Thread: Billingham FibreNyte or canvas?

Default Billingham FibreNyte or canvas?

Hi there,

Thinking of getting a Billingham camera bag.
    I'd prefer it in canvas but the new material, FibreNyte sounds pretty interesting.
    From the website, I learnt that FibreNyte is lighter and more durable, but does have the same feel as good old canvas? What do you guys think?

Thanks

Default Re: Billingham FibreNyte or canvas?

Quote Originally Posted by snapx3 View Post
    Hi there,

Thinking of getting a Billingham camera bag.
    I'd prefer it in canvas but the new material, FibreNyte sounds pretty interesting.
    From the website, I learnt that FibreNyte is lighter and more durable, but does have the same feel as good old canvas? What do you guys think?

Thanks
    use a hose and spray water on either...get the one that resists water the most. usually that would be the one that can last the longest.

eg, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZIATV-0KiM
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

Send PK Chan an email and he should be able to tell you the difference. He is the authorized distributor in Singapore

photopk@singnet.com.sg

I had contacted PK Chan and was also told fibrenyte is slightly lighter and more resistant to colour loss due to abrasion. A chat with Stanley at OP and he claimed that the fibrenyte feels more waterproof.
    RICOH GRD I / II / III / IV / GR / GXR

Quote Originally Posted by Randius View Post
    I had contacted PK Chan and was also told fibrenyte is slightly lighter and more resistant to colour loss due to abrasion. A chat with Stanley at OP and he claimed that the fibrenyte feels more waterproof.
    I am also considering getting a Billingham bag and I think I will go with the new material i.e. fibrenyte because I trust Billingham (being a reputed company) would not change a time-tested material unless it is better. Hope it is available for the model I eventually choose.

Feeling itchy already. I think I will pop into OP after dinner tonight!

Buy both!
    It is the camera, not the photographer.
    my flickr - adamloh.com

it's just a material, get whatever you want!

a billingham remains a billingham

I called up PK Chan and asked him abt the differences between the 2 materials. What I concluded is that both are waterproof and strong the only difference is that canvas feels smoother than fibrenyte. Hope this helps

Just take note that only canvas has the black with tan trim combi and fibrenyte has the sage with tan trim. I had no choice but to choose canvas because of this.
    RICOH GRD I / II / III / IV / GR / GXR

oh, so if we were to choose fibrenyte, there is only one colour? oh well... canvas then. can't do without khaki.

Fibrenyte feels rougher and texture is coarser, but gives the assurance that it will stand the test of time better. The original canvas is certainly softer but will wear and fray over time. So if you like vintage seasoned look, the original canvas will probably reach there faster

I don't think FibreNyte only has Sage color. I remember seeing a Khaki 206 at Mr Chan's place and that was FibreNyte material.

From the Billingham website

"FibreNyte

At Billingham, we are always looking for better ways of doing the things we do by improving our materials and processes.Many of our products have been subject to change over time as suppliers have found better ways of doing the things they do.

Our customers demand tougher bags that are also lighter - New and exclusive to Billingham; FibreNyte is recommended to Professional Photographers who need a tough, hard wearing fabric for extreme conditions.

The material is purely synthetic, it has excellent abrasion resistance while remaining supple.We've found a solution that is softer than other man made fabric.

FibreNyte is a high performance, super durable fabric which is bonded to a polyester lining using Billingham StormBlock butyl rubber and weighs 10% less than our traditional canvas.

FibreNyte is more colourfast because the dyes can be bonded to the material more easily. The black stays black and the Khaki stays Khaki.

Offering every benefit of our Traditional Canvas, with advancements suited to modern life and ways of working – FibreNyte."