Thread: Difference?

Danny
    Guests

Default Difference?

Hi,

Anyone know what is the difference between a IBM Mircrodrive and Compact Flash 2?

The Speed? Quality of compression?

Any idea?

Just another my curiosity Bug again...

Compact Flash Type I is thinner, Type II is thicker. Microdrive is Type II.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny
    Hi,

Anyone know what is the difference between a IBM Mircrodrive and Compact Flash 2?

The Speed? Quality of compression?

Any idea?

Just another my curiosity Bug again...
    CF can be divided into 2 types. As someone already said, Type I is the thinner type, while type II is slightly thicker. Most modern CF cards, even those 1GB or more, are type I.

Those older high capacity CFs are sometimes Type II. The IBM MD is also Type II. However, not all Type II compatible cameras can support MD. Those that can will be labelled as Microdrive Compatible. Otherwise, it may or may not be compatible. Even those that support MD may not support ALL MDs. MD comes in 340MB, 512MB, 1GB and (soon to be released ) 4GB. Some cameras have problems with the 340MB MD.

All Type II compatible cameras can support Type I, although the reverse is obviously not true.

Speedwise, the MD in the past had one of the fastest transfer rate, although it suffered from slow startup speed ( latency ) like all harddisks. But now it has been eclipsed by practically any CF card. Check out the CF database in www.robgalbraith.com. You will notice that the MD is near the bottom of the list in terms of speed. That said, I have a 1GB MD, and it is speedy enough for taking photos, since the average photog does not shoot 20 shots in a row like a demon. I have never felt restricted by the speed of the MD. The camera's internal buffer also helps to hide the slowness of the card.

Compression : This is a function of the camera, not the CF card, so there is no diff.

Chriszzz, are you saying that type II came out before type I? Strange...

Quote Originally Posted by ST1100
    Chriszzz, are you saying that type II came out before type I? Strange...
    er, which part of his msg made u think that?
    from what i read, he's referring that type II came out after type I mah