Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: It's insulting to photographers here on CS

Default It's insulting to photographers here on CS

Cannot help but notice, the pictures posted by many photoshoot organizers are meaningfully worst then the worst posted on the portrait forum.

A handful of the organizers do post decent to great images to advertise their shoots, but as for the majority, the pictures are absolutely unacceptable.

The organizers what our money, and yet, they do not even bother to do some homework to entice us. There are just way too many grainy, distorted, contorted, totally CMI pictures used to advertise these photoshoot.

I found this absolutely insulting. What are they thinking, that all photographers here in CS is blind?? Or, as long as there are some Ta and A, photographers will blindly sign up?? Or what?
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

Default Re: It's insulting to photographers here on CS

Quote Originally Posted by Deadpoet View Post
    Cannot help but notice, the pictures posted by many photoshoot organizers are meaningfully worst then the worst posted on the portrait forum.

A handful of the organizers do post decent to great images to advertise their shoots, but as for the majority, the pictures are absolutely unacceptable.

The organizers what our money, and yet, they do not even bother to do some homework to entice us. There are just way too many grainy, distorted, contorted, totally CMI pictures used to advertise these photoshoot.

I found this absolutely insulting. What are they thinking, that all photographers here in CS is blind?? Or, as long as there are some Ta and A, photographers will blindly sign up?? Or what?
    Unbeknown to us as we don't see the respond to them but I thing that to be so. There has to be a demand for it......unfortunately.

In business, there's such a thing as "good enough"... as I've been repeatedly told by my past and current bosses. And as you say, they are doing it for business reasons, not for art. Sure, better pictures would get more customers, but as long as they can see what the model looks like, it's good enough for their purposes. It's just business sense, not an insult. It's not like great pics on the ad would guarantee great pics by the photographer and vice versa.

Quote Originally Posted by AlteredVision View Post
    In business, there's such a thing as "good enough"... as I've been repeatedly told by my past and current bosses. And as you say, they are doing it for business reasons, not for art. Sure, better pictures would get more customers, but as long as they can see what the model looks like, it's good enough for their purposes. It's just business sense, not an insult. It's not like great pics on the ad would guarantee great pics by the photographer and vice versa.
    The insult is the people who will sign up for these shoots.

The insult is that there are people who are masquerading as photographers here.

The insult is they, the organizers, are getting away with such BS.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

There are just way too many grainy, distorted, contorted, totally CMI pictures used to advertise these photoshoot.
    Unfortunately almost 80% of these "model" do not have anything better than these "grainy, distorted, contorted, totally CMI pictures" ... Maybe this is the reason they are willing to do these budget shoot ... hoping to build a portfolio by getting photos from the people who attend.

Actually besides these CMI photos ... shoot organisers should try to put up more recent and updated photos of the models in question ... I have been to a few surprises ...
    Touch the Moments ... Hold the colours of Joy

I don't think it's an insult till they actually say that verbally or otherwise... what they post here is entirely to promote their own shoot, not to promote photographers nor to set any form of standard as to what's to be seen in the shoot... If everyone was to agree with your point, won't the organizers have to post 'the best photo' of any particular model? (and in theory, have the 'best' photo among everyone who'll be in the shoot)... but then again, who's to judge what's good or not? The models? The organizer? I think definitely not the photographers first..

So even if the organizer manage to post a good photo, and a couple of weeks down the road, everyone's standard increased or the general style has changed... won't the whole 'photo thing' be back to square one?
    Last edited by Lolrence; 5th February 2009 at 12:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Long Thai Bean View Post
    Unfortunately almost 80% of these "model" do not have anything better than these "grainy, distorted, contorted, totally CMI pictures" ... Maybe this is the reason they are willing to do these budget shoot ... hoping to build a portfolio by getting photos from the people who attend.

Actually besides these CMI photos ... shoot organisers should try to put up more recent and updated photos of the models in question ... I have been to a few surprises ...
    Quote Originally Posted by lypklypk View Post
    I don't think it's an insult till they actually say that verbally or otherwise... what they post here is entirely to promote their own shoot, not to promote photographers nor to set any form of standard as to what's to be seen in the shoot... If everyone was to agree with your point, won't the organizers have to post 'the best photo' of any particular model? (and in theory, have the 'best' photo among everyone who'll be in the shoot)... but then again, who's to judge what's good or not? The models? The organizer? I think definitely not the photographers first..

So even if the organizer manage to post a good photo, and a couple of weeks down the road, everyone's standard increased or the general style has changed... won't the whole 'photo thing' be back to square one?

While there may be surprises, then thing is as a photographer, I will want to see how the model looks. I am not asking for a drop dead gorgeous pic, a decent one where I can see her features will suffice. While standards need not be so high, some form of standards need to be there. Blog pics, if decently taken responses may be better. But now, a lot of pics that are posted for shoots are barely passable. Why then do some shoots get a faster response rate? I think we know the answer to that.

Can they do something else besides get a girl to pose sexy poses at anywhere and everywhere?

Quote Originally Posted by redstone View Post
    Can they do something else besides get a girl to pose sexy poses at anywhere and everywhere?

Tough. Most of the organisers here unfortunately are just that, they organise. They are the middleman. From what I see they credit the photographers whose picture they have used. Unlike Esther, she has taken pictures of her own models before, so she know what works and what does not. Likewise the same goes for Ivan. The problem with a lot of the pictures posted for the photoshoot comes from blogs and not even photoblogs for that matter. A large number of these models do not even have their own port to begin with and they are asking for a paid shoot. If they had taken the time to create their own decent port, then we might see 1) an increase in the quality of models and following 2) an upping of the standard in PP. Else we are back to square one.

It is a vicious cycle, and not one or two good organisers can stem it. One half-baked organiser can exit here but two more can appear in the making within a short time.
    Last edited by scandal599; 5th February 2009 at 12:05 PM.

What's wrong with lousy pic as long as the girl is chio can liao.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Potter View Post
    What's wrong with lousy pic as long as the girl is chio can liao.
    that can tell us you label yourself as a snapper or a photographer.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    that can tell us you label yourself as a snapper or a photographer.
    shooting many XMM, snapper will one day become photographer

... like your spirit, with practices improvement & proficience do become possibilities. But when the day cometh, would you then feel offended by all this?
    651D90 Mk II cameller™ ...... "Ai Camel Mai ?"

Like how you become Harry Potter?

What are they thinking, that all photographers here in CS is blind?? Or, as long as there are some Ta and A, photographers will blindly sign up?? Or what?
    With due respect we are not blind.

But we just have too many 100GB CF cards to fill leh.

Blog Entries

unfortunately it is their business decision
    we as consumers can only vote with our wallets

while true...many so-called consumers r disconcerned with their wallets...only taking note of sexy poses...bikinis and such...
    Nikon D300s, 50mm, 18-105mm, Sigma 30mm F1.4, Sigma 50-150mm F2.8, Samyang 8mm F3.5

well perhaps it's a discreet (or maybe not) sign that people sign up thses shoots are attracted by other aspects of the activity?
    it's a supply and demand thing. in a brutally honest opinion, most organisers are mainly business people who are here to meet the demands of this market.
    so if unenticing images seem to be working, the law of diminishing returns explains just why more effort is not needed to justify a marginal increase of profits. :3
    sigh.

yes, of course you can.
    but it take many snappers to become a photographer.

and same to XMM too....

it takes many XMM to make one model.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    yes, of course you can.
    but it take many snappers to become a photographer.

and same to XMM too....

it takes many XMM to make one model.
    if cannot become photographer, I dun mind marrying a chio bu.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast