View Poll Results: why do you upgrade your gears?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • better gears improves my photo

    19 47.50%
  • i outgrow my gear (whatever that means)

    10 25.00%
  • i like playing with new toys

    9 22.50%
  • i want to show that i pro

    2 5.00%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 44

Thread: why do you upgrade your gears?

  1. #1
    Senior Member denniskee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    bukit batok
    Posts
    5,468

    Default why do you upgrade your gears?

    i constantly see people upgrading their gears. would like to know why (i just kpo).
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

  2. #2

    Default Re: why do you upgrade your gears?

    boost the economy by spending

  3. #3

    Default Re: why do you upgrade your gears?

    boost the ego by having more powerful camera body and longer lens.

  4. #4
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: why do you upgrade your gears?

    Quote Originally Posted by denniskee View Post
    i constantly see people upgrading their gears. would like to know why (i just kpo).
    it is easier, faster and cheaper to upgrade gears than upgrade skills.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  5. #5
    Senior Member denniskee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    bukit batok
    Posts
    5,468

    Default Re: why do you upgrade your gears?

    why like that? i havent finish writing the poll option u all can start posting reply liao?
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

  6. #6

    Default Re: why do you upgrade your gears?

    Quote Originally Posted by denniskee View Post
    why like that? i havent finish writing the poll option u all can start posting reply liao?
    that's why upgrade gears. Faster gears can shoot faster, won't miss the XMM

  7. #7

    Default Re: why do you upgrade your gears?

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Potter View Post
    boost the ego by having more powerful camera body and longer lens.
    and better bokeh also lololol jk

    but on a serious note, i upgrade for event photography needs. it's easy for me cos i prefer to shoot people.

    people >> nature >> still life >> macrography
    constantly learning & trying.

  8. #8
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: why do you upgrade your gears?

    Quote Originally Posted by denniskee View Post
    why like that? i havent finish writing the poll option u all can start posting reply liao?
    signs of aging ......
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  9. #9

    Default Re: why do you upgrade your gears?

    lol got people opt for last option ah!?
    constantly learning & trying.

  10. #10
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: why do you upgrade your gears?

    Quote Originally Posted by linkandzelda View Post
    lol got people opt for last option ah!?
    got also don't want to tell you/people...
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  11. #11
    Moderator Clown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,779

    Default Re: why do you upgrade your gears?

    most of the time is cuz client not happy with old gear.. o_O""
    sigh.

  12. #12

    Default Re: why do you upgrade your gears?

    unlike film bodies,
    digital body went obsolete so fast with a few yr
    e.g canon D30 and D60 nikon D2h,D2x
    so I think it up to individual as long as they kept their bank acc healthy and had a job to sustain this hobby
    and it within their means/budget to upgrade why not?
    likewise some people can't shoot better pics with better camera also doesn't mean those people with older cameras can shoot better.
    so a person who spend to upgrade doesn't necessary meant it a bad thing...
    selling yr old gear now and buying it back later when u missed it is a lot better than keeping it and seeing it value dropped to the point that u unwilling to sell and nobody want it
    头可断,血可流,倩女不可不追求 carpe diem,when in doubt, hoot first,apologise later:p GALLERY

  13. #13

    Default Re: why do you upgrade your gears?

    another reason is change of subject. Last time shoot XMM, use 85mm. Change to shoot birds, still expect to use 85mm meh => change to 850mm better. After bought 850mm, no money, switch to shoot weddings, buy wide angle lens. Get bored, change to macro, buy lens again.

    Lastly, got babies, stop photography and change to videography.

  14. #14
    Senior Member denniskee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    bukit batok
    Posts
    5,468

    Default Re: why do you upgrade your gears?

    Quote Originally Posted by eow View Post
    unlike film bodies,
    digital body went obsolete so fast with a few yr
    e.g canon D30 and D60 nikon D2h,D2x
    so I think it up to individual as long as they kept their bank acc healthy and had a job to sustain this hobby
    and it within their means/budget to upgrade why not?
    likewise some people can't shoot better pics with better camera also doesn't mean those people with older cameras can shoot better.
    so a person who spend to upgrade doesn't necessary meant it a bad thing...
    selling yr old gear now and buying it back later when u missed it is a lot better than keeping it and seeing it value dropped to the point that u unwilling to sell and nobody want it
    let me cllarify this, i am not bashing people who wants to upgrade, its their money, nothing to do with me.

    may i know what is obsolete? is it the moment a newer camera comes into market, it suddenly becomes a bad camera, obsolete, cant produce good photos anymore.....?

    i dont understand ur statement herer
    "likewise some people can't shoot better pics with better camera also doesn't mean those people with older cameras can shoot better."

    if even after upgrading they cant take better photos, of cause staying with their current gears they either maintain the std or in long run, or, with more practice, expt, reading, looking etc, they can ups their level, till the stage they feel they outgrow their gears.
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

  15. #15

    Default Re: why do you upgrade your gears?

    Quote Originally Posted by denniskee View Post
    let me cllarify this, i am not bashing people who wants to upgrade, its their money, nothing to do with me.

    may i know what is obsolete? is it the moment a newer camera comes into market, it suddenly becomes a bad camera, obsolete, cant produce good photos anymore.....?

    i dont understand ur statement herer
    "likewise some people can't shoot better pics with better camera also doesn't mean those people with older cameras can shoot better."

    if even after upgrading they cant take better photos, of cause staying with their current gears they either maintain the std or in long run, or, with more practice, expt, reading, looking etc, they can ups their level, till the stage they feel they outgrow their gears.
    That why i said SOME...not all.
    I had meet people who scoff at the upgraders who change gears regularly but nevertheless their work also cmi,likewise also had seen fantastic works of those using only simple gear.
    头可断,血可流,倩女不可不追求 carpe diem,when in doubt, hoot first,apologise later:p GALLERY

  16. #16

    Default Re: why do you upgrade your gears?

    Quote Originally Posted by denniskee View Post
    let me cllarify this, i am not bashing people who wants to upgrade, its their money, nothing to do with me.

    may i know what is obsolete? is it the moment a newer camera comes into market, it suddenly becomes a bad camera, obsolete, cant produce good photos anymore.....?

    i dont understand ur statement herer
    "likewise some people can't shoot better pics with better camera also doesn't mean those people with older cameras can shoot better."

    if even after upgrading they cant take better photos, of cause staying with their current gears they either maintain the std or in long run, or, with more practice, expt, reading, looking etc, they can ups their level, till the stage they feel they outgrow their gears.
    Obsolete = my new state-of-the-art computer can no longer process a 6 megapixel photos. It only accept fullframe 21 megapixel photos in order not to underutilized it.

  17. #17

    Default Re: why do you upgrade your gears?

    Quote Originally Posted by eow View Post
    That why i said SOME...not all.
    I had meet people who scoff at the upgraders who change gears regularly but nevertheless their work also cmi,likewise also had seen fantastic works of those using only simple gear.
    So only when skills improve then can justify upgrading of gears?

    If buy new gears and photos still s u c k, better graffer the model number

  18. #18
    Senior Member denniskee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    bukit batok
    Posts
    5,468

    Default Re: why do you upgrade your gears?

    Quote Originally Posted by eow View Post
    That why i said SOME...not all.
    I had meet people who scoff at the upgraders who change gears regularly but nevertheless their work also cmi,likewise also had seen fantastic works of those using only simple gear.
    maybe they are people like me, who feels upgrading camera still our photos cmi

    we meant well lar, just pointing out facts of live and hope they save $$, especially now economy so bad. and we dont force them not to upgrade lay.
    Last edited by denniskee; 5th February 2009 at 01:09 PM.
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

  19. #19
    Senior Member denniskee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    bukit batok
    Posts
    5,468

    Default Re: why do you upgrade your gears?

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Potter View Post
    So only when skills improve then can justify upgrading of gears?

    If buy new gears and photos still s u c k, better graffer the model number
    no lar, it is hobby, do whatever makes you happy lar. thats what hobby should be mah. why get stressed out over a hobby?
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

  20. #20

    Default Re: why do you upgrade your gears?

    Quote Originally Posted by denniskee View Post
    maybe they are people like me, who feels upgrading camera still our photos cmi
    In that case, you should analyse your upgrade. Maybe upgrade not enough. Should buy until your skills are good.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •