Thread: wat's a lens hood for?

Default wat's a lens hood for?

what is it for?
    and any lens hood for the Canon G1?
    Panasonic G3 | Minolta X700 | Minolta X370 | Pentax Asahi Spotmatic | Pratika MTL 3 | Panasonic Lx3

Quote Originally Posted by overcrash
    what is it for?
    and any lens hood for the Canon G1?
    Hi overcrash,

The lens hood is for to block out any unwanted lights and rays from the bright sunlight of anything very bright, well it doesn't exactaly block completely but its just only helps to reduces it. Hmm as for lens hood for G1 i'm not so sure if they have.....

Cheers,
    Henry

also serves as some sort of protection for your front element or filter against knocks

it does prevent light splashing during a drizzle too on the lens. There r some rubber hoods u can buy that comes in standard thread size. I bought a retractable Hoya hood with 62mm thread a few mths back.

Borrow your thread....

Hmm.. any difference between those "flower" hood and those normal ones?

So SLR lenses are using flower hoods, some are using normal ones. Any differences?

Thanks.

Petal hoods are generally come with specific lenses and are meant to avoid vignetting with the wide angle end of most zooms.

Telephoto primes usually have only round hoods.

Quote Originally Posted by horizoner
    it does prevent light splashing during a drizzle too on the lens. There r some rubber hoods u can buy that comes in standard thread size. I bought a retractable Hoya hood with 62mm thread a few mths back.
    first of all thanx everybody for their reply!
    really clears my doubt.
    next is is there any hood for 52mm thread?
    Panasonic G3 | Minolta X700 | Minolta X370 | Pentax Asahi Spotmatic | Pratika MTL 3 | Panasonic Lx3

andylee
    Guests

Quote Originally Posted by overcrash
    first of all thanx everybody for their reply!
    really clears my doubt.
    next is is there any hood for 52mm thread?
    Try the hoya multi hood, but not G'teed to work with your lens.Buy at your own risk...

Flower hood only applies to the newer wide angle lens like 24-85mm lens, my 24-50 f4 dun even have flower hoods, too old lian, 1st generation mah.

Quote Originally Posted by andylee
    Try the hoya multi hood, but not G'teed to work with your lens.Buy at your own risk...

Flower hood only applies to the newer wide angle lens like 24-85mm lens, my 24-50 f4 dun even have flower hoods, too old lian, 1st generation mah.
    any idea how much it cost?

Default ...One More thing....

Hiee...

One additional thing about flower hood......they are normally used or matched with wide angles which have INTERNAL FOCUS ELEMENTS.....

The Front ring does not turn while focussing hence allowing these type of hoods to be used.

The Flower hood in some cases also help to minimise motion - especially if you do mountainous area landscape.......as the flower hood will not act like a wind cup.

A normal hood have a tendency of cupping the frontal wind that are normal at windy places....

regards,
    me....

thanx sulhan.
    any idea of any place i can get a hoya 52mm lens hood?
    wish to get one to try out on my G1.

more interested in macro photography nowadays.
    thanx!

I am looking for a flower lens hood too for my minolta 7hi. It uses a 49mm thread and getting the orignal takes too long and its rather expensive. Are there any 3rd party flower lens hood available in 49mm size?