Thread: What camera to buy for a newbie ?

Default What camera to buy for a newbie ?

Hi all ,
    I'm new around here and i am planning to buy a camera for the fun of it .
    Just taking photos , developing the picture seems so cool.
    Anyway , I am planning to buy 1 for the fun of it around $100-$200
    Any Suggestions ?

Thanks ,

Default Re: What camera to buy for a newbie ?

Maybe you may want to check out the offers in the Buy/Sell corner or get a film cam.
    Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony

I'm assuming you want a film camera and an SLR?

Maybe try looking through the buy/sell forums for a used manual Nikon SLR with a 50mm E series lens, those could be within your budget. Do some research on the forums or on the net first though before you buy.

i wanna get a film cam but since i'm new to the camera scene , i dont know what kinda to buy , what's good and what's worth it .
    Thanks all for the replys though

Quote Originally Posted by thesmallprint View Post
    i wanna get a film cam but since i'm new to the camera scene , i dont know what kinda to buy , what's good and what's worth it .
    Then decide first what you want to do. Any equipment supporting your needs and intentions is worth buying then.
    It's the same as in digital: there small pocket cameras with minimal controls, fixed aperture or fixed shutter speed and all you can do is point, click and see what comes out. Due to the lenses you might get some funny fish-eye effects as with the Vivitar. Then there the pocket cams with some better controls. not sure how many of them you can still find, many people dumped them in favour of the digicams. And then there are the SLR cameras with full control, interchangeable lenses, lots of equipment around etc. The more control the cameras offer the more you need to know (learning curve). Alternatively you can have a look at the Rangefinder cameras. Full control but different optical concept and working on prime lenses. That's all still on 35mm film. Above this you'll find Medium format film cameras ... an entire different world to explore
    I suggest you look into the film camera section: Before Digital, Beyond 35mm

looks like alot of info huh . Any good and i dont know , less then $200 to recomand ? thanks !

looks like alot of info huh . Any good and i dont know , less then $200 to recomand ? thanks !
    if SLR for a newbie Nikon EM not too bad; or FXX 60/65/70 think it will be within the budget
    Last edited by Nenjia; 5th February 2009 at 05:00 PM.

dont look like you need a SLR camera. A PnS with wide angle or telephoto could do the job just as well just that for $200 kind of budget dont expect a lot of manual functions.
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

Quote Originally Posted by Reportage View Post
    dont look like you need a SLR camera. A PnS with wide angle or telephoto could do the job just as well just that for $200 kind of budget dont expect a lot of manual functions.
    A PnS with whide angle or telephoto ? mind elaborating ? sorry I'm kinda new at this

Hi TS,

How about start with the camera below.
    Brand : Canon
    Model : Prima Super 115 (35mm film type, not digital)
    Brand new in box, never use.
    Selling Price : S$10.00 (self collect at Woodlands Area)

PM me if interested.

Sorry, I don't know how to attached pictures.

Nor do you seem to know how to PM the TS if its off topic.

Quote Originally Posted by nice1888 View Post
    Sorry, I don't know how to attached pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by nice1888 View Post
    Hi TS,

How about start with the camera below.
    Brand : Canon
    Model : Prima Super 115 (35mm film type, not digital)
    Brand new in box, never use.
    Selling Price : S$10.00 (self collect at Woodlands Area)

PM me if interested.

send me a email at the.smallprint@hotmail.com with the pictures . THANKS !

A PnS with whide angle or telephoto ? mind elaborating ? sorry I'm kinda new at this
    Nobody can help you if you don't make any efforts to read and learn. But chances are good that you'll waste money on something you don't need...

i know but there's so many stuff and i dont know where to start . I aint gonna learn to ride a bicycle is some1 isnt there to push me .

go youtube or go library for photography books.
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

To TS, this is a kind of thread that you will get varied responses, and you have to expect them to question YOU before you can even expect answers from us.

I say this because you are in a forum where we thrive on the technical as well as artistic aspect of photography. Most of us here e are not here merely to 'buy a camera for the fun of it.' 'For the fun of it', you WILL be better off with your built in camera of your mobile phone. 'For the fun of it' you might as well buy a simple $100 off the rack camera from an camera shop.

We, we are the ones who enjoy the thrill of the hunt. Most of us are in it (photography) for the long term. And in that light, spending even $200 can mean 'for the future'. A lens you buy now at $200 can be used for at least another 8yrs, even more. Now, you have to ask yourself, do you think $200 in this sense is 'for the fun of it?'

The $200 you spend now on a simple film SLR can lead you to spending another $3000 on the latest Film SLR body. Would this be 'for the fun of it?'

Would you want to bother about the technicalities that we put ourselves through? Coz these technicalities are definetely not for the mindset of the 'for the fun of it.'

Its possible to learn to ride without someone pushing you from behind.
    So long you get on the bicycle first.
    The sooner you get it, the longer you enjoy it.
    I welcome you @ www.benaw.zenfolio.com