Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

Thread: Laments

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    State of Confusion
    Posts
    2,196

    Unhappy Laments

    Just got back my wedding shots, and frankly speaking, the wifey and I are quite disappointed with the results. Not say I want to talk big, but I think even I can take better shots than this pro. I already had a bad feeling about it when he seemed a little unsure of what he was doing, and that at the end of the day, he said something like "if my shots don't turn out good, I do apologise in advance". I've never heard a pro talk like that before.

    So anyway, I called up the boss of this company and fedback to him that they ought to be sending more experienced photographers to cover important events such as weddings. He insisted that the guy he sent was experienced, that he was their "main photographer" and had been "doing this for years".

    I doubt it.

    Okay, his shots were not bad bad, but for the 800 bucks we forked out, I think we had the right to expect better. His shots were very ordinary at best. There was nothing that I thought I couldn't do myself. Fundamentals of composition were poor. No apparent concept of "rule of thirds", tried to cram everything in instead of isolating the subject, etc.

    Oh well, whatever. Bummer isn't it? Haven't you ever wished that you could be your own photographer during your own special occasions? Us snappers either never get seen in the photos we take, or when someone else takes a photo of us, many a times we just look odd in the pic...

    *sigh*
    Last edited by synapseman; 6th October 2003 at 08:58 AM.
    Sony Alpha system user. www.pbase.com/synapseman

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Punggol Drive
    Posts
    111

    Default Laments

    hi synapseman
    sorry to hear about your lousy expierience. perhaps you could post them

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by emollientcolt
    hi synapseman
    sorry to hear about your lousy expierience. perhaps you could post them
    ya. let us see the 'quality' of the photos..

  4. #4

    Default

    Anyway, did you go through with the photographer the type of pics you were expecting? Maybe his style differs from your taste or he just went through the motions of record shots.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    State of Confusion
    Posts
    2,196

    Default

    We went to their booth at some exhibition @ S'pore Expo. We saw their shots and they did look good. The photographer of those shots also said that he'd be the one doing the job for us, but in the end they sent someone else.

    Well, frankly I am not too keen on putting up my wedding shots anyplace online. Hope you understand. But take it from me, it was very ordinary. I've seen many wedding event shoots, and looking at ours, we thought we'd just be consoling ourselves if we said they were "nice". Definitely not worth the 800 bucks we forked out.

    On the positive side, all I can say is that I now realise that I don't suck that much as a photographer after all!
    Sony Alpha system user. www.pbase.com/synapseman

  6. #6
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default

    actually if the shop promise they will send photographer X, and u awarded the job to the shop based on X's work, they are in breach of contract if they send you Y instead to cover the job.



    Quote Originally Posted by synapseman
    We went to their booth at some exhibition @ S'pore Expo. We saw their shots and they did look good. The photographer of those shots also said that he'd be the one doing the job for us, but in the end they sent someone else.

    Well, frankly I am not too keen on putting up my wedding shots anyplace online. Hope you understand. But take it from me, it was very ordinary. I've seen many wedding event shoots, and looking at ours, we thought we'd just be consoling ourselves if we said they were "nice". Definitely not worth the 800 bucks we forked out.

    On the positive side, all I can say is that I now realise that I don't suck that much as a photographer after all!

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    New York, New York!
    Posts
    330

    Default

    well, this is an extremely bad experience. however, if u had a back-up photographer, then things might not be that bad... u get a second opinion and the impact is significantly reduced.

    but then again, for S$800... is this some kind of a special offer or package? i think it is too low a fee for wedding photography.

    u should continue to complain bitterly but even if they refund 50% of the amount to u, it is never enough. anyway, how often do we get married and have the customary wedding dinner? for those of us lucky enough, it is once in a lifetime.

  8. #8
    Moderator Clown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,779

    Default

    actually u could also have posted here asking for maybe 3 photogs who will cover ur wedding for 'kopi money' hehehehe... i'm quite sure u'll get better shots and much more.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    beebox
    Posts
    2,078

    Default

    Aiyo,
    it is right for u to feel the photography is not up to standard,but not nice to say u can produce better shots without any credibilties..
    As for those who think they can produce much better shots than pro,i think it is a waste to all that u guys never go pro..

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sadness
    well, this is an extremely bad experience. however, if u had a back-up photographer, then things might not be that bad... u get a second opinion and the impact is significantly reduced.

    but then again, for S$800... is this some kind of a special offer or package? i think it is too low a fee for wedding photography.

    u should continue to complain bitterly but even if they refund 50% of the amount to u, it is never enough. anyway, how often do we get married and have the customary wedding dinner? for those of us lucky enough, it is once in a lifetime.
    i think the $800 for only for the photographer to cover the day's event, is it too cheap? No, I dun think so.. I think still got $500 or $600 ones...

  11. #11

    Default

    should have gotten rueyloon to do it for you ....



    regards
    my flickr account

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Behind the viewfinder...
    Posts
    5,851

    Default

    Sorry to hear about this unhappy experience...
    well, I think you should speak to the wedding studio company again regarding the change in photographer when you had awardrf the contract to them based on the other photographer's displayed work. At least get a certain percentage refunded due to the unsatisfaction of this guy's work.

    Wedding's once in a lifetime and it's not jus any event that can afford to be screw up.

  13. #13

    Default

    "Us snappers either never get seen in the photos we take, or when someone else takes a photo of us, many a times we just look odd in the pic..."

    I can fully appreciate the above. Though I don't qualify as a 'snapper', I do have ideas that could never be conveyed enough to the ones doing the snapping. So those ideas are never realised

    I'm sorry for your unhappy experience.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    212

    Default

    Sorry to hear your bad experience. The so-called pro photographer is definitely a fuke. How can he apologise before he himself ever see the photos? And you definitely can call up the company who provide the photography service to demand a discount if you feel that you have been strongly affected.

    Anyway, how many times do we hear people saying things like "if i were to do it, I can do it better than he did"? It's just so immature. The beauty of photography lies in that it is subjective. Some like it, some like it not. A photo can arouse different thoughts by different people.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    State of Confusion
    Posts
    2,196

    Default

    Hi all,

    I kinda expected that my post would strike a raw nerve with some people. I guess it could be because of camarderie that causes fellow photographers to stand up and "defend" one another. Well, it's a bit difficult to be totally honest and humble at the same time, so I guess I'll forgo the balancing act and just choose the former.

    Just because one has expensive equipment, calls himself a "pro", and knows every bit of technical jargon there is to know, doesn't automatically make him a good photographer. I hope readers can appreciate this fact.

    I wish I could shoot my own wedding. But obviously that's not practical. I have done freelance work before, which included several weddings. In fact, I have one more assignment in 2 weeks time, so I do think I am qualified to as least some extent, so say what I have said. I don't think I need, or should prove "with any credibility" about how good I am, or how substandard the pro was. As long as my wife, family, friends and clients think along the same lines as I do, then that's all the "credibility" I need, especially in light of talking about the coverage of my own personal event. True, the photography is highly subjective in its interpretations, but the consenseus was there.

    So please, I don't make personal judgments on you, then please don't prejudge (or make implications of prejudging) me about my maturity level if you don't even know where I am coming from.

    It's nothing personal, though, OK? I'm just trying to be honest and objective as I practically can. I really don't mean to come across as arrogant (although I might even agree with you if you think I appear so.)
    Last edited by synapseman; 6th October 2003 at 04:51 PM.
    Sony Alpha system user. www.pbase.com/synapseman

  16. #16
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default

    Aiya cool it guys, i think your main concern is that you get substandard service for the $$$ u paid. it is not relevant to compare your standard and his, u may be better, or u may be worse, but those doesn't detract from the fact that you entered into the agreement with the shop to provide u based on the samples u seen of photographer X, but got substandard Y instead. go back and dispute about it rather than this debate on whose skill is better than whose. you would only lose your focus and end up arguing over the issues that do not matter to the case.



    Quote Originally Posted by synapseman
    Hi all,

    I kinda expected that my post would strike a raw nerve with some people. I guess it could be because of camarderie that causes fellow photographers to stand up and "defend" one another. Well, it's a bit difficult to be totally honest and humble at the same time, so I guess I'll forgo the balancing act and just choose the former.

    Just because one has expensive equipment, calls himself a "pro", and knows every bit of technical jargon there is to know, doesn't automatically make him a good photographer. I hope readers can appreciate this fact.

    I wish I could shoot my own wedding. But obviously that's not practical. I have done freelance work before, which included several weddings. In fact, I have one more assignment in 2 weeks time, so I do think I am qualified to as least some extent, so say what I have said. I don't think I need, or should prove "with any credibility" about how good I am, or how substandard the pro was. As long as my wife, family, friends and clients think along the same lines as I do, then that's all the "credibility" I need, especially in light of talking about the coverage of my own personal event. True, the photography is highly subjective in its interpretations, but the consenseus was there.

    So please, I don't make personal judgments on you, then please don't prejudge (or make implications of prejudging) me about my maturity level if you don't even know where I am coming from.

    It's nothing personal, though, OK? I'm just trying to be honest and objective as I practically can. I really don't mean to come across as arrogant (although I might even agree with you if you think I appear so.)

  17. #17
    Member Jer76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    West
    Posts
    1,047

    Default

    Hmm you should get some good friends to help you shoot as backup.. then at the end of it consolidate all the best pics.. your friends might have some photos that the main photographer might miss..

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    beebox
    Posts
    2,078

    Default

    i think u fall into the "most feared" clients for professionals.
    those that think they did a few freelance and know alot more than the pro.
    If u think u can produce better results than those pro doing it for years.i believe u can excel in this line.

  19. #19
    Senior Member Cheesecake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    I live in a haunted house!!!!!
    Posts
    16,385

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by innovas1
    i think the $800 for only for the photographer to cover the day's event, is it too cheap? No, I dun think so.. I think still got $500 or $600 ones...
    well, there are bargains out there or students who are willing to take a huge pay cut in order to build up their portfolios.. some of these students are really good. but of course, if u're choosing a student, haf a look at their portfolio first.

    then of course there are those that does not have much credentials... and offer their service at a lower rate.

    how much does the supposedly 'pro' charges?
    10 rolls for S$1.2k or S$1k?
    they guarantee results. don;t they? afterall, since u paid so much, u expect good results. and for S$800, i will expect some decency in the standard being produced.

    but if i'm paying S$500... well... unless that photographer is top notch and is giving a special rate...

    what u paid for is normally what u get.
    You'll Never Walk Alone! - i have the best job in the world!

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    New York, New York!
    Posts
    330

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by innovas1
    i think the $800 for only for the photographer to cover the day's event, is it too cheap? No, I dun think so.. I think still got $500 or $600 ones...
    wow, on a bargain hunting trip?
    yes, to my knowledge S$500 and below, there are photographers offering such service. but their package, i don't know. u have to call them up to ask...

    there are some very good student photographers who offer their service for S$500 - S$700. they are RAW but they offer u a different perspective to the same wedding dinner photography. choose those with strong portfolio, no harm saving a few hundred $$ by giving these youngsters a shot if their portfolio proved that they are capable of handling it.

    why give them a chance?
    because their eyes and mind are not moulded by the commercialised aspect of this business yet. they are really out to deliver. anyone contesting to this?

    i do know of a few pro who do offer FREE service to really needy couples. those in the circle will know who i'm talking about.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •