Thread: Wondrous Sunset

Default Wondrous Sunset

Here's my very first post in the critique corner...
    Please feel free to comment on any aspects that I've done wrongly or need to improve on as a newbie. I do hope to improve on my shots. =)

Camera: Nikon D90
    Lens: kit 18~105mm lens
    Aperture: f/5.6
    Exposure: 1/40 sec
    Exposure bias: +0.3 step
    Focal Length: 30 mm
    ISO: 400

The shot was taken sometime back when I was travelling in Korea, climbing up some steep paths up to the peak of the mountain.

It was a couple of minutes before sunset when I got to the peak of the mountain and by chance or luck, I was able to witness the beautiful process of sunset (it was gloomy throughout most of my trip). The hues of the last rays of sun reflected so beautifully onto the skies like the rainbow ice-cream i ate when I was younger.

In order to show the beautiful colours of the sunset, I contrasted the skies with the pale and dull colours of the rock cliffs of the mountain.

Did abit of cropping and enhancing of the sunset hues to make the contrast between the foreground and background more visible.
    [[nikon-ed]] 2mths before christmas.

Default Re: Wondrous Sunset

I am a newbie too, but personally i just love this photo

You broke the "one thirds" composition rule, yet you broke it nicely, I must say. The ship far away on the horizon adds great amount of interest to this photo.

I am not good at judging colors, but the colors and contrast looks fine to me.

One last thing is I can feel the sense of peace when I look at the photo.
    My Flickr Gallary,Welcome!
    135L since APR 5, 2008

Quote Originally Posted by freebsdntu View Post
    I am a newbie too, but personally i just love this photo

You broke the "one thirds" composition rule, yet you broke it nicely, I must say. The ship far away on the horizon adds great amount of interest to this photo.

I am not good at judging colors, but the colors and contrast looks fine to me.

One last thing is I can feel the sense of peace when I look at the photo.

Thanks alot for the feedback.

I was drawn by the colours too, at that moment and didn't realise the part about one third when I took the photo. Thanks for pointing it out. =)

I felt peace too... the colours made the whole place looked dreamy...

If you could have the white spot of the sunset move a little further in and in so doing, the color of the water would also be made more warm purple. I mean if could change the positioning of this shot. Also, try to have the small black ship in full view. Anyway, a good try.

I rather the mountain be left out.... Just the sky, the horizon and the boat...

Where is the subject...

This is neither artistic nor I don't see any rule being broken.... It is just a record short to tell people that 'Hey! I have been there!' Can't tell it is Korea....

A tighter crop would improve. You can to decide whether you want to focus on the mountain or the sea... :-}

Shoot more.... Join a club... Can learn faster. :-}

http://nghofei.multiply.com/photos/a...el_Halong_Bay#

Cheers!
    Last edited by Andrew Ng; 16th February 2009 at 04:17 PM.

I feel a lack in subject.
    Ya i see the cliff, was the texture or formation interesting?
    i see the sea and the clouds somehow the haze is obstructing and colors subdued. ( i read somewhere that a polariser can improve hazy/low contrast due to long distance.)
    5DMk2,400D,EOS3 50mm F1.4,28-75 F2.8,GRDIII 28mm F1.9
    www.flickr.com/jenson_goh

Quote Originally Posted by chvictor View Post
    If you could have the white spot of the sunset move a little further in and in so doing, the color of the water would also be made more warm purple. I mean if could change the positioning of this shot. Also, try to have the small black ship in full view. Anyway, a good try.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Ng View Post
    I rather the mountain be left out.... Just the sky, the horizon and the boat...

Where is the subject...

This is neither artistic nor I don't see any rule being broken.... It is just a record short to tell people that 'Hey! I have been there!' Can't tell it is Korea....

A tighter crop would improve. You can to decide whether you want to focus on the mountain or the sea... :-}

Shoot more.... Join a club... Can learn faster. :-}

http://nghofei.multiply.com/photos/a...el_Halong_Bay#

Cheers!
    Quote Originally Posted by blurry80 View Post
    I feel a lack in subject.
    Ya i see the cliff, was the texture or formation interesting?
    i see the sea and the clouds somehow the haze is obstructing and colors subdued. ( i read somewhere that a polariser can improve hazy/low contrast due to long distance.)

Thanks alot for the critique guys.
    I'll try to simplify and crop my subject in future.

and yup, I heard about the polariser too... Am going to get one soon.

Thanks alot for the feedback....
    =)

Hi,

I guess that you can't go out today and take the same shot

I think that the metering is out.....

Try it again but use the D90's D'Lighting settings .... try the same shot but with different D'Lighting values.

You can set the camera to do 2 or 3 shots at different values !

Cheers
    Time, is an effortless construction :)

I think I am seeing highlights at the edge of the cliff? Did you do any post processing? If you are than you may wish to watch out not to over doing it.
    Last edited by Jet Lim; 18th February 2009 at 10:36 PM.