Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: close-up filter review question..

  1. #1

    Default close-up filter review question..

    hi...
    any1 uses b4 MASSA +4 close up filter?...
    http://cgi.ebay.com.sg/58mm-4-Close-...3A1|240%3A1318

    or..do ur haf any recommendation yet e price range is around MASSA price??

    thx thx!

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: close-up filter review question..

    Quote Originally Posted by FireZ View Post
    hi...
    any1 uses b4 MASSA +4 close up filter?...
    http://cgi.ebay.com.sg/58mm-4-Close-...3A1|240%3A1318

    or..do ur haf any recommendation yet e price range is around MASSA price??

    thx thx!
    Never heard of this brand before. I only use Hoya.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  3. #3

    Default Re: close-up filter review question..

    coz i think...1 of the thread states tat hoya close up filter +4 cost $20...which is around the same price range of MASSA...so..i was quite wondering..any1 uses it...
    so..is it true tat hoya cost only $20?!
    kindly guide me ya....(coz tat price list seem too b qutie old de....not much update regardin close up filter)..
    cheers!

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: close-up filter review question..

    Quote Originally Posted by FireZ View Post
    coz i think...1 of the thread states tat hoya close up filter +4 cost $20...which is around the same price range of MASSA...so..i was quite wondering..any1 uses it...
    so..is it true tat hoya cost only $20?!
    kindly guide me ya....(coz tat price list seem too b qutie old de....not much update regardin close up filter)..
    cheers!
    Price depends on filter size and whether it's the standard, HMC, SHMC or Pro 1 type. I got 2 pieces of 72mm ones for my 50mm and for this size, Hoya only has the standard one. Cost is $55 each.

    I still remembered last time i got a 52mm standard for $18.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Ang Mo Kio
    Posts
    1,325

    Default Re: close-up filter review question..

    I'd advise you to go Hoya for starters, to see if you want to go further into macro. If you have enough money, you can just jump straight to the Raynox DCR-250. I've seen lots of very sharp photos with that. About $100 or so.

    Massa filters, if I'm not wrong, are not multi-coated. Some people are ok with that though. Multi-coating helps reduce ghosting and flare and sometimes makes it easier to clean.
    incywincyspider climbup the waterspout...

  6. #6

    Default Re: close-up filter review question..

    hi morning...wow...i read a web n it didn't mention abt coating n stuff for close up filter...thankfully i ask here..
    i'm budget...as in...i jus wanna something simple for macro hence tot of buying a +4 close up filter.
    using a 55-250mm IS lens with +4 close up filter...will e result be ok??
    ar ha...n if i buy it, i can share it wif the 18-55mm IS lens too..
    save money...

    anyway..thanks for earlier replies!!!

  7. #7

    Default Re: close-up filter review question..

    Quote Originally Posted by FireZ View Post
    hi morning...wow...i read a web n it didn't mention abt coating n stuff for close up filter...thankfully i ask here..
    i'm budget...as in...i jus wanna something simple for macro hence tot of buying a +4 close up filter.
    using a 55-250mm IS lens with +4 close up filter...will e result be ok??
    ar ha...n if i buy it, i can share it wif the 18-55mm IS lens too..
    save money...

    anyway..thanks for earlier replies!!!
    Cathay is selling the Hoya Clost up +4 filter for $23 + 7% GST.

    Using the +4 filter with 55-250mm lens should be ok if you use at the 250mm end.

    As a guide, I tested the my Tamron 90 macro and 55-250mm IS lens with my new Raynox DCR250 which is a +8 close up lens to shoot a ruler. What I found was as follows:

    1) Tamron 90 Macro - min focusing distance shows approx 1.5cm on the ruler (1X magnification)
    2) Tamron 90 with DCR250 - min focusing distance shows approx 0.9cm on the ruler (1.67X magnification)
    3) 55-250 IS lens @ 250mm with DCR250 - min focusing distance shows approx 0.6cm on the ruler (2.5X magnification)
    4) 55-250 IS lens @ 55mm with DCR250 - min focusing distance shows approx 2.5cm on the ruler (0.6X magnification)

    What the above shows is that the magnification you will get from your close up filter depends on the length of your lens. The longer your lens, the more magnification you will get.

  8. #8

    Default Re: close-up filter review question..

    hm..bro...
    wif ur +8 close-up at the 250mm..it produced a 2.5X magnificatio...so..can i assume tat..if i'm jus using +4 close up...i'll only get like..1.2X magnification??

    anyway..thx for e price list...btw..is the HOYA +4 multi coat?..
    will make my first visit to cathay 2ml if i recover..2day ill..so chui..

    anyway..thanks!!!

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: close-up filter review question..

    Quote Originally Posted by FireZ View Post
    hm..bro...
    wif ur +8 close-up at the 250mm..it produced a 2.5X magnificatio...so..can i assume tat..if i'm jus using +4 close up...i'll only get like..1.2X magnification??

    anyway..thx for e price list...btw..is the HOYA +4 multi coat?..
    will make my first visit to cathay 2ml if i recover..2day ill..so chui..

    anyway..thanks!!!
    I'm not sure abt the 58mm HMC or SHMC +4 price. U've to check with them. If they don't have sell, try other shops.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Ang Mo Kio
    Posts
    1,325

    Default Re: close-up filter review question..

    You can bring a small figurine (as in, really small) to the shops, together with your camera, and test the filter first, if they allow. I use 2 Nikon 6T's on my 75-300 and I love it. Saves me the money (for now) to get a dedicated macro lens. Haha! Not sure if Hoya ones have good multi-coating, but I'm quite sure there's some kind of coating. Look at the Hoya website lor.
    incywincyspider climbup the waterspout...

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: close-up filter review question..

    Quote Originally Posted by karnage View Post
    You can bring a small figurine (as in, really small) to the shops, together with your camera, and test the filter first, if they allow. I use 2 Nikon 6T's on my 75-300 and I love it. Saves me the money (for now) to get a dedicated macro lens. Haha! Not sure if Hoya ones have good multi-coating, but I'm quite sure there's some kind of coating. Look at the Hoya website lor.
    Yeah. Those Lego mini figures should be gd enough.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  12. #12

    Default Re: close-up filter review question..

    Ooo...okok..
    scare go in kanna screw...testing lens still understandabe..but filter...ar ha...didn't c thread discussing abt it b4..
    kk...perhaps i shall try john 3:16...
    thanks for all e responses!!

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: close-up filter review question..

    Quote Originally Posted by FireZ View Post
    Ooo...okok..
    scare go in kanna screw...testing lens still understandabe..but filter...ar ha...didn't c thread discussing abt it b4..
    kk...perhaps i shall try john 3:16...
    thanks for all e responses!!
    CPLs, close ups and other special effects filters usually will test. Those general ones like UV and MC protectors, usually will just buy.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  14. #14

    Default Re: close-up filter review question..

    Quote Originally Posted by FireZ View Post
    hm..bro...
    wif ur +8 close-up at the 250mm..it produced a 2.5X magnificatio...so..can i assume tat..if i'm jus using +4 close up...i'll only get like..1.2X magnification??

    anyway..thx for e price list...btw..is the HOYA +4 multi coat?..
    will make my first visit to cathay 2ml if i recover..2day ill..so chui..

    anyway..thanks!!!
    Magnification wise, I dun think you can consider this way...

    But frankly using the Raynox with my 55-250 lens, I find that the DOF is really thin. It might not be ideal to use a +8 filter with the 55-250 lens @ 250mm.

    Anyway, for macro using zoom lenses, you are actually looking for something that is close to 1:1 magnification. The larger the magnification you get, the thinner the DOF will become and the more difficult it will be for you to take macros especially of insects.

    Juz to take note though that a +4 filter means that your minimum focusing will be 25cm from the front of the lens.
    Last edited by teebs; 6th February 2009 at 10:11 PM.

  15. #15

    Default Re: close-up filter review question..

    okok..then i'll wun b so pai seh to ask the person to let me test le..
    as to teebs: i'll take note of the 25cm..
    thanks all!!!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •