Page 12 of 52 FirstFirst ... 271011121314172237 ... LastLast

Thread: CS bicycles and cyclist thread

Default Re: CS bicycles and cyclist thread

Quote Originally Posted by kelccm View Post
    You guys should read what was written in some of the cars forum regarding cyclist on the road. Basically there are some drivers who thinks that cyclist should be exterminated from this world. (Ha ha, ok this is stretching to the extreme, but you should get the gist that cyclist are not welcomed on the road).

I have stayed in France whereby cyclists are accorded more respect than other cars. Even on a narrow and windy road, cars will tend to wait till it is safe before overtake, rather than try to force you off the road. I had the chance to cycle frequently for a couple of years there, and it was most enjoyable. Alas here in Singapore, we have a long long way to go before we can reach that level civility.

As a cyclist, we have to practise defensive riding, no point trying to "fight" the drivers. Most of my rides are during the night, often past midnight. As usual, basic gears like helmet and gloves are a must. Second I'll make sure that I make myself very visible, sometimes to the point of being a bit kiasu, like putting extra blinkers and reflective clothing. On the road, I'll make sure that I follow traffic rules just like any other drivers. Red light, I will stop. And if there is a car that had already stopped at the traffic light junction, I will stop behind the car. Some drivers really hate it when cyclist just squeeze through and stop in front at the traffic lights.

There will always be some bad sheeps among the drivers and cyclist. Just ride defensively, and you should generally be safe. Another point I have read in a cycling book is to think like cars driver when riding and you should able to better anticipate other cars action on the road.
    That's the way to go.... think 3D when you ride. Practice riding more on the road and you will get better on it. I always ride on the road. Sure I get knock down twice but given so many years I ride...it is a very low figure. Really!! I promise it is really is... and keep your eyes open and always be thinking ahead and anyone would do fine.

Quote Originally Posted by cichlid View Post
    2 of my colleagues think that cycling against traffic is safer. They explained that they can see the cars coming.

hmmm...but i think the opposite is true....any comments?

Like someone else say... reaction time is shorten as car or BUS is coming towards you. If you lamp is glaring in the night... the car might think you are not riding away from him or in the same direction... if he does something wrong or some like lazy idiot cyclist who like to avoid humps or hole or bumps..the will weave out and around it instead of riding over it... you try that traffice going your way is dangerous enough...it is worst if you ride against traffic and try a stunt like that.

And if you have insurance..etc. If you are caught in such accident.. I would love to see if you can now make your claim on your insurance since you broke the law.

Hi Guys, my wife just brought me a MTB as a form of exercise for me. Just wondering, is it possible to lose my spare tire by riding bike?

Yes, if you try hard...

Quote Originally Posted by m3lv1nh0 View Post
    Hi Guys, my wife just brought me a MTB as a form of exercise for me. Just wondering, is it possible to lose my spare tire by riding bike?
    Nikon D750; FM2; FG; 55mm Micro Nikkor; 28-300 VR; 70-200 VR; Nikon V1 + 10-30mm

I probably can answer the question in a few months time, haha, i'm trying to slim down too.

I once read in Bicycling (magazine), cycling is a good form of excercise to lose weight .

You can exercise all in the world for as hard as you can.
    But if you never watch your diet, it will all go down to the drain.

ride lim chi kang everyday 30km
    the hills, good training for the legs

i did a 47km leisure ride to vivo from cck, (with kenda kinetics, high rolling resistance)
    my weight drop from 51kg to 48.8kg, next morning it maintained at sub 50kg.

so i would say its possible to lose tt spare tire

Quote Originally Posted by .Hack View Post
    You can exercise all in the world for as hard as you can.
    But if you never watch your diet, it will all go down to the drain.
    So I guess riding to eat supper is out of the question.. haha no wonder I feel heavier after my ride yesterday

