Page 36 of 52 FirstFirst ... 11263134353637384146 ... LastLast

Thread: CS bicycles and cyclist thread

Default Re: CS bicycles and cyclist thread

Quote Originally Posted by denniskee View Post
    ubin abit tough for newbie like me lay.

ec sounds ggod but i feel it may be abit short, can season cyclist advance if there is a safe way (ie less cycling on the road) from ec to changi village? like that both ends also got good food er... motivation i mean
    There is a bike and foot path from ecp all the way to changi beach

Was there today. Ride to Changi Beach is about 10km from outward bound. From carpark F2 to outward bound is about 7km.

Hope that helps

It's been 3 years since i last brought my GT out for a ride.
    Just went for a night riding trip.
    Telok Blangah -> Shenton Way -> Kallang -> East Coast -> Kallang -> Shenton Way -> Telok Blangah.
    Enjoying the night cool breeze while covering the urban/office/leisure areas, Shiok!

Sale:

Nikon D750; FM2; FG; 55mm Micro Nikkor; 28-300 VR; 70-200 VR; Nikon V1 + 10-30mm

Their website states "up to 80% on selected items", If the Colnago Carbon is one of the items, then I queue overnight !

Wait long long lor....

So how? Is the ride and shoot on?

Quote Originally Posted by justshot View Post
    Wait long long lor....

So how? Is the ride and shoot on?
    nobody want to org lay.

btw, anybody watch Thursdays celebrity doing volunteer work oversea on channel u iirc? the radio dj dennis joined the 18days cycle round Taiwan to ask for donation for an children's' home. kids, volunteers & care takers participated, youngest i think 7yrs old, oldest 66yrs old. poor thing, he still suffer phobia from his serious fall 3yrs ago at Pulau Ubin iirc.

he was both physically & physiologically unprepared, resulting in being last rider for the first few days, 1st day suffered leg cramp. i think one of the day he was advised strongly to skip afternoon route after the morning session. his trip lasted 6days (due to filming i think, but dont think he can last the whole trip).

i think though his intension was good, but he created more problem than help.
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

Cyclist and the Audi:

Aug 18, 2010

Cyclists can't have it both ways

I AM the driver of the Audi car Mr Damian Evans mentioned in his letter yesterday ('Cyclist says sorry to make a point') and this is why I honked at him.
    I saw a cyclist riding in the middle of the left lane. He was obstructing traffic and endangering himself amid passing vehicles.
    When I overtook him, I sounded the horn to remind him to stay closer to the curb near the double yellow lines.
    His raised hand and subsequent near collision with a lorry for beating the red light shocked me.
    It is unfortunate that he mistook my honking as aggression when it was an act of concern.
    I have seen many cyclists, mostly adults and older cyclists, neglecting basic safety. They sometimes cycle on the right lane of roads.
    Are there traffic rules for cyclists? Shouldn't they be cycling on the left lane near the double yellow lines?
    When turning right, shouldn't they keep to the left lane and turn right at traffic junctions instead of filtering in like a motorcyclist?
    The problem with some cyclists is that they want to be protected like pedestrians but ride like motorcyclists.
    When I cycle, I am extremely careful knowing that I am flesh and blood occupying a space that is dominated by metal.
    To better educate cyclists on safety and traffic rules, we should have safety booklets available in all bicycle shops.
    I applaud conscientious cyclists who observe traffic rules, thereby making road sharing a happy experience.
    Chris Gan
    Nikon D750; FM2; FG; 55mm Micro Nikkor; 28-300 VR; 70-200 VR; Nikon V1 + 10-30mm

Quote Originally Posted by petetherock View Post
    Cyclist and the Audi:
    I can't agree more with this Chris Gan. There many A-hole bicycle riders about these days. And I would not even call them cyclist as they are way below that level.

Quote Originally Posted by sammy888 View Post
    I can't agree more with this Chris Gan. There many A-hole bicycle riders about these days. And I would not even call them cyclist as they are way below that level.

I forgot the original article: (he even wrote it to 2 newspapers!)
    http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/ED...a-rude-cyclist
    Reader apologises for being a rude cyclist

'Bad behaviour breeds bad behaviour'

Letter from Damian Evans
    05:55 AM Aug 23, 2010

I WISH to apologise for my reckless behaviour on the road last week. I have just returned to Singapore after a five-month break and have started to cycle to work again. Initially, I remained calm and ignored the bullying tactics of some other road users and the incessant honking for no apparent reason.

But last week, as I cycled along Havelock Road, I lost my temper when a driver sounded his horn at me. I could not understand what I was doing wrong but perhaps in his eyes my position on the road (1m from the curb) was unacceptable. Anyway, I want to apologise to the driver and the other road users because, irritated after several days witnessing similar incidents, I responded by shaking my fist.

I am sorry that not only did I let myself down but I also fuelled the fire that cyclists are perceived as a menace in Singapore.

For this, I am truly sorry.

My point is that bad behaviour breeds bad behaviour. There needs to be more understanding between cyclists and motorists to avoid such incidents. It was an unpleasant way for me to start the day and I'm sure the driver feels the same way.

Having spent months on the road in less-developed Asian countries, I must say that the behaviour of car drivers in Singapore is woeful in comparison - ungracious and aggressive. As space on the roads declines, common courtesy and more civil behaviour among road users needs to improve to make Singapore a better place.

Next time, instead of shaking my fist I will take a deep breath and remember we are all human beings and respond in a courteous and respectful manner. I hope other cyclists and motorists will do the same to make commuting a happy experience for all.

Quote Originally Posted by .Hack View Post
    Basically there are no safe place in Singapore for cyclists to cycle.
    Cycle on pavement, they say we are causing danger to pedestrains, kena summons.
    Cycle on road, some pathetic drivers whose ego is as big as their balls doesn't give way, some causing accidental deaths.
    Of cause, there are bad cyclists too who think they own the road, waving in and out of heavy traffic.
    Guess the only place to cycle now is in the parks.
    But wait, some people think they own the cycling tracks too, just take a look at East Coast Park on a weekend.
    This is why i wear my jersey, tights and take my expensive bike, hook it on a trainer and pedal..

Quote Originally Posted by kelstorm75 View Post
    This is why i wear my jersey, tights and take my expensive bike, hook it on a trainer and pedal..
    why is ur jersey and tights not expensive? LOLz

it started with this
    http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/...ry_567171.html
    which led to audi driver to say
    http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/...ry_567664.html
    and a sideline commentator
    http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/...ry_567501.html

I disagree with Chris Gan that roads are dominated by metal.
    I think it's dominated by idiocy and selfish ppl in a rush for no apparent reason. (everyone from pedestrians to cyclists to mcylist to drivers(insert ur fav grp) )

IF every road user starts to treat another as a fellow person then I think we will enjoy the roads alot more. all the anger helps no one.
    there's studies that show normal ppl like u and me once they get behind a wheel,(maybe even handlebars when we are not training at home) we become aggressive. it is proposed that lack of visual cues to a human face makes us act differently.

Quote Originally Posted by slaam View Post
    why is ur jersey and tights not expensive? LOLz

it started with this
    http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/...ry_567171.html
    which led to audi driver to say
    http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/...ry_567664.html
    and a sideline commentator
    http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/...ry_567501.html

I disagree with Chris Gan that roads are dominated by metal.
    I think it's dominated by idiocy and selfish ppl in a rush for no apparent reason. (everyone from pedestrians to cyclists to mcylist to drivers(insert ur fav grp) )

IF every road user starts to treat another as a fellow person then I think we will enjoy the roads alot more. all the anger helps no one.
    there's studies that show normal ppl like u and me once they get behind a wheel,(maybe even handlebars when we are not training at home) we become aggressive. it is proposed that lack of visual cues to a human face makes us act differently.
    True.. i been involved in a hit-n-run twice... first one totalled my Roadie when i was a teenager.. if not for my helmet then (the only one in my entire grp to wear a helmet), i wun be here typing this.. 2nd hit-n-run was along Lornie Road towards Adam Rd. The trailer went past me and then miss judge the distance and the tail end of the trailer clipped my handle bar n send me flying onto the pavement.. i was slowing down to give way and moved into the double yellow line...

I had cycled to Melaka and back and i noticed that the Msian drivers, hv more patience than S'poreans Drivers...

since then, i hardly cycled on the road.. usually drive to the usual off-road places and start from there.. and the trainer is for keeping fit and during rainy weather.. kekeke..

oso, i cant afford another new jersey n tights if i fall again.. all my money spend on camera gear.. wahahhaha

Quote Originally Posted by xxdoggyxx View Post
    Is it true that if we are cycling a road-bike, on the road, it is an offend if we do not wear helmet?

Cause that time i went to get back my fixed bike, a road-bike, i didn't care to bring my helmet along as it was only a few blocks of HDB down. The uncle saw me and went to fetch my bike. I paid, obviously, and was about to cycle off. Then the uncle told me that if i don't have a helmet, don't cycle on the road even if very near to my house. he adviced me to carry home as cycling on perdestrain road is bumpy and may spoil the spook again... -.-"

Cheers. & Ofcourse i didn't carry it home.
    actually, just cycling on any bike on the road without a helmet is an offence man.
    chompchomp

Quote Originally Posted by dirtytripod View Post
    actually, just cycling on any bike on the road without a helmet is an offence man.
    1st time I heard of this? Any official source?

Not sure whether these rules are complete....

http://www.pedal.sg/pedal/Singapore_Laws.html

Even if it isn't a stipulated rule, personally cycling on the road itself a helmet is a minimum safety precaution...

Quote Originally Posted by KiichiroToyoda View Post
    why do u need law for that, its ur own personal safety. unlike using handphone while driving, which can lead to serious / deadly accident involving others.
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

Quote Originally Posted by denniskee View Post
    why do u need law for that, its ur own personal safety. unlike using handphone while driving, which can lead to serious / deadly accident involving others.
    I questioning the validity of this "offences" not contesting the safety.

Quote Originally Posted by mookie View Post
    Not sure whether these rules are complete....

http://www.pedal.sg/pedal/Singapore_Laws.html

Even if it isn't a stipulated rule, personally cycling on the road itself a helmet is a minimum safety precaution...
    Thanks for the link ! I have issue abiding rule 8, load not exceeding 18 kg, my weight is so many times more ! I can't understand why some cyclists put red light in the front and blue or green light for the rear, must be having dementia problem or can't tell what's front and back or left and right
    I get pretty upset as I will try to catchup with the guy in front only realising he's cycling towards me

Quote Originally Posted by KiichiroToyoda View Post
    I never heard of such a ruling before about helmet being compulsory and an offense. Not when I was in the police force and not in recent years in any traffic regulation I could find.

A lot of those I ride with, all these many decades, we wear helmet as common sense against unforeseen accidents on and off road. I have wreck two helmets from getting bang up with a vehicle and another was a sharp branch offshoot with the ends snapped off and hidden among other branches....it ventilated the right side of my helmet. If I did not wear a helmet that day, it would have open my scalp or more.

I wish there really are laws and even in cases there are... Police could not care less about it these days. I remember in my days, I see cyclist "tom-pan" another person, we will stop them and demand they let their friend off and then get the guy to cycle off before letting his friend go. We even stop them from cycling on the pavement where pedestrian walk!. But with just a $20 fine for most bicycle offenses, how many police would bother much about writing anyone up.

Problem is all these years of ignore and just closing one eye.. people have "evolve' to think they have the right to cycle all over the place ..walkway and footpath and shop's four foot way.

For once I wish we have stiffer penalties against them. Personally without wanting to sound too extreme, they have spoilt cyclist impression and reputation for us all who try to keep to being mindful cyclists. Pandora's box has been opened. All I can do now is kau-beh-kau-boo these people where ever I meet them.

I wonder when we could every come to a point where govt, people and just plain courtesy will evolve to what I see in europe where I see people walking, driving or cycling can share space mindfully with each other. They still have the odd black sheep but here we have the odd white sheep among the blacks! heheheh...