Thread: Image size vs Print size

Default Image size vs Print size

Hi All,

The picture size that taken by my Nikon D50 is in Width 3000 pixels x Height 2000 pixels, Width 10.027 Inches x Height 6.667 inches, so this aspect ratio is actually a bit wider than the standard print size from the photo lab, let say if I want to print it into a 4R, I need to crop it and portion of the picture will be cropping away.

You know sometime the portion of the cropping away part is important for the whole composition of the picture, so may I know is DSLR camera capture the picture size that slightly wider than the standard labís print size, so am I need to crop my pictures to fit the standard print size. Is thatís mean in future I need to compose more to have the space for the cropping?

So If I just send my pictures to the lab without cropping it, means the lab will automatically crop away some part of my pictures to fit the standard print size?

Default Re: Image size vs Print size

Quote Originally Posted by onsoon View Post
    Hi All,

The picture size that taken by my Nikon D50 is in Width 3000 pixels x Height 2000 pixels, Width 10.027 Inches x Height 6.667 inches, so this aspect ratio is actually a bit wider than the standard print size from the photo lab, let say if I want to print it into a 4R, I need to crop it and portion of the picture will be cropping away.

You know sometime the portion of the cropping away part is important for the whole composition of the picture, so may I know is DSLR camera capture the picture size that slightly wider than the standard labís print size, so am I need to crop my pictures to fit the standard print size. Is thatís mean in future I need to compose more to have the space for the cropping?

So If I just send my pictures to the lab without cropping it, means the lab will automatically crop away some part of my pictures to fit the standard print size?
    Nope. Labs will downsample if necessary.

4R is 4" x 6". That's a basic 2:3 ratio.

Your camera pictures are 2:3 ratio as well. So no cropping.
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Nope. Labs will downsample if necessary.

4R is 4" x 6". That's a basic 2:3 ratio.

Your camera pictures are 2:3 ratio as well. So no cropping.
    Hi Rashkae,

Sorry I made a mistake, it suppose to be 5R, which the Prints at the 5x7 size have a 3.5:2.5 ratio. The long size is 1.4 times as long as the short side. So mean I have to sacrifice some portion of the original composition?

Its either u crop or u "fit into" 5R with some unused areas on the actual print. I always print 4/8R so its WYSIWYG.

your original is already in 2:3 ratio.

if you print it into 5R, best is crop it yourself,
    if you ask for "Fill in", some parts of the image will be crop away by lab.
    and if you ask for "Fit in", you will have two white borders on narrow sides.

btw, most labs have default setting at "Fill in"
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio