View Poll Results: why do you upgrade your gears?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • better gears improves my photo

19 47.50%
  • i outgrow my gear (whatever that means)

10 25.00%
  • i like playing with new toys

9 22.50%
  • i want to show that i pro

2 5.00%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: why do you upgrade your gears?

Default Re: why do you upgrade your gears?

Quote Originally Posted by Clown View Post
    most of the time is cuz client not happy with old gear.. o_O""
    alamak, forget to include this point in the poll options.
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

Actually, I found that people are more willing to spend on upgrading gears than paying other methods of improving skills such as going for class, sign up for workship, pay a mentor to teach, buy books, buy improvement videos.

i upgrade my gears because no power to climb the hill...

but if you're asking about my photography gear, then the answer is simple. lim peh wu lui!
    hahaha
    www.colouredshots.com
    Kodak film disposable camera

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Potter View Post
    So only when skills improve then can justify upgrading of gears?

If buy new gears and photos still s u c k, better graffer the model number
    if this is a hobby and yr cash flow is healthy enough to sustain it, by all mean just buy whatever u fancy.

if just for purely making fun of people who had the mean and ability to upgrade even though their skill cmi...i feel it akin like having the sourgrape/inferiority complex mentality..
    Last edited by eow; 5th February 2009 at 01:19 PM.
    头可断,血可流,倩女不可不追求 carpe diem,when in doubt, hoot first,apologise later:p GALLERY

How often we have heard of people complaining CEO got so much pay. If they got pay cut, it can save many jobs.

Similarly, we rather buy expensive D3x instead of using the money to help the poor and needy. Even if we give a mere few thousands (less than half D3x), it makes big different for the needy.

i have friends who dont even know how to activate 2nd curtain syn, use correct mode of focusing for different situation, says their camera has lousy af (but test from a reputable photo-magazine did a detail comparison with 2 higher end model, result is it outperform the higher end model), cant hand hold without camera shake for 1 lens but able to do that for another although both are prime lens of same focal length and shooting at same shutter speed and aperture and iso, etc...

they want to upgrade. to them, the problem lies with their gears. as a friend, it is my duty to explain to them upgrading is not the way to go. but ultimately, i leave the decision to them, its their money.
    Last edited by denniskee; 5th February 2009 at 01:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by denniskee View Post
    i constantly see people upgrading their gears. would like to know why (i just kpo).
    I tot u to trying to convince urself to upgrade!

Quote Originally Posted by melvin View Post
    I tot u to trying to convince urself to upgrade!
    upgrade? no lar, after upgrading to 40d (d60 siao siao liao), i dont see any difference in my photo. so no point.

who say I upgrade

I stop doing that for years.... till my D70 dies...I made a promise to myself ...no more new bodies. My days of F3 to F4s to F5 are in the pass. It was fun while it lasted but my dear D70 is still serving me well though the preview button has stop working recently heh. BUt hey...it still captures nice photos...good or badly capture or compose by the human in me....if only my talent was good enough to catch more wonderful shots.

So that I can't blame the gears but my self

Can't buy the same items if family member is also interested to do photography ? Take opportunity to upgrade lah... can't do that this year. Definitely no bonus, lucky to have a job.

Quote Originally Posted by sammy888 View Post
    It was fun while it lasted but my dear D70 is still serving me well though the preview button has stop working recently heh. BUt hey...it still captures nice photos...good or badly capture or compose by the human in me....if only my talent was good enough to catch more wonderful shots.
    so now u are in between, digital slr, but u can see the results immediately, which is like back in the film days. can share with us how does it feels?

i may want to upgrade because of some limitations on my D40 that may end up me spending more on accessories.
    carbonmade
    mαke.believe

Quote Originally Posted by denniskee View Post
    so now u are in between, digital slr, but u can see the results immediately, which is like back in the film days. can share with us how does it feels?
    Which is like back in the old days???? Old days SLRs where got instant result or preview? heheh unless you are rich enough to buy a special Polaroid back that fits over the back of your SLRs. It is not cheap I recall and you still can't see a lot as the preview test shot since the preview is the size of a 35mm negative. So to examine for sharpness and exposure details in various area of the photo are really limited.

But the same can be said of my D70 too compare say to the D300's preview LCD screen. You have a larger screen on the D300 compared to my D70 which is a tiny one so if I got the shot a little off focus, I think you can catch it more on the D300 then mine. But with anything you buy at varying period of time, there will always be the trade off, the advantages of buying the newest and latest. New gears should always brings you more advantages if not how this camera companies make $$$$? heheh But ....do you really need it and also even if you have the budget to do so, should you, that is a question we all have to ask ourselves.

Without a preview screen in the SLR days, you have to really know your stuff for sure. Making mistaken back then will mean huge delay and cost. If you don't bracket your shot in tricky light situation or you depend too much on your camera's exposure reading or auto setting..etc, you will not know till you send it in for film processing. And then discover your errors. heh Reshooting is something you find yourself doing quite a lot if don't improve your fundamentals skills and know your camera gear well. HOw you going to learn if you keep changing your gear at the drop of a hat?

So, to some extend maybe it is good for newbies to learn how to use a SLR before they embark on a DSLR.

The time delay in finding out whether you captured a photo the way you want it (not necessary correctly exposed mind you) or how much negatives you will have to buy and wast to bracket the photo shoot to avoid a re-shoot (wedding can reshoot? heheh) will force you to be more observant and competent with your own equipment inside and out. Old generation gear requires that you use your keen eyes maybe abit more to look over a scene before you snap the shot. I am not saying you can't do that with today's DSLRs but it does help make your shots that much better. Maybe help you spend less time on a scene in which you are firing rapid volleys of shots in the hope that at least one or two will be "money-shot" out of say 10 - 20 frames you fired off.

I remember in the SLR days, some of the good photographers can fire off just one or two frames and that is all they shoot of one scene they want to capture. They were confident that the moment they click that shutter, everything was how they wanted it the photo to be. There was no need to fire off many frames hopping one of them will be great. I suspect they have miscue too but I think they also do this to force themselves to make very frame they fire count.

I use to be able to take a mechanical SLR, my former Nikon FM2 and even if the battery is dead thus cutting away the exposure meter from giving me any exposure reading, I could still manually set the shutter speed to fixed aperture I usually set to like F2.8, F8 or F16 and I could still get a good shot off by just looking at a scene. But of course with negative film you have a wider exposure latitude tolerance compared to digital. So it helps. But shooting slides, that tolerant is quite narrow almost like digital. Slides you would tend to shoot it a little under exposure (ASA 100 for example, I would set it to ASA 125) then over as that is just the way slides work better. You try to capture more colour saturation and details and later if you want a brighter scene, you can do that post-production or dup a slide.

But I maintain that old school skills will help a lot of photographers who wants to learn more then just about shooting with a camera. Or at the very least helps to sharpen your photographic thought process in your head. It gives you a fuller perspective of the technology that was before and has and still evolving today. Learning how we deal with tricky shooting situation before technology made it technically easier. We have old school manual work flow to shooting which is "dumb down" in some ways with modern DLSR and photography. I still see relevant to learning them to make you better.

Letting all the computers tell you how to shoot it just steals the human soul out of a photo sometimes. It MIGHT be technically perfect in terms of exposure by tackling all the problem to produce a good well lit photo for example. But sometime, creativity might want you to capture the shoot in more under exposed light, more light to burn up the exposure or pick a slower then normal shutter speed to give your scene's storyline abit more meaning. You can still do that with the modern cameras but set it to AUTO THIS AND THAT, all that creativity gets throw out the window if you don't take control of it yourself.

If you are really crazy about photography you will take the trouble to go seek out and learn the fundamentals but for the casual or even serious Sunday shooter, this will be lost to them. They are not force to learn it and why should they, the camera make every decision for them ...faster and easier....so much so, you would think there is nothing to learn beyond that.

Upgrading your gear is a topic that will always be around but how much of that has to really to do with Photography and YOU? That is something we have asked and challenge ourselves. I am still trying to figure that out heheh... but hey even after more then 20 yrs at it, I am not rushing or setting any time frame. Thus upgrade to the newest and latest DSLR to replace my D70? That's just for me to figure that out. This hobby is about me, I pick my pace. Thus I only will upgrade when I am myself good and ready to do so .....for whatever the reason(s) may be.
    Last edited by sammy888; 9th February 2009 at 12:01 AM.

All of the above.
    Sony Alpha system user. www.pbase.com/synapseman

I still cant justify myself for a upgrade. Simply the newer models cant solve my curent problem. But thinking back I was kind of silly because I had spent the budgeted $$$ and now no $$$ and no new cam. Haiz.

I need a pro body with built-in IS.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DeSwitch View Post
    I still cant justify myself for a upgrade. Simply the newer models cant solve my curent problem. But thinking back I was kind of silly because I had spent the budgeted $$$ and now no $$$ and no new cam. Haiz.

I need a pro body with built-in IS.
    don't you already have a pro level camera?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sammy888 View Post
    who say I upgrade

I stop doing that for years.... till my D70 dies...I made a promise to myself ...no more new bodies. My days of F3 to F4s to F5 are in the pass. It was fun while it lasted but my dear D70 is still serving me well though the preview button has stop working recently heh. BUt hey...it still captures nice photos...good or badly capture or compose by the human in me....if only my talent was good enough to catch more wonderful shots.
    i give you good reason to upgrade

the viewfinder will spoil your eye sight in the near future
    you are not young anymore you know

BBB .... cos the old one not in trendy anymore. Camera has become an accessory now just like mobile phone. Newer model keep coming out. So in order not to show ppl that you are outdated. ITs best to buy and upgrade so that can be with the pack.

Most of younger generation will tend to show off. "see see, my one is the latest version with XXXMPS and XXXX processor. What about yours? OMG u still using dino cam ... hahah" this is the trend now. Gear chaser now.

But good also, they buy .. not good, they sell. We pick at discount price.... so its help to make the market move .. haha

Upgrade to take old photos with new perspectives.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast