Hi everyone, I'm new here.
I used to do photography on film about 7-8 years ago, but retired because film prints and processing is expensive and quite a hassle. Recently, my friend has reignited my interest and I'm planning to get a new dSLR.
My budget currently allows me to only get a new D90 or a used D300. I am planning to get the body only for both, as I have preference for other lenses.
I won't be shooting much action/sports but my friend has been advising me to get the D300. Better ergonomics, faster autofocus, higher fps, and 51 autofocus points.
The other factors which I am considering with regards to the body:
1. Resale value = I reckon the new D90 has less resale value than a used D300. Useful when upgrading.
2. D400 coming out = this may obsolete the D300.
3. Money issue = it's the recession now. Trying to save as much as possible, but not compromising picture quality. HAHA!
I have done some research and the plan for my new system is as follows:
1. Body = new D90 or used D300. Still undecided.
2. 1 Prime Lense = 50mm f1.4 or 50mm f1.8. Is the price difference worth it?
3. 1 Zoom Lense = 18-200mm or 55-200mm. Is the price difference worth it?
4. 1 Flash unit = SB600 or SB800
5. 1 Tripod = no idea yet. any advice?
6. 1 Camera bag = no idea too, any recommendations?
This is the system I have in mind at the moment.
Most of the photos which I will take are landscapes and portraits. Appreciate if you guys can provide your input.