Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: trip to hong kong, please advise...

  1. #1

    Default trip to hong kong, please advise...

    within the next few mths i will go to hong kong, will be my 1st trip there thou! i am actually lost of where to go and how to plan my trip as this will be a FnE trip.

    heard that HK got the one of the best night citiscapes? and those places of interests that came up on the HK tv shows? i want to go these places however have no idea what they are called nor where to refer to for planning.

    help will be appreciated!

  2. #2

    Default Re: trip to hong kong, please advise...

    Quote Originally Posted by evilorgi View Post

    heard that HK got the one of the best night citiscapes? and those places of interests that came up on the HK tv shows? i want to go these places however have no idea what they are called nor where to refer to for planning.

    help will be appreciated!
    Yes, HK has good night cityscapes. But unless you're lucky you might find the heavy pollution spoiling it by shrouding the cityscape in a choking haze. The early months of summer (June onwards) in fact usually bring much clearer skies and less pollution than other times, although it can be hot.

    WHich places of interest on TV shows? Best if you can describe them; most are not difficult to find or visit.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Northern
    Posts
    173

    Default Re: trip to hong kong, please advise...

    Just came back from HK 2.2.09
    Stayed Kimberly Hotel in Tsim Tsa Chui - walking distance to Jordan/Tsim Tsa Chui Stn
    Nice night view at Harbour Front (HK$18 by Cab - 15 mins leisure walk from Hotel)
    Plenty of Camera shops nearby (as was informed by CSERs the week before)
    Lama Island/Disneyland convenient by MRT - Buy MRT Pass @ HK$150 inclusive HK$50 deposit
    Enjoy and Have a great time..... Me & my Family did.............

  4. #4

    Default Re: trip to hong kong, please advise...

    Quote Originally Posted by vespa_bicolor View Post
    Yes, HK has good night cityscapes. But unless you're lucky you might find the heavy pollution spoiling it by shrouding the cityscape in a choking haze. The early months of summer (June onwards) in fact usually bring much clearer skies and less pollution than other times, although it can be hot.

    WHich places of interest on TV shows? Best if you can describe them; most are not difficult to find or visit.
    er. for example the various street/night markets, shopping centre with factory outlets? peak, the place with the big buddha, disneyland, ocean park, convention centre.

    have i left some places out? please share some of the spots to take photos from. tentatively the trip will be in july...

  5. #5

    Default Re: trip to hong kong, please advise...

    Quote Originally Posted by rambler View Post
    Just came back from HK 2.2.09
    Stayed Kimberly Hotel in Tsim Tsa Chui - walking distance to Jordan/Tsim Tsa Chui Stn
    Nice night view at Harbour Front (HK$18 by Cab - 15 mins leisure walk from Hotel)
    Plenty of Camera shops nearby (as was informed by CSERs the week before)
    Lama Island/Disneyland convenient by MRT - Buy MRT Pass @ HK$150 inclusive HK$50 deposit
    Enjoy and Have a great time..... Me & my Family did.............
    thanks for sharing. may i know how did you book your hotel? through tour agency? any other nice locations for hotels?

  6. #6

    Default Re: trip to hong kong, please advise...

    beware of the taxi drivers there. most of them are not honest.
    if they know u r a foreigner with different canto accent, they
    will charge you extra for the trip fare. so, remember to get
    the receipt after each trip to lodge complain with their LTA
    if it does happened.
    Taoism 你知[道]吗?http://yeobt.multiply.com
    Read With An Open Mind And Surely You Will Be Benefited.

  7. #7

    Default Re: trip to hong kong, please advise...

    Quote Originally Posted by yeobt View Post
    beware of the taxi drivers there. most of them are not honest.
    if they know u r a foreigner with different canto accent, they
    will charge you extra for the trip fare. so, remember to get
    the receipt after each trip to lodge complain with their LTA
    if it does happened.
    is it metered based or price to be set per trip? btw i cant speak canto, so no hope of faking as locals. lolx.

  8. #8

    Default Re: trip to hong kong, please advise...

    Quote Originally Posted by evilorgi View Post
    er. for example the various street/night markets, shopping centre with factory outlets? peak, the place with the big buddha, disneyland, ocean park, convention centre.

    have i left some places out? please share some of the spots to take photos from. tentatively the trip will be in july...

    The big buddha and disneyland are all on Lantau Island, which is quite big in itself and you can spend quite a big of time just commuting around the island alone. Shopping centres or streets with factory outlets are quite numerous, but can't recall any at this moment, will check with some friends and list out the addresses if you like.

    What sort of photos are you interested in taking? For normal street scenes and landscapes most of the places you mentioned will provide many opportunities.

    Taxis are metered.

  9. #9

    Default Re: trip to hong kong, please advise...

    Quote Originally Posted by evilorgi View Post
    is it metered based or price to be set per trip? btw i cant speak canto, so no hope of faking as locals. lolx.
    taxis are mettered but they will add-on many unrelated surcharges to rip you off.
    Taoism 你知[道]吗?http://yeobt.multiply.com
    Read With An Open Mind And Surely You Will Be Benefited.

  10. #10

    Default Re: trip to hong kong, please advise...

    i see. is there any web sites that i can go to for reference? that will be helpful! i thank you all for providing valuable info for me!

  11. #11
    Member watsup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Little Red Dot
    Posts
    347

    Default Re: trip to hong kong, please advise...

    Quote Originally Posted by evilorgi View Post
    i see. is there any web sites that i can go to for reference? that will be helpful! i thank you all for providing valuable info for me!
    i was there last oct also. It was interesting but air pollution is a problem though. You may want to refer to this website: http://www.discoverhongkong.com/eng/index.html

    Have fun!

  12. #12

    Default Re: trip to hong kong, please advise...

    Quote Originally Posted by evilorgi View Post
    i see. is there any web sites that i can go to for reference? that will be helpful! i thank you all for providing valuable info for me!
    not that i know but u can refer the surcharges from a table beside the taxi door.
    if u take a cab from the airport, the LTA personel there at the Q will pass u a
    slip with the info and contact number in case u need to lodge a complain.


    Taoism 你知[道]吗?http://yeobt.multiply.com
    Read With An Open Mind And Surely You Will Be Benefited.

  13. #13

    Default Re: trip to hong kong, please advise...

    ooh.. thanks thanks, these info sure is helpul to me!
    ?
    any idea that what time can i stay at the peak till? like as in will i be able to get transport down the peak? cuz i would like to take some night shots from there.
    Last edited by evilorgi; 6th February 2009 at 03:28 PM.

  14. #14

    Default Re: trip to hong kong, please advise...

    Quote Originally Posted by yeobt View Post
    taxis are mettered but they will add-on many unrelated surcharges to rip you off.
    eversince november 2008 they regulated and imposed stricter rules on taxis already and each taxi displays the fare price list and a sticker saying that its an offence to overcharge or etc.

    if you have a few people, hailing a cab is cheaper than taking the mtr
    pedantic.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •