Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Questions on lens elements and shutter blades

Default Re: Questions on lens elements and shutter blades

Quote Originally Posted by two200 View Post
    Sorry, maybe wrong comparison. How about this comparison: Canon EF70-300 f4-5.6 with 15 element with Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 with 13 element? Just from this specification alone and not from brand name reputation, can any inference be made about which lens is better; akin to comparing computer specs before purchase
    Obviously the Canon one has more elements due to IS.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

Quote Originally Posted by two200 View Post
    For example I noticed that the Canon L lens usually has more lens element than the cheaper lens eg EF 50mm f1.2L has 8 lens elements with 8 aperture blades whilst the EF 50mm f1.8 has only 6 lens elements with 5 aperture blades.
    Increasing the number of lens elements adds more degree of freedom in correction of aberrations for the lens designer, especially a lens of such a huge aperture such as the 50mmf1.2.

Ryan

Thanks for all the replies. Now I have a better understanding of lens elements and aperture blades.
    Idea got, execution not!
    APAD|Travelogue

to add on a question...er...big huge lens have more elements?..
    coz at shopping mall..i always c those ppl use super huge lens..whereas kit lens is like..only using 58mm filter....those big lens r like...77mm or +++...
    cheers

Quote Originally Posted by FireZ View Post
    to add on a question...er...big huge lens have more elements?..
    coz at shopping mall..i always c those ppl use super huge lens..whereas kit lens is like..only using 58mm filter....those big lens r like...77mm or +++...
    From your 18-55 kit lens with 58mm filter to a well-reputable 17-40 L grade lens with 77mm filter it's only one lens element difference.

and 2 58mm thread lenses like the 50 1.4 vs 70-300 IS is like 10 elements difference?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12