 2nd hand price.

but seriously though, it all depends on your own personal tolerance.

i know i won't get it, because the scratch looks pretty bad from the picture you have posted. in fact, is it a scratch, or a cracK?

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    i know i won't get it, because the scratch looks pretty bad from the picture you have posted. in fact, is it a scratch, or a cracK?
    It looks like a scratch to me.. I won't know how bad it is until I actually view it...
    But at least it's not like this http://www.lensrentals.com/news/2008...ment-scratches

Oh, and it's not 1/3, it's 2/3... hehe. But that's still a full $500+ off....

1/3 off the usual 2nd hand price ... as calculated is $500+ ...

If NOTHING else could possibly be wrong ...

It probably costs $200 or less to replace a normal (read: non-aspherical or UD) element ... but it's best to call Canon and check first ...

I would be a bit more concerned as to HOW the scratch got there in the first place.

The choice is yours.

All the best.

I guess key thing is whether the scratch affect your pictures, and that you can only tell by testing the actual lens (and bringing your laptop?).

Have you asked the seller on which settings the flaw (if any) would be apparent? Or asked him to post pictures taken with the lens?