Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How will recession hit the wedding photography business?

Default Re: How will recession hit the wedding photography business?

not sure about others, but malay weddings seem to be on full blast for the whole of this year. it's unbelievable!
    constantly learning & trying.

Quote Originally Posted by linkandzelda View Post
    not sure about others, but malay weddings seem to be on full blast for the whole of this year. it's unbelievable!
    cos this year wedding is all book back in 2008 when times are good ma... its either press ahead on high rates, or deposit being confiscated...

Quote Originally Posted by ricohflex View Post
    Me only hobbyist.
    People just ask their friends and relatives to snap in a recession.

Everyday read big companies overseas cut tens of thousands of jobs.
    Today Nissan say 20,000 retrenchments.
    You sure couples dare settle down in deep recession?
    Cannot even feed oneself, then want to be responsible for a new family?
    i personally believe there are different camps of ppl out there... i personally knw of ppl holding back wedding during the "strong" times as prices are too steep... now they come out to sweep all their stuff at lower cost... they are so happy to have hold back and waited till now...

of cos there are other camps as well...

Quote Originally Posted by Xiao_shin View Post
    Knew some couples who only took up video to cut cost.

make sense, cos with video, u can freeze screen and print out nice angles.. hee...
    but effect will be different

I remembered seeing news about CEO and senior management cutting pay of 10-20%. Since they already earning so much, 10-20% cut is nothing. Similarly for wedding photographers, earning so much liao, cut some still earn a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Potter View Post
    I dun think wedding photographers will be hit as they already charge so high. During recession just earn lesser a bit but still fat profit.
    I remembered seeing news about CEO and senior management cutting pay of 10-20%. Since they already earning so much, 10-20% cut is nothing. Similarly for wedding photographers, earning so much liao, cut some still earn a lot.

if we earn a lot we'll be driving exotic cars...staying in huge landed property with a studio inside...play golf every weekend...

what u see is superficial...u nv add in the cost of overheads, equipments deprec, editing time, deliverables.

Quote Originally Posted by m3lv1nh0 View Post
    Recession is here and there's no escaping it. Couples will be on a budget. How should we as wedding photographers react to this? Should we reduce price to attract more budget couples or stick to our guns on the prices? Which options makes more business sense?

I was hoping the pros here could share their insight on this. Thanks.
    Should the photographer reduce his price to attract more budget couples, how would former clients react if their friends get a lower rate than them maybe a couple months back?

However despite the recession I have heard of couples relating to me that there are photographers who were charging $500-700 range last year tripled their rates to $1500-$2500 range hoping to try fit in into the middle end market.

Assuming these photographers are not doing well now and are intending to lower their price. Why try to fit into larger shoes in the first place?

In the B2C concept...you don't see milk powders slashing prices so that poorer families can feed their babies. Likewise for us, Like what Canturn said "Never let a client's budget problem become your problem, and strictly biz, let it be the other vendor's problem At the end of the day, it's what the couple value most and what are the things that they can do without. "

we should not let this become a major problem to us unless the shoe we try to fit in is larger than what we can wear...

Quote Originally Posted by Lumiere View Post

if we earn a lot we'll be driving exotic cars...staying in huge landed property with a studio inside...play golf every weekend...

what u see is superficial...u nv add in the cost of overheads, equipments deprec, editing time, deliverables.
    I thought those charging $5,000 onwards per job photographers are eating big bucks?

Should the photographer reduce his price to attract more budget couples, how would former clients react if their friends get a lower rate than them maybe a couple months back?

However despite the recession I have heard of couples relating to me that there are photographers who were charging $500-700 range last year tripled their rates to $1500-$2500 range hoping to try fit in into the middle end market.

Assuming these photographers are not doing well now and are intending to lower their price. Why try to fit into larger shoes in the first place?

In the B2C concept...you don't see milk powders slashing prices so that poorer families can feed their babies. Likewise for us, Like what Canturn said "Never let a client's budget problem become your problem, and strictly biz, let it be the other vendor's problem At the end of the day, it's what the couple value most and what are the things that they can do without. "

we should not let this become a major problem to us unless the shoe we try to fit in is larger than what we can wear...

Milk powders dun slash price because it is essential.

Wedding photography is not an essential thing. Infact, wedding ceremony also not essential if the couples are really in tight situation. I'm sure we all have heard of couples just go ROM office, get flats, no banquets at all.

Milk powders dun slash price because it is essential.

Wedding photography is not an essential thing. Infact, wedding ceremony also not essential if the couples are really in tight situation. I'm sure we all have heard of couples just go ROM office, get flats, no banquets at all.
    For myself, my clients are not necessarily people who are rich - on the contrary, many of them stays in HDB flats, some don't even drive to meet me at my office.

It's never about affordablilty, because anyone who can afford a 20-table banquet can afford almost all the photographers in the market.

One trend that I've noticed over the past 3 years, a large percentage, and this year about 85% of my clients are people who 1) are overseas 2)lived or worked overseas 3) studied overseas

I've seen friends who earn big bucks, drives posh cars, had the most lavish banquet, allocating only $800 for their wedding photographer.

End of the day, it's a question of mindset vs affordability

Thats rite...sometimes even the rich can be cheapskate...while the average joe can spend more becos he feels its worth it all.

Quote Originally Posted by snowspeeder View Post
    Thats rite...sometimes even the rich can be cheapskate...while the average joe can spend more becos he feels its worth it all.
    This insight I never see before. Think about it, I have this friend whose dad own a landed house and operate a business in S'pore and China. But he is using a cheapo non-camera phone! And I not working, own a high-end expensive phone.

This insight I never see before. Think about it, I have this friend whose dad own a landed house and operate a business in S'pore and China. But he is using a cheapo non-camera phone! And I not working, own a high-end expensive phone.
    That's because he has his priorities right. I think that's what you need. Set your goals and set your priorities. No need to attend extra class for that kind of knowledge. LOL!

Hmmm I dun think so....counting the number of "red bomb" i receive so far....the number of wedding I have to attend this yr is double of last yr
    Canon 40D: EF 24-105 L f/4 IS: Speedlite 580 EX II

Recession or not, the show must go on! LOL!!

This industry is recession-proof!
    Please Don't Report This Post To A Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Xiao_shin View Post
    This industry is recession-proof!
    That's why I should become a wedding photographer, charge $6000 per job, laugh my way to the bank.

That's why I should become a wedding photographer, charge $6000 per job, laugh my way to the bank.
    People must be willingly to pay you before you can start charging those amount.

Remember, Harry. You are a wizard. Not a wedding photographer.
    Please Don't Report This Post To A Moderator

If you're confident of achieving that rate then there is no reason why you should not come on board. As for laughing your way to the bank, I suppose is not only the monetary reward, its about the satisfaction of having delivered good work to your client and the happiness on their face that last beyond their anniversaries to come.

It's never an easy job as a wedding photographer especially so if you are doing it full time. Working in the wee hours (especially those with family and kids, work start onli after they are in bed) and working towards the growing demand of the industry can really drain your energy.

It's all about your passion in your work and as JoHo put it in another thread where he would defend this industry with his life given the circumstances that discredit the art of wedding photography.

End of the day, its your fulfillment in life, something money can't get you there in most instances.

Just my thoughts.

I would love to learn from the photographer who can tripled his price but then again my standard not there yet, so gonna work hard towwads that.

But I agree that one should measure the value of one's work and it will be a natural progression in your pricing when the customer dun mind paying for it. And the shoe that you wear will fit perfectly

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast