Thread: travelling equipment on budget

Default travelling equipment on budget

hey all will be travelling to some places like vietnam cambodia and thailand but only with 330 for my budget not sure whether i should get a benro tripod or a flash.

I really want to get the best out my trips.

Seen some post. tripod will be good for hdr but not sure whether i am up to it with only a few days at each location.

Or a flash to take portraits. Anyone with experience could u share a bit thanks.
    nikon d40x 18-55
    Photography is the new silence concept

Default Re: travelling equipment on budget

Quote Originally Posted by snapO View Post
    hey all will be travelling to some places like vietnam cambodia and thailand but only with 330 for my budget not sure whether i should get a benro tripod or a flash.

I really want to get the best out my trips.

Seen some post. tripod will be good for hdr but not sure whether i am up to it with only a few days at each location.

Or a flash to take portraits. Anyone with experience could u share a bit thanks.
    HDR is just take a few different exposure shots, anyone can do it. But HDR needs tripod. Flash, you need to buy batteries after that. And provided you need to take alot of night shots of people. If not, your in-built should work. But you need to buy extra batt because heavy duty flash drains batteries
    Canon 6D, Canon 450D, Canon F1.8, Canon 55-250, Tamron 17-50 F2.8 VC, Tokina 11-16 F2.8, 580EX

You will need both eventually if your interest in photography stays. I think a tripod is more useful especially for night landscape shots. Flash would be good for indoor shots. anyway, I went for a holiday without either and came back with quite many a wonderful shots as well. You may perhaps consider getting a fast 50mm?
    I say the lens is the soul of a camera. What about the body? Well, it's just the body...

I think you should bring a tripod more than a flash. I don't know how much portraits you'd be taking, but I imagine that going to such scenic places, most of your shots (well, most of mine if I were to go) would be of landscapes, especially trying to catch sunrises & sunsets. Flash is useless for that. *shrugs* But that's just me. Eventually, yes, I'd have both anyways. Personally, I got my tripod before I got my flashes. =)
    incywincyspider climbup the waterspout...

tripod...definatly...

can use to take group shots too...

get a wireless remote too...

cost less than 150 altogether if u grab a cheap tripod.

tripod most definitely for me... flash r useless with scenic shots

actually can go for the Benro self standing monopod if your camera setup is pretty light. Flash is definitely a must in my experience.
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

It really depends on yourself.

What do you shoot more? Do you want to lug a tripod on your travel?

Personally, I use my flash more than my tripod as I shoot macro more than landscapes.
    Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony

Quote Originally Posted by fongi View Post
    tripod most definitely for me... flash r useless with scenic shots
    Quote Originally Posted by karnage View Post
    I think you should bring a tripod more than a flash. I don't know how much portraits you'd be taking, but I imagine that going to such scenic places, most of your shots (well, most of mine if I were to go) would be of landscapes, especially trying to catch sunrises & sunsets. Flash is useless for that. *shrugs* But that's just me. Eventually, yes, I'd have both anyways. Personally, I got my tripod before I got my flashes. =)
    A flash will be beneficial if you want to show people inside a sunrise or sunset scene unless silhouette effect is what you are looking for.

For photographic trip all by myself, it will be just the scenic but if my wife is with me, do you think I can take photo without her in the picture? She will tell me "Why are you taking all these pictures without me?"

Think about if you are willing to take your tripod around with you while travelling.
    If you are, it is great for landscape shots, but if u shoot during the day, you may or may not need it so much. You will need it if you are shooting night landscapes.

As for flash, I personally don't use them. If you are taking portraits, don't you think it'll be nice to take during the day, with the landscapes acting as the backdrop?
    If you want group shots, you may need the tripod then.

Just my $0.02

Quote Originally Posted by CS TAN View Post
    A flash will be beneficial if you want to show people inside a sunrise or sunset scene unless silhouette effect is what you are looking for.
    I think for these kind of photos, if the group is not very big, the in-built flash of your camera is good enough, especially if you can adjust the flash output.

Quote Originally Posted by thenomad View Post
    Think about if you are willing to take your tripod around with you while travelling.
    If you are, it is great for landscape shots, but if u shoot during the day, you may or may not need it so much. You will need it if you are shooting night landscapes.

As for flash, I personally don't use them. If you are taking portraits, don't you think it'll be nice to take during the day, with the landscapes acting as the backdrop?
    If you want group shots, you may need the tripod then.

Just my $0.02
    Haha! I also agree that if you're not gonna take sunrise/sunset/night landscapes, you might not need a tripod too. As for group shots, u guys can take turns to take photo of the group. Though not everyone can be in the photo at once, you offset the burden of a tripod. Everyone likes to go as light as possible. So you have to think about your trip and the group dynamics, as well as the kind of photos you'd be taking.
    incywincyspider climbup the waterspout...

thanks guys for all your help. i think it will be good if i can go there and get sunrise and sunset as i dont see it often here in singapore becasue of all the HDBss lol... anyway thanks a lot. will get the tripod. flash can wait.
    nikon d40x 18-55
    Photography is the new silence concept