So I guess riding to eat supper is out of the question.. haha no wonder I feel heavier after my ride yesterday
    Ha ha. Thats the problem with me. I will usually end up with supper after my ride. Thats why my waist line never decrease despite cycling every week. I think doing sit ups or crunch is a more effective way to lose that spare tire.
    Canon 80D|Panasonic LX3/LX5
    35f2 IS|50f1.8|85f1.8|12-24f4|18-135f4-5.6 IS|28-75f2.8

Ha ha. Thats the problem with me. I will usually end up with supper after my ride. Thats why my waist line never decrease despite cycling every week. I think doing sit ups or crunch is a more effective way to lose that spare tire.
    Actually its a common misunderstanding that sit ups and crunches will reduce your waistline.
    You see, actually all of us have the 6 packs, be it you are muscular, skinny or plump.
    For plump people, in order to reveal your 6 packs, you have to lose that spare tire around your waist.
    And by doing loads of crunches and stomach exercises will not help you get that washboard abs that you dream of.
    In fact, it will make your waist bigger.
    Imagine this, as your stomach muscles become stonger and bigger, it start to "push out".
    But with the same amount of fats around your waist, your waist will become bigger.
    So as you can see, all those ab machines, ab-king pro from TV Innovations and AIBI are all gimmicks.

The only way to lose that spare tire is to do cardio exercises.
    Cardio exercises like cycling, jogging, skipping, swimming, even brisk walk is considered cardio.
    And with a sensible diet, you will lose overall fats on your body.
    And no, you cannot target which part of the body you want to trim off that stubborn fat.
    Just my humble knowledge on exercising and training.

Default Water bottles

Guys what bottles do you use?

My pair of Outdoor research ones are cracked after 4 years. Before I order some online at rei.com, where do you guys get your bottles?
    Any value for money outlets / models to get?
    I like the easy to squeeze one handed ones, no twisting of the caps needed.
    Nikon D750; FM2; FG; 55mm Micro Nikkor; 28-300 VR; 70-200 VR; Nikon V1 + 10-30mm

Quote Originally Posted by noob117 View Post
    heres my ride polygon quatro... anyone here frequents T15 and BT hill?
    Hey nice bike! So nice to see so many cyclists cum photographers here too
    Do you often go to BT area and ride? Like scorpian/butterfly etc. Just went there this morning for a ride. I can say that it's one of the best trails in SG!

Default Re: Water bottles

Quote Originally Posted by petetherock View Post
    Guys what bottles do you use?

My pair of Outdoor research ones are cracked after 4 years. Before I order some online at rei.com, where do you guys get your bottles?
    Any value for money outlets / models to get?
    I like the easy to squeeze one handed ones, no twisting of the caps needed.
    I using those plastic sports water bottle, like Fila or Nike etc.

I using those plastic sports water bottle, like Fila or Nike etc.
    Ha ha, and I am using Adiddas Good enough for me.

But if you doing a lot of off-trail on muddy roads, you may want to consider those bottles that come with caps/cover to prevent the drinking nozzle from the mud and dirt.

Ha ha, and I am using Adiddas Good enough for me.

But if you doing a lot of off-trail on muddy roads, you may want to consider those bottles that come with caps/cover to prevent the drinking nozzle from the mud and dirt.
    Just down the water together with the dirt.
    I believe we have kena more jialat stuffs during NS.

Just down the water together with the dirt.
    I believe we have kena more jialat stuffs during NS.
    Eewww... I don't think my stomach is that strong as before

Deregistered

Hi anygood bicycles to recommand for riding long distance ?

Quote Originally Posted by domdomino View Post
    Hi anygood bicycles to recommand for riding long distance ?
    Long distance cycling you should go for road bikes.
    But if you want more versatibility, go for a MTB then change to semi-slicks.

Deregistered

Long distance cycling you should go for road bikes.
    But if you want more versatibility, go for a MTB then change to semi-slicks.
    any brands ? something that i need to work out too.

Quote Originally Posted by domdomino View Post
    any brands ? something that i need to work out too.
    For road bikes don't really know.
    But for MTB, go for GT, cos i own 2 and loving them.

Page 12 of 52 FirstFirst ... 271011121314172237 ... LastLast