Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sunset by the beach

Default Sunset by the beach

This shot was taken to capture the beauty of Sunset in LA, santa monica.
    I pp a bit, increasing contrast and adding the borders. other than that i didnt do anytihng else

settings on camera :
    iso 100
    f/5
    70mm
    1/1600 shutter speed.

why f/5 -> didnt adjust...hopes its gd egh...though i would prefer to shoot in f8-11...but this is one of my better shots(compowise) why 70mm i was using a 70-300 mm lens

C&C required: any comments are welcome particiular in the area of

composition( was the sun too bright, or could the bulding be brighter), is this shot well expose. anyway to pp so that photo better. thanks in advance =)

Default Re: Sunset by the beach

i kinda like the compo of the pic. however, as you mentioned, i think it would have been better shot at f8-11. this would give the clouds more definition. i would also have preferred the sky to be a little redder. cheers!
    JustOneSmile.that's all i need..

Quote Originally Posted by teoelisha View Post
    this would give the clouds more definition.
    this is not a true statement, based on the conditions of the clouds here.

threadstarter - is it possible to post up a larger version of the shot? something like 700 pixel wide.

heres a larger on =)

In my opinion, there's a lack of contrast between the house and the cloud.

nice dreamy effect, but the sea spoils that somewhat cos the wavelets are very well-defined.

maybe can blur it abit.. haha.. or use NR to reduce the fine details just for the sea

thanks to all that reply... really appreicate it.

haruri...what do u mean by lack of contrast?

boyboy - ha...i could try it next time =) or maybe do some pp later see how it goes

Guessed one rule here is not to shoot towards the sun.. else... likely to get silhouette effects.

Think you using A piority...

Shot at M. Underexpose the sky.. Use CPL...

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Ng View Post
    Guessed one rule here is not to shoot towards the sun.. else... likely to get silhouette effects.

Think you using A piority...

Shot at M. Underexpose the sky.. Use CPL...

Cheers.

yup...shot with A.
    dun shoot @ sun? but i wanna shoot the sun how?

CPL = circular polariser right...i have it..but dunno how to use..haha what does it really do
    always shoot le like no diff...maybe use wrongly =x
    Last edited by wildsoyabean; 9th February 2009 at 03:40 PM.

Your CPL has grooves on it. Try it on a bright day, remove the lens hood and just turn the filter... You should see the changes.

It is best to avoid the sun as we term this as a Tricky situation, Complex light condition.

The light is Harsh here. Look at most travel and landscape pictures, if the sun is not like the salted egg or red type or the star burst type... it would sort of kill the pic.

I would imagine myself shooting at ISO 400, f/8~11, 1/500~1/640 + ND2 Filter.

Read more, shoot more.

Cheers!

this one like salted egg / red type...anot?

i pp a bit
    Last edited by wildsoyabean; 9th February 2009 at 04:00 PM.

Something about the whole composition,
    makes me wanna see more of the sea than the sky.
    My focus point is
    definitely not the 'kelong' as there is nothing much to see, except dark patch of it.
    definitely not the sky, as there ain't any sharp features about it, in fact, it looks gloomy.
    But the sea[reflections from the sun], caught my eyes... but the composition din do much justice to it.

i actually quite like it. Agree that if a longer shutter could be used to "smoothen" out the sea , that would help. otherwise, great attempt there

to me, i think this shot is already quite good, cos nothing much need to really add to the picture, as nature just pass and every day the shot will be different. he have captured the essence of the shot.

composition, lighting, etc, fitting to the theme. silhouette just add more contrast to the picture.

wildsoya one is probably too dark to be appreciated.
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Ng View Post
    Your CPL has grooves on it. Try it on a bright day, remove the lens hood and just turn the filter... You should see the changes.

It is best to avoid the sun as we term this as a Tricky situation, Complex light condition.

The light is Harsh here. Look at most travel and landscape pictures, if the sun is not like the salted egg or red type or the star burst type... it would sort of kill the pic.

I would imagine myself shooting at ISO 400, f/8~11, 1/500~1/640 + ND2 Filter.

Read more, shoot more.

Cheers!
    Excuse me for asking, but is there a particular reason you'd shoot at ISO 400?

Quote Originally Posted by calebk View Post
    Excuse me for asking, but is there a particular reason you'd shoot at ISO 400?
    i think probably he wanted to have a lighter silhouette. increasing iso will increase the sensitivity, hence if he meter as per now, the blacken buildings will not be as dark. but its easier to just use HDR.
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    i think probably he wanted to have a lighter silhouette. increasing iso will increase the sensitivity, hence if he meter as per now, the blacken buildings will not be as dark. but its easier to just use HDR.
    oh ya, also provided the dynamic range of the camera dun screw up.

Time the seagull ?

If the seagull were to be captured on the top right corner it would make a much more balance and impactful picture.

Just my thought.

Quote Originally Posted by BUZ_BUZ View Post
    Time the seagull ?

If the seagull were to be captured on the top right corner it would make a much more balance and impactful picture.

Just my thought.
    how about photoshop the seagull to top right

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast