Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for Mountain bikes, any suggestion?

Default Re: Looking for Mountain bikes, any suggestion?

Quote Originally Posted by sammy888 View Post
    Wah you in the same industry or something related? should mean you get some discount for bike stuff hehehe...
    no, but my relatives in tw mfg these bikes. (matrix was one of their key tw brand). Was approched to bring in for them on several occasions when i visited them in tw each time, but declined them as they go by 20ft containers

its very competitive in tw to make bikes and they are struggling to export now given the weak demand over the years.

besides, me no biker so i wont want to ride on this trade. but some 10yrs back, to entertain, i did one shipment of kids bike (scooter) and made a small profit. it was scary as we created a trend in the industry and supplied solely to a major sports chain, but it took less than 3mths for competition to flick in and in the end, the trend died within a year. i was like, dam heng@!

its a dog eat dog biz for bikes and this is one reason why brands like raleigh resort to go consumer grade and join the army of cannibals to eat each other.

again, if i may stress, i am a complete noob in bikes.

Quote Originally Posted by contaxable View Post
    no, but my relatives in tw mfg these bikes. (matrix was one of their key tw brand). Was approched to bring in for them on several occasions when i visited them in tw each time, but declined them as they go by 20ft containers

its very competitive in tw to make bikes and they are struggling to export now given the weak demand over the years.

besides, me no biker so i wont want to ride on this trade. but some 10yrs back, to entertain, i did one shipment of kids bike (scooter) and made a small profit. it was scary as we created a trend in the industry and supplied solely to a major sports chain, but it took less than 3mths for competition to flick in and in the end, the trend died within a year. i was like, dam heng@!

its a dog eat dog biz for bikes and this is one reason why brands like raleigh resort to go consumer grade and join the army of cannibals to eat each other.

again, if i may stress, i am a complete noob in bikes.

well most business that are small and lack the competitive muscle to claim exclusive and have the means to hold it will following the way of the BUBBLE TEA business trend.

At one time I would not have ind going into it since I was nuts about it but then so was photographer and golf and tennis and bowling and ........ heheheheheheh

Your budget can get you a GT Avalanche 3.0, which is quite a decent bike.
    Can consider Giant Boulder too.

Some reputable shops around are C2C at AMK, Hup Leong at Chin Swee.

Quote Originally Posted by petetherock View Post
    Bro

If you had read an earlier thread on bicycles (just a week ago) you will know where to get the Raleigh Mojave cheap:

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showt...99#post4685899

Got mine for <300
    I was quoted the retail price of $540 at Hiap Guan!!!!
    I almost fainted! It was quoted by the lady. The guy in-charge is not around. I can't see the physical goods as they don't have display. Saw the GT Av 3.0 and felt in love
    Buying 2 will set me back $1.3K plus car rack
    Anyone knows where can get below $650 for the GT A 3.0?
    Greatly appreciate if anyone knows where.
    Current market condition must try to save even $10 is still money
    Blacklisted List......Underdog and 82511722

Quote Originally Posted by Stress View Post
    I was quoted the retail price of $540 at Hiap Guan!!!!
    I almost fainted! It was quoted by the lady. The guy in-charge is not around. I can't see the physical goods as they don't have display. Saw the GT Av 3.0 and felt in love
    Buying 2 will set me back $1.3K plus car rack
    Anyone knows where can get below $650 for the GT A 3.0?
    Greatly appreciate if anyone knows where.
    Current market condition must try to save even $10 is still money
    Didn't know Avalanche 3.0 is $650.
    2 years back, Avalanche 3.0 was $400+, $600+ can get you a Avalanche 1.0.
    Did the shop try to rip you off?
    Or maybe there's a drastic increase in price?

You may try C2C located at AMK.
    Alot of cyclists rant bout the shop in togoparts.

Quote Originally Posted by .Hack View Post

Think the price has increased..I was recently quoted $620 for avalanche 3.0 V, $720 for disc at a shop in hougang (which charges 20cents for the use of their air pump)..... I walked straight out..

Quote Originally Posted by rOnGrEn View Post
    (which charges 20cents for the use of their air pump).....
    Although people have the rights to say, "use my stuffs, right for me to ask for a fee".
    But this is too..

Anyone know of any GT bike sales? Too many bikes shops to run about.
    One more thing, looking for a car rack any recommendation? I've driving a sedan and need to carry only 2 bikes. Cheers
    Blacklisted List......Underdog and 82511722

Quote Originally Posted by .Hack View Post

Certain bicycles like the GT Avalanche 3.0 is updated on a yearly basis. Because of that, prices can vary. Ask for an older one if you want a cheaper one...that is if they have older models stocked. Which I doubt they do. Most bike shops can carry almost anything but not at their shop, they will order from each other depending on who holds the dealership and they are on good working terms with that dealershop or are competitor or not. It is a small industry here so they depend on each other on sales and stocks....depending on what a customer wants and willing to pay the price for it.

That is why sometime the same model bike from GT for example depend on how they spec the bike so one year's model can cost more then say a current one and then compared to a 3 yrs model. Prices for all these Taiwan-made lower end bikes are all about the same and the difference is really not alot in terms of the markup. If you really want to get the cheapest then be prepared to go drive about and find it and talk to the shops and negotiate.
    What you also want is a shop that is nearby your house then to go get one that is at the other end of Singapore and everytime there is something wrong with it you have to cycle or drive it down there just to get it fixed. So don't just look at the saving of a few dollars alone and also consider other brands too and maybe read abit more on component parts too. This will be a good indicator why it cost more this time compare to last year..etc. The bike might look good to you because of colour or the style..etc but without the basic knowledge you can be buying a lemon for all you know or a bike that only last a few rides and you start to see rust and other damages from just riding it about.
    Last edited by sammy888; 8th February 2009 at 01:19 AM.

Certain bicycles like the GT Avalanche 3.0 is updated on a yearly basis. Because of that, prices can vary. Ask for an older one if you want a cheaper one...that is if they have older models stocked. Which I doubt they do. Most bike shops can carry almost anything but not at their shop, they will order from each other depending on who holds the dealership and they are on good working terms with that dealershop or are competitor or not. It is a small industry here so they depend on each other on sales and stocks....depending on what a customer wants and willing to pay the price for it.

That is why sometime the same model bike from GT for example depend on how they spec the bike so one year's model can cost more then say a current one and then compared to a 3 yrs model. Prices for all these Taiwan-made lower end bikes are all about the same and the difference is really not alot in terms of the markup. If you really want to get the cheapest then be prepared to go drive about and find it and talk to the shops and negotiate.
    What you also want is a shop that is nearby your house then to go get one that is at the other end of Singapore and everytime there is something wrong with it you have to cycle or drive it down there just to get it fixed. So don't just look at the saving of a few dollars alone and also consider other brands too and maybe read abit more on component parts too. This will be a good indicator why it cost more this time compare to last year..etc. The bike might look good to you because of colour or the style..etc but without the basic knowledge you can be buying a lemon for all you know or a bike that only last a few rides and you start to see rust and other damages from just riding it about.
    If I read your posts earlier I can have a better choice, too bad I bought my bike before new year.

Quote Originally Posted by Jukon View Post
    If I read your posts earlier I can have a better choice, too bad I bought my bike before new year.
    Well sorry to heard that but if it is your first purchase..well... live and learn. There are alot more people who will get taken for a ride at least once and usually that is your first purchase in almost anything you buy besides a bicycle. But the time you get your second bike or upgrading of component, you are smarter now and maybe even more ready to invest in a better one. But for what's its worth, I am certain you can get as much a lot out of your present purchase versus say looking at it's total sum worth of parts and other stuff you start ot see fault in when you start to compare what you bought against someone elses bike heheh that is just the same with camera gear. In any case, get as much ride time in with it while it last...even a heavy clunker bike with unknown brand parts or parts they fool you into thinking it is some exotic brand or really ancient parts SHOULD still give you a good few years of use and will still get you from point A to B. heh. Keep riding!.

Well sorry to heard that but if it is your first purchase..well... live and learn. There are alot more people who will get taken for a ride at least once and usually that is your first purchase in almost anything you buy besides a bicycle. But the time you get your second bike or upgrading of component, you are smarter now and maybe even more ready to invest in a better one. But for what's its worth, I am certain you can get as much a lot out of your present purchase versus say looking at it's total sum worth of parts and other stuff you start ot see fault in when you start to compare what you bought against someone elses bike heheh that is just the same with camera gear. In any case, get as much ride time in with it while it last...even a heavy clunker bike with unknown brand parts or parts they fool you into thinking it is some exotic brand or really ancient parts SHOULD still give you a good few years of use and will still get you from point A to B. heh. Keep riding!.
    Don'T say sorry I am chasing your posts & keen learning
    Thank a lot

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12