Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Straits Times infringes copyright by taking Facebook picture of triathlete

Default Re: Straits Times infringes copyright by taking Facebook picture of triathlete

Quote Originally Posted by aeskywan View Post
    The point here is u are a NATIONAL ATHLETE WEARING THE NATIONAL COLORS AT A EVENT REPRESENTING SINGAPORE.... So you watch your behavior and don't do anything as shameful as this... to be caught in the same room. That in itself being in the same room says alot. Did they do anything or not. I don't know and wont speculate but tongues will wag among other athletes and officials of other countries of our discipline. What they want to do in their free time out of competition is their own issue. But when you wear the national colors at a international event, you don't just happily behave like you do anything u want.
    But they were in their private room at their private time leh..... do they have to wear national colors pajamas when they sleep? Maybe they were 'training' in the room? hehehe.. Its not like they are out on the street wearing our national colours and behaving in a compromising behaviour right...... You think the rest of the atheletes will think our country sucks if they know there are 2 of our country atheletes of the opposite sex staying in the same room? Its been reported that 'unlicensed' activities happens frequently in the Olympics Games Village..... its a norm!!
    D300|35mm f/2|85mm f/1.4|18-200 mm VR|17-55mm f/2.8 |70-300 F4-5.6|Tok 11-16 f/2.8|SB800|MB-D10|

vince123123
    Guests

Default Re: Straits Times infringes copyright by taking Facebook picture of triathlete

I've clicked on the triangle button and requested the mods to split this thread into two - with the posts on the copyright issue to remain, and the posts on the athletes to be split off to another thread. Hope they agree with this.

Would appreciate if we can stay on track.
    Last edited by vince123123; 3rd February 2009 at 04:30 PM.

vince123123
    Guests

Yup, agreed. I've seen quite often enough in CS that when certain people with vested interest want a particular discussion topic shut down, they will post all sorts of OT, inane, banal and inflammatory posts so as to get it shut down.

Hopefully the mods can split off the diversionary posts and not close the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    It's a diversionary tactic.

We have moles and tactical soldiers planted in CS!

Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    Yup, agreed. I've seen quite often enough in CS that when certain people with vested interest want a particular discussion topic shut down, they will post all sorts of OT, inane, banal and inflammatory posts so as to get it shut down.

Hopefully the mods can split off the diversionary posts and not close the thread.
    I was teasing Vince, but now that you've mentioned it, it does seem to make sense.

Anyways, if the thread gets split, it would be good if our OT gets deleted.

CHEERS!

so how? will ST get into a lawsuit?

vince123123
    Guests

That depends on whether the copyright holders wish to pursue further action.

Quote Originally Posted by gundugundu View Post
    so how? will ST get into a lawsuit?

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmore View Post
    think you miss the point in this thread, entirely.

this thread is about discussing the photography copyright issues rather then the athletes in question.
    i am just replying to some of the other people who posted before me about leaving them alone when they are doing nothing wrong. if i am OOT, apologies there.

and i did mention too at the end, that using their pictures from facebook is wrong.
    Fast Camera. Fast Lens. Slow Me. Sigh.
    My Flickr

Blog Entries

lets keep to the topic

which is copyright

Quote Originally Posted by CYRN View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by http://redsports.sg/2009/02/02/mok-y...han-triathlon/
    Quote:
    (There was even a picture that the Straits Times ripped from Ying Ren’s Facebook account of a smiling Ying Ren and Dinah Chan, a picture that Ying Ren obviously didn’t give Straits Times permission to use since the photo credit didn’t say “Courtesy of Mok Ying Ren” but “www.facebook.com” instead.)
    And pasted below, taken from terms of use for facebook. I'm no lawyer, but I'm pretty sure it translates to users agreeing that facebook gets the same rights as the copyright holder, for any photos (and other content) posted. So the question is, did facebook agree to the usage of photos?

Quote Originally Posted by http://www.facebook.com/terms.php
    By posting User Content to any part of the Site, you automatically grant, and you represent and warrant that you have the right to grant, to the Company an irrevocable, perpetual, non-exclusive, transferable, fully paid, worldwide license (with the right to sublicense) to use, copy, publicly perform, publicly display, reformat, translate, excerpt (in whole or in part) and distribute such User Content for any purpose, commercial, advertising, or otherwise, on or in connection with the Site or the promotion thereof, to prepare derivative works of, or incorporate into other works, such User Content, and to grant and authorize sublicenses of the foregoing. You may remove your User Content from the Site at any time. If you choose to remove your User Content, the license granted above will automatically expire, however you acknowledge that the Company may retain archived copies of your User Content. Facebook does not assert any ownership over your User Content; rather, as between us and you, subject to the rights granted to us in these Terms, you retain full ownership of all of your User Content and any intellectual property rights or other proprietary rights associated with your User Content.
    Last edited by AlteredVision; 3rd February 2009 at 07:05 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by http://www.facebook.com/terms.php
    By posting User Content to any part of the Site, you automatically grant, and you represent and warrant that you have the right to grant, to the Company an irrevocable, perpetual, non-exclusive, transferable, fully paid, worldwide license (with the right to sublicense) to use, copy, publicly perform, publicly display, reformat, translate, excerpt (in whole or in part) and distribute such User Content for any purpose, commercial, advertising, or otherwise, on or in connection with the Site or the promotion thereof, to prepare derivative works of, or incorporate into other works, such User Content, and to grant and authorize sublicenses of the foregoing. You may remove your User Content from the Site at any time. If you choose to remove your User Content, the license granted above will automatically expire, however you acknowledge that the Company may retain archived copies of your User Content. Facebook does not assert any ownership over your User Content; rather, as between us and you, subject to the rights granted to us in these Terms, you retain full ownership of all of your User Content and any intellectual property rights or other proprietary rights associated with your User Content.
    this is interesting

Where got people dare to sue ST, u think they forgot what happen to Duran liao eh? ST is #$@ good friend hor...... dun wake up the sleeping lion.... it will nto only bite, it will swallow u up!!
    D300|35mm f/2|85mm f/1.4|18-200 mm VR|17-55mm f/2.8 |70-300 F4-5.6|Tok 11-16 f/2.8|SB800|MB-D10|

Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    this is interesting
    *shrug* very common terms and services too. Google is, or was, last I checked, a notable exception. Most sites you post to, they become the copyright holders in all but name (with you having the same rights, and also named as copyright holder).

vince123123
    Guests

There is a difference between being a licensee and being the copyright holder.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12