Thread: Shutter speed.

Default Shutter speed.

hi,

noticed that some of the protrait shots i took using my 300D and EF50mm 1.8MKII turned out blurr handheld... using speeds of 1/15 and slower turned out blurr w/o use of flash ...

i know that for focal lenght 50mm, need to use at least 1/60 shutter speed as a guide... but i thot for faster lens just as the above, the speed could be slowed slight handheld... or am i wrong?

kindly advise... thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Ang
    hi,

noticed that some of the protrait shots i took using my 300D and EF50mm 1.8MKII turned out blurr handheld... using speeds of 1/15 and slower turned out blurr w/o use of flash ...

i know that for focal lenght 50mm, need to use at least 1/60 shutter speed as a guide... but i thot for faster lens just as the above, the speed could be slowed slight handheld... or am i wrong?

kindly advise... thanks
    well, since u didn't post yr pic, my guess will be camera shake. try to hold yr cam firmly and both elbows tuck in. that should reduce the cam shake significantly. Control yr breathing too.

you use fast lens (set to biggest aperture) in order to achieve speed of 1/60 in low light conditions (where slower lens might require 1/15).

Heh, using fast lens doesn't mean you suddenly can keep your hands steady longer, which is why people recommend the speed of 1/60. Sometimes you can get away with 1/45. if you are really steady. Leaning against something helps. 1/30 is really really long, and chances of handshake almost imminent, don't forget, you probably need to hold your breadth too.

BTW, 1/60 is just a guideline, if your hands shake really badly, you are breathing really hard, or if your subject is moving, adjust accordingly.

1/15?!! well, ....... try using a tripod. Some use bean bags as quick improvisation. Also, use the cable release or built-in timer function.

hi,

kindly advise... thanks
    any fast lens still apply the basic rule :
    1/focal length sec

with 1.6x .. u need a least the speed of 1/80 sec

with fast lens , your setting is abt 1/15 sec
    with slow lens , your settings should be 1sec liao ..
    See my Photo Gallery at the Clubsnap

hi guys,

Thanks for your reply.

i was just wondering ... would increasing the ISO help?

hi guys,

Thanks for your reply.

i was just wondering ... would increasing the ISO help?

Yes........ but that would make your pic look more grainy..... most people use slow speed film for portraits to get very fine grain and colour saturation since portraits are usually shot ina studio or on at least no movement from the subject...... so u have all the time in the world to expose the shot properly and nicely provided u use a tripod... any tripod will do since u are just using a 50mm lens........ those cheap $40 tripods from Giottos wille be good enough....... u need more sturdy ones if u are going longer than 100mm.......

Using a higher ISO can help to increase the shutter speed so that you won't handshake blur. But that can also increase the grain size (if its not a problem to you its fine. Some people like grain, some don't. I think grain can enhance a pictue in certain circumstances)

Best way to avoid handshake is to use a tripod.

Also using a faster lens (as in the largest aperature) may not nessessarily be a good option cos that changes the DOF of the picture. You might not want a shallow DOF. So in this case a tripod will still be a good solution.
    Last edited by coke21; 6th October 2003 at 10:19 AM.

you forget tt you can use flash to compensate the speed ... try bounce effect ..
    See my Photo Gallery at the Clubsnap

you could increase ISO to 800 without much increase in noise.
    Check out my wildlife pics at www.instagram.com/conrad_nature

Well, my method sometimes works.. I used self timer instead finger on trigger. Sometimes, it's the finger that triggers made the pic blurr more when using hand held. I control my breathing and use self timer for pics <60ms when using handheld...

Quote Originally Posted by mpenza

I think 4R is okay lor..... or even 5R..... but once u go up to 8x12, then it's a bit obvious the grains........

Quote Originally Posted by TME
    I think 4R is okay lor..... or even 5R..... but once u go up to 8x12, then it's a bit obvious the grains........
    you are referring to ISO800 on the 300D right?

Quote Originally Posted by megaweb
    you forget tt you can use flash to compensate the speed ... try bounce effect ..

i wanted to use the natural lights... so didn't use the flash to freeze the action..

Quote Originally Posted by mpenza

is it really true? i haven't tried uping the ISO that much before...

maybe i should try

Quote Originally Posted by tokrot
    Well, my method sometimes works.. I used self timer instead finger on trigger. Sometimes, it's the finger that triggers made the pic blurr more when using hand held. I control my breathing and use self timer for pics <60ms when using handheld...

actually i have the remote as well.. but it has to be set on the tripod to work properly...

one thing i don't understand is that using EF50 1.8 MKII, the focusing is very difficult indoor slightly low light condition even in F1.8... anyone any idea why? or i have a lemon for my EF50?

Quote Originally Posted by wacko
    you are referring to ISO800 on the 300D right?

Hoo! Paiseh....... forgot we are talking digital........ I was refering to prints from negative film.......

But actually I have been reading that DSLRs dun perform at high ISOs...... most at ISO800 already show grains/noise and the quality is rather poorer than film SLRs........ I'm not sure if the new crop of DLSRs are better or not........