Thread: Australia New South Wales

Default Australia New South Wales

My recent trip to Australia New South Wales:

http://www.pbase.com/chyeheng/new_south_wales

Hope you enjoy it.

Thanks for sharing, nice colors!

Nice collection of great travel photos ! It's refreshing with a balanced mixture of varied photography styles... landscapes, macro, candid, abstracts .... Great !

thanks for sharing!! it's indeed a very fresh and intrigueing perspective you have presented!

personal favs: Next Morning, Rushing North, Care, Iron Giant (horizon's alittle tilted but can be helped right?), Going Home on Manly Beach Ferry, Meditation and lastly Suntaning

Well done!

Quote Originally Posted by chyeheng
    My recent trip to Australia New South Wales:

http://www.pbase.com/chyeheng/new_south_wales

Hope you enjoy it.

Great shots! Went to Sydney 2 years ago... Too bad wasn't so into photography then

Great shots!!; you've got a good eye for composition. Enjoyed your gallery. THanks for sharing

Hi all,

Thanks for the kind comment and encouragement.

SniperD, great that you point out which one you like as it helps me to understand what captures viewer's perspective and interest. Yap,
    we were travelling on the bridge on a car when I took those shots, it
    happen to fast for me to align it... I was overwhelmed by the feeling of
    the heavy metal of the bridge...

Oh.. luckily we clean the window screen a little just before enjoying Sydney
    City too.

There are other album on my pbase site and certainly welcome your visits.

good stuff! yea was in sydney last year too but only brought a 'full manual' (read so-old-no-need-batteries-must-wind-kind) compact... so no such shots :I

was visiting all your other galleries, esp your fave folder.

great shots man! and i could make a straight comparison with yours and my shots cos i have been to many of these places too!

I must say that your shots are really inspirations to me...

CorDon
    Guests

Thumbs up

Hi chyeheng,

Very beautiful pictures indeed.
    Well composition and balance of colours very well distributed for most pictures.
    went through all your pictures and I like all of them.

Can I ask your ISO settings isit always at 50? Cause i saw most of your pictures's ISO is at 50. If not then how do you determine the ISO settings for different shooting conditions?

What's your white balance settings for most of the pictures? or you set at auto for all??

Im new to digital photography thats why I have some doubts. Please help me..

Cordon,

Thanks. Glad that you like them.

My rule on ISO is simple: ISO50 all the time except when you cannot get
    the picture right due to low light, too slow shutter speed etc. For me a picture
    at higher ISO with the subject that I wanna to capture with more Noise is still better than No picture.

The Auto white balance on the Oly is really magic. It's almost ok all the time. Condition like in-door with warm light, sunrise/sunset etc, you might want to check out some creativity. As I travel and shoot fast, I leave it on Auto all the time

Quote Originally Posted by CorDon
    Hi chyeheng,

Very beautiful pictures indeed.
    Well composition and balance of colours very well distributed for most pictures.
    went through all your pictures and I like all of them.

Can I ask your ISO settings isit always at 50? Cause i saw most of your pictures's ISO is at 50. If not then how do you determine the ISO settings for different shooting conditions?

What's your white balance settings for most of the pictures? or you set at auto for all??

Im new to digital photography thats why I have some doubts. Please help me..

CorDon
    Guests

Chyeheng,

Thanks for your advice.
    I will try it out on my sony cybershot but i guess i dun have ISO 50 settings.The lowest ISO is 100.

Im always getting grainy shots dunno whether isit due to ISO settings or not.

Btw, how do took those pictures without handshaking? This is another problem i find while taking digital pictures.

Chyeheng,

Thanks for your advice.
    I will try it out on my sony cybershot but i guess i dun have ISO 50 settings.The lowest ISO is 100.

Im always getting grainy shots dunno whether isit due to ISO settings or not.

Btw, how do took those pictures without handshaking? This is another problem i find while taking digital pictures.
    Hi CorDon,

to prevent camera shake there are a few things you can consider.

1) your shutter speed. As a rule of thumb, you want to shoot 1/focal length. that means if you shoot at 50mm (for example) you should have a shutter speed of at least 1/50
    2) if you cannot achieve that kind fo shutter speed, then you might want to use a tripod.
    3) use flash to compensate.

cheers

CorDon
    Guests

chyeheng,

Can I ask whether you got use PS to touch up your photos?
    Or the photo you posted are at original condition?

Thanks.

Cordon,

Yes. I normally do a Auto Level Adjust (Ctrl-Shift-L), Resize then followed by a Sharpening (USM). This is improve the contrast and sharpeness instead of
    relying on the in-camera setting. (Camera setting are sharpeness -2, contrast -2, saturation +1) No fix rule, just to your own taste.

chyeheng,

Can I ask whether you got use PS to touch up your photos?
    Or the photo you posted are at original condition?

Thanks.

Yes, Chye Heng, you've got inspiring pictures. I'm viewing your gallery to gain inspiration for my upcoming travels.

Hmm...how about starting a photography class to teach composition and share your 'eye'? I'm in!

CorDon
    Guests

Quote Originally Posted by chyeheng
    Cordon,

Yes. I normally do a Auto Level Adjust (Ctrl-Shift-L), Resize then followed by a Sharpening (USM). This is improve the contrast and sharpeness instead of
    relying on the in-camera setting. (Camera setting are sharpeness -2, contrast -2, saturation +1) No fix rule, just to your own taste.

Thanks chyeheng,

i have tried your method of auto level adjust but the colour changes dramatically. i don't think it is the original colour for the object that im taking. isit normal? or is there any other settings prior to auto level adjust?

Im not sure how to post my pictures to the forum thats why i can't show you the colour change.

As for the camera settings, i will try it out when going for next photoshoot.

CorDon
    Guests

chyeheng,

btw, what image size did you use for most of your pictures?

thanks...

Cordon

Hmm, when Auto don't work go manual
    Open the level dialogue you should see a graph (histogram) just move the
    the little two triangle inwards to clip off any dead zone. Effectively you
    are redefining the black and white point.

I set the size to height about 600pix

TRiShnDaisy

you are flattering me. One great source that is free is check
    out the Kodah site. They have good tips for photography. Let me know when
    you post your travel photo okay?