Thread: Mac Hardware Question

Default Mac Hardware Question

My faithful macbook pro (1st generation) has finally died. Apple quoted me $1300 to replace the motherboard. *fainted*

The question I wish to ask (if anyone knows) is, my old MBP is using a core duo 1.83 processor motherboard. Will a new core 2 duo motherboard (for mac book pros) which i can get off the internet work, or should I get back the same one ?

just FYI, the boards have the processor soldered on, so the motherboard comes with the processor. (do correct me if i'm wrong)

Default Re: Mac Hardware Question

how about getting a new laptop. if change MotherBoard, still got problem, what should u do?

my apple HDD crash lately, taking out the HDD is $50, replacing HDD is $100-$200. there is still uncertainty that if it's HDD problem only, so i brought a new laptop instead!!

Blog Entries

want to give me your old laptop to open up for operation?

Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    want to give me your old laptop to open up for operation?
    u mean mine or TS? wonder wat should i do with it??

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dreaming View Post
    u mean mine or TS? wonder wat should i do with it??
    yours lah, the TS want to buy another MB

actually I've already planned to buy a new one.

Just wondering if it's worth fixing the old one since the display has no problems. I kinda like the older matted screens compared to the new glossy ones.

Anyway just FYI, the answer (to my own question) seems to be ... the new core 2 motherboards won't fit unless i change the bottom casing as well, cos they come with an additional firewire 800 port. I can however, try my luck with the core duo 2.16Ghz boards which come from the same generation of macs.

Opening up a mac (to operate) is fun... first time I tried it to fix the thermal paste overheating problem, I have 1 screw left over ... took me a while to figure out where it went back to.

Blog Entries

TS your other option is to buy the same laptop and use for spare parts

Quote Originally Posted by dreaming View Post
    how about getting a new laptop. if change MotherBoard, still got problem, what should u do?

my apple HDD crash lately, taking out the HDD is $50, replacing HDD is $100-$200. there is still uncertainty that if it's HDD problem only, so i brought a new laptop instead!!
    Hmm ... do the operation yourself lah .. like what i did for my Ibook G4. I do my own Harddisk replacement and formating. No point asking apple service center to do it for you. Save $$ .. time is bad now .. lolx

buy a refurb 17" one lorz.
    Chanxj
    my blog @ http://sgsnap.com