Page 15 of 52 FirstFirst ... 5101314151617202540 ... LastLast

Thread: CS bicycles and cyclist thread

Default Re: CS bicycles and cyclist thread

Quote Originally Posted by m3lv1nh0 View Post
    I got a Garyfisher MTB. Thinking of change to road tires. Is it easy to change by ourself?
    Also my groin hurts on every pedal. Is it because I didn't wear bike tights or because of the seat or because I haven't get used to it yet?

How long have you started riding again?
    How long do you ride per trip?
    With the pedals at 6 oclock position, is your knee bent or you tiptoe to touch the pedal or just nice?
    What kind of seat (photo?)

Quote Originally Posted by justshot View Post
    Is there a bag that can be fixed on the bike for our cameras?
    I carry my camera in a pannier bag. Years back I decided that riding with a back-pack on was just too uncomfortable so I fitted a 'luggage rack' to the rear of my bike and got a pair of 'pannier' bags.
    They carry every thing from my emergency tool kit/spares, a towel (for beach outings), a change of clothes (for riding to work) to my camera.

There is a risk in the pannier that if you fall over, you could land on the side carrying the camera and the camera will have the bike land on it. This has happened to me a couple of times when the kick-stand didn't quite work and my bike fell over, but my Oly E510 has survived the fall. Although I put my normal camera bag in the pannier bag, so the camera does have a little extra protection.

I got a Garyfisher MTB. Thinking of change to road tires. Is it easy to change by ourself?
    Easy to change the tires - and probably something that would be handy to learn so you can get the tube out for 'field' repairs. You just have to make sure the 'road' tires you get will fit your rims - MTB rims are wider than 'road' rims. You will need what is effectively a 'slick' MTB tire.

Also my groin hurts on every pedal. Is it because I didn't wear bike tights or because of the seat or because I haven't get used to it yet?
    As others have mentioned, your saddle is not properly adjusted for you. Every one is a different shape, there is no general 'correct' way to set it up. If in doubt consult a reputable bike shop and get them to adjust your bike to you. It may be worth the $$$ just to get a pro to do the adjustments and get a comfortable ride.

Although I have found some other wise good bike shops sort of sneer at any recreational rider who isn't trying to emulate a pro-racer and are not really that interested in adjusting and accessorising for comfort over speed.

So I guess riding to eat supper is out of the question.. haha no wonder I feel heavier after my ride yesterday

I try not to have a heavy supper after the ride. It's necessary to drink whenever you feel
    thirsty. For longer rides lasting more than 4 hours I have with me energy bars and even bananas.

More tips on cycling for weight loss

http://bicycling.about.com/od/traini...etter_body.htm

Enjoy riding.

Quote Originally Posted by cichlid View Post
    You can buy a MTB and change the tires to slick ones which have much lower rolling resistance.
    i was actually thinking of doing that too.. but then, should i just change the tires or should i change the rims too? thickness of off-road wheels and slicks are different right? at least thats what i think i saw.. hmmm.
    Fast Camera. Fast Lens. Slow Me. Sigh.
    My Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by luntut View Post
    i was actually thinking of doing that too.. but then, should i just change the tires or should i change the rims too? thickness of off-road wheels and slicks are different right? at least thats what i think i saw.. hmmm.
    Yes - the rims 'roadies' use are smaller (and much lighter!) than MTB rims. But you can get MTB sized 'slicks'. I also think the diameter of the 'standard' rim is different between a MTB and a 'road' bike.

When you put the slicks on, run the pressure higher than you would for mountain biking - you want a nice hard tire for lowest rolling resistance. When mountain biking you need the suspension effect of the pneumatic tire, but you trade off efficiency for the shock absorber effect.

Quote Originally Posted by matthew View Post
    I carry my camera in a pannier bag. Years back I decided that riding with a back-pack on was just too uncomfortable so I fitted a 'luggage rack' to the rear of my bike and got a pair of 'pannier' bags.
    They carry every thing from my emergency tool kit/spares, a towel (for beach outings), a change of clothes (for riding to work) to my camera.

There is a risk in the pannier that if you fall over, you could land on the side carrying the camera and the camera will have the bike land on it. This has happened to me a couple of times when the kick-stand didn't quite work and my bike fell over, but my Oly E510 has survived the fall. Although I put my normal camera bag in the pannier bag, so the camera does have a little extra protection.

Thanks Matthew. Is it something like the leather bags on some motor bikes?

Quote Originally Posted by justshot View Post
    Thanks Matthew. Is it something like the leather bags on some motor bikes?
    Exactly the same thing, only motor cycle ones are far stronger and heaver, meant for use on larger heavier machines at far higher speeds.
    Traditional cycle ones are relatively small canvas bags. My ones are made from light nylon sheet. The newer better quality ones I have are guaranteed water proof if done up properly - the manufacturer advertising says 'go ahead and throw them in the lake' :-) (Ortlieb)

Sometimes, i feel like putting a basket in front, so that i can place my camera bag there. I like the idea that the bag is in the rider's line of sight while riding.

But of course, i didnt do it, no style liao ma, haha

Sometimes, i feel like putting a basket in front, so that i can place my camera bag there. I like the idea that the bag is in the rider's line of sight while riding.

But of course, i didnt do it, no style liao ma, haha
    I was thinking of that too.
    Installing the basket on both my Ava1.0 and 2.0.
    Like that my dogs can sit inside while cycling.

Deregistered

Hi . I was wondering if i need to transport a MTB , around 18inch . but taxi wont allow that right . Any other choice to transport it ? kinda far for me if i right from B.Batok to Yishun.

Quote Originally Posted by domdomino View Post
    Hi . I was wondering if i need to transport a MTB , around 18inch . but taxi wont allow that right . Any other choice to transport it ? kinda far for me if i right from B.Batok to Yishun.
    I have to remove both wheels to squeeze the bike into my Honda Civic's boot. (current model). It's a struggle, my road bike was easier, just remove the front wheel.

OT. I really regret changing from SUV to saloon

But Taxi's boot shd be bigger and can hold your (wheeless)bike i think .
    Last edited by cichlid; 26th March 2009 at 08:18 PM.

Deregistered

I have to remove both wheels to squeeze the bike into my Honda Civic's boot. (current model). It's a struggle, my road bike was easier, just remove the front wheel.

OT. I really regret changing from SUV to saloon

But Taxi's boot shd be bigger and can hold your (wheeless)bike i think .
    Im tinking of hire a van for 1 trip eh .

My lancer able to fit both my GTs with just the front wheel off.
    With the back passenger seats decline that is.

Just cycle back lor.

Are you buying a new bike at Yishun? Some bike shops do delivery. Which bike you are buying?

Deregistered

Nah . im buying someone online. i dont want spend so much worr. .

Im still deciding Diamond Back Response or GT Ava. 1.0 V brakes with Panracer1.75 slicks. cos idont do trail.

Nah . im buying someone online. i dont want spend so much worr. .

Im still deciding Diamond Back Response or GT Ava. 1.0 V brakes with Panracer1.75 slicks. cos idont do trail.
    I will go for the GT.

You don't have to hire a van, just call a maxi-taxi and they will come to pick you up.

I have transported three MTBs on one maxi-taxi. Very affordable too paying around $30
    for a single trip to any part of Singapore. Just ask them to give you a quote before
    you hire them. Call the taxi people to get the contacts.

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by forward View Post
    You don't have to hire a van, just call a maxi-taxi and they will come to pick you up.

I have transported three MTBs on one maxi-taxi. Very affordable too paying around $30
    for a single trip to any part of Singapore. Just ask them to give you a quote before
    you hire them. Call the taxi people to get the contacts.

Oh thanks for the advise !