Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Olympus E520 or Nikon D60?

Default Re: Olympus E520 or Nikon D60?

Looks like "ambassadors" of each brand are starting to show up to aid you in your buying decision..

Like what Galdor has wisely said, whichever brand you go for is really not that important. You can see beautiful works in the subforums of each system here.

How good built-in IS is would be a topic that has been debated to death in photography forums. I feel that while IS is rather useful in most general situations, there are times when a camera with no IS but 2-stops less noise at high ISOs would work better, e.g. if you want to freeze moving subject(s) in low-light environments, you cannot do it on an olympus without a) using a lower ISO+IS, leading to motion blur on your subjects, or b) using a high ISO eg. 1600 to freeze motion, but leading to a noisy picture. I do use noise removal software, however removing heavy noise will bound to incur some image detail loss.

If this is too technical right now i apologize, but basically i am trying to say IS is a "convenient to have" feature in some poor light situations. You should probably be bringing a tripod and ring flash for serious macro work anyway.

And o yea the dust reduction system in olympus works well, i hardly ever encounter problems with dust

Quote Originally Posted by mangosky View Post
    Hi guys!

I'm a total newbie and getting my first dslr. I'm contemplating between these 2 brands. Olympus seems to be a good value for money as the Kit2 comes with additional lens.

What's your take on this?
    having used both of these cameras, I would say it depends on your future needs. olympus e520 can take len with vibration reduction. performance wise, it's personal preference but e520 feels more solid.
    Take nothing but photographs, leave nothing but footprints...
    banlist:96165209,83819398

Quote Originally Posted by prolensdreamer View Post
    my personal experience- I will follow the majority as when you encounter problem, there are many of them with the same brand cams will offer helps and that will made you days less stressso my take- D60
    Many user doesn't mean they are all helpful. I've came across users of a major camp putting others down becos the 'newbies' are using a lower end cam and seems like the layout & function are slightly different although it's from the same brand. From this incident, I personally felt that it doesn't mean that you will be able to get a lot of help if others are not using the same model as you.

In actual fact, I am using a 'not-so popular' brand and I have gotten a lot of help from the bros I've met and they are all very willing to share with me and guide me. I've even got offers from bros who are willing to travel and meet up with me just to ascertain the problems I have faced with my cam.
    Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony

I am currently an Olympus E-510 user. I have been using it for more than a year.

The images taken using the kit lens is of quite good quality.

I also bought the 0.5x tele-converter (3rd party) and Olympus external flash and Olympus 70-300mm (140-600mm eqv) lens.

It costs me less than $2000 in total.

Pros: Lenses and accessories from Olympus are RELATIVELY affordable.

Cons: Unable to find many 3rd party lenses (only sigma have a few), accessories (e.g. lens adapter- nikon lenses on canon body, vice versa).

Decide for your own DSLR.

Hi guys!

I really appreciate the awesome respond, help and views. No matter how much I reason myself to get a Canon or Nikon, somehow the gut's saying it gotta be an Oly hehe. So yeah, hopefully I can start clicking away at Botanic Garden this weekend

Cheers!

Hi guys!

I really appreciate the awesome respond, help and views. No matter how much I reason myself to get a Canon or Nikon, somehow the gut's saying it gotta be an Oly hehe. So yeah, hopefully I can start clicking away at Botanic Garden this weekend

Cheers!
    Congrat on your purchase. If I were you, I'd pick the E520 out of the two too.

Hi guys!

Cheers!
    get the twin 70-300mm rather than getting the twin 40-150mm kit.

invest abit i must say. so you wont regret like me. i kena poison here and there and now searching for a 2nd hand 70-300mm. The more you learn about the photography the more things you want to "invest'

Haha yeah! I took the KitIII with 70-300mm. Went to Flickr and joined couple of groups. Apparently over 2k members for the E-510/520 groups! Seen the shot they took with the baby and boy are they gorgeous! Can't wait! Can't wait! hahah

Quote Originally Posted by Dummyhalf View Post
    get the twin 70-300mm rather than getting the twin 40-150mm kit.

invest abit i must say. so you wont regret like me. i kena poison here and there and now searching for a 2nd hand 70-300mm. The more you learn about the photography the more things you want to "invest'

Actually if you wer going with Olympus type of body should check out Sony and Pentax as well. But since buy already enjoy-lah.
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

Congrats on your new purchase. Happy shooting.
    Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony

Hi Guys!

Just an update. I've got my e520 and here's my very first few shots heheh .. nothing spectacular, but thoroughly pleased with the sharpness .. still long way to go, lot of things to learn.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12