Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Thaipusam 2009

Member/Tangshooter

Default Re: Thaipusam 2009

Quote Originally Posted by alan choo View Post
    Anybody knows the exact route taken? The Serangoon road area will be crowded so I am thinking of stationing somewhere along the route for more relaxing shots.
    Along selegie will be nice and spacious..
    This is an electronic post which requires no signature.

Quote Originally Posted by blazer_workz View Post
    Along selegie will be nice and spacious..

What is the best time and date to be at Selegie road?

Member/Tangshooter

Quote Originally Posted by Lao uncle View Post
    What is the best time and date to be at Selegie road?
    Really depends on wat is intended.

For example:
    Chariot procession - 7th Feb 5am at Tank Road SPT

Devotees preparation and shaving heads - 8th Feb (12am - 3am) at Serangoon Road SSPT

Kavadis and Milk Carriers procession -
    a) normal lightings without using flash - 8th Feb (8am - 3pm) between SSPT to SPT
    b) lighted kavadis and nite ambience shooting with flash - 8th Feb (5pm - 9pm) between SSPT to SPT

My recommendation is see what time you are free..head down to SSPT and moved towards SPT with the procession. It will be very eventful along this route with many street photography opportunity.

Like what 1 of the member have mention, bring along a plastic bag and wear slippers, remove foot wear when entering temple. Put ur slippers in the plastic bag and carry with you.

For those heading down to SSPT..try to come down from Lavender St...i've tried going up from little india..very crowded hardly can move along the streets.

cant wait!!!
    The Few...The PROUD...

>Chariot procession - 7th Feb 5am at Tank Road SPT

Most of the past photos I see, seem to come from the 2nd day? Kavadi,etc.
    Is the 7th feb event a short one? What else is there to see, thks.

For example:

Devotees preparation and shaving heads - 8th Feb (12am - 3am) at Serangoon Road SSPT

a) normal lightings without using flash - 8th Feb (8am - 3pm) between SSPT to SPT
    b) lighted kavadis and nite ambience shooting with flash - 8th Feb (5pm - 9pm) between SSPT to SPT

My recommendation is see what time you are free..head down to SSPT and moved towards SPT with the procession. It will be very eventful along this route with many street photography opportunity.

Like what 1 of the member have mention, bring along a plastic bag and wear slippers, remove foot wear when entering temple. Put ur slippers in the plastic bag and carry with you.

For those heading down to SSPT..try to come down from Lavender St...i've tried going up from little india..very crowded hardly can move along the streets.

Thank for the detailed info.

Deregistered

so who's going and when you're going?

Member/Tangshooter

Quote Originally Posted by jacob View Post
    so who's going and when you're going?
    I'm going..giving support to my fren who is a milk carrier this year. But he pick 2am..

Member/Tangshooter

Quote Originally Posted by redmonsoon View Post
    >Chariot procession - 7th Feb 5am at Tank Road SPT

Most of the past photos I see, seem to come from the 2nd day? Kavadi,etc.
    Is the 7th feb event a short one? What else is there to see, thks.
    Sorry, can't give u more information..I have not shoot the Chariot procession before.

Arrow Re: Thaipusam 2009

Traffic Arrangements for Thaipusam Festival 2009

The annual Thaipusam Festival 2009 will be held on Sunday, 8 February 2009 . There will be a religious foot procession between 0001hrs on Sunday, 8 February 2009 to 0001hrs on Monday, 9 February 2009 . The foot procession will start from Sri Sinivasa Perumal Temple at Serangoon Road and move towards Sri Thandayuthapani Temple at Tank Road via Serangoon Road , Selegie Road , Orchard Road , Penang Road , Clemenceau Ave and Tank Road .

In conjunction with this celebration, there will also be a motorized chariot procession on 7 February 2009 between 5 a.m. to 8 a.m. from Sri Thandayuthapani Temple at Tank Road to Sri Layan Sithi Vinayagar Temple at Keong Saik Road .
    To facilitate the traffic arrangements for the event on 8 February 2009 , the following road closures will be enforced at the various timings:

http://www.spf.gov.sg/mic/2009/090203_thaipusam.htm

Arrow Re: Thaipusam 2009

Just be extra vigilant as this Thaipusam falls on a weekend and there'll be a lot of Foreign workers and locals in the Little India and Tank road area, in case things go pear shape.

OODA.

the route will start from serangoon road all the way down to selegie up till YMCA there then turn right and then turn left at clemenceau. then all the way up to tank road.

A good position to snipe would be to arm urself with a long lens and station urself at parklane overhead bridge. From the top, you can snipe. : )

For a change of angle, walk down the stairs and shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by Pokka View Post
    A good position to snipe would be to arm urself with a long lens and station urself at parklane overhead bridge. From the top, you can snipe. : )

For a change of angle, walk down the stairs and shoot.
    That is a good idea.Is the overhead bridge at parklane shop mall?not familiar with that area.
    Time to bring the long lens out of dry cabinet, not for birds but but people this time.

" seermEvum ettikkudi vAzhum ...... vEl vEl
    theyvAnai thannudaiya maNALanE ...... vA vA ... ... ... ... 1

pArpugazhum sindhuthamizh pAda ...... vEl vEl
    pannirukai AaNdiyE munnaruLa ...... vA vA ... ... ... ... 2

echcharikkai endRidumban kURa ...... vEl vEl
    irupuRamum kAvadigaL nindRidudhE ...... vA vA ... ... ... ... 3

pachchaimayil ERugindRa bAlA ...... vEl vEl
    pakshamvaiththu en kaliyai theerththidavE ...... vA vA ... ... ... ... 4 "

Waiting for this day.Hope everybody get the best shot... Good luck guys
    Mee Poh Man. "I am kampong man"

Quote Originally Posted by dhyk2008 View Post
    One location I know of is the Sri Srinivasa Perumal temple in Sergoon Road where the devotee shaving their heads, piercing their tongues and carrying kavadi. Try taking close up to show the pain the devotee bear. Go there early in the morning, after the temple shoot you can move on to the street, to capture the processions. Hope that this will help.
    When will the shaving and piercing happen? 7-Feb or 8-Feb? around what time? Kinda confused.

I was wondering about the Silver Chariot Procession... according to the HEB website it will stop at two places (S Bridge Rd and Keong Saik Road) on Saturday morning. Can't wake up for the super-early events lah... Does anyone know what I should be looking out for here?

And thanks for the slippers / plastic bag tip! My first Thaipusam also, heh.

Quote Originally Posted by maja06 View Post
    I was wondering about the Silver Chariot Procession... according to the HEB website it will stop at two places (S Bridge Rd and Keong Saik Road) on Saturday morning. Can't wake up for the super-early events lah... Does anyone know what I should be looking out for here?

And thanks for the slippers / plastic bag tip! My first Thaipusam also, heh.

in the evening, the chariot will leave Keong Saik Road for Raffles Place area and then to another temple.. go check the HEB website
    Fine print - Anything I posted is strictly my own point of view :)

anyone knows when is the piercing. 7th am or 8th am? at SSPT?

For example:

Hi All,

Hope you don't mid answering my queries.

if prep time is 3hours (from 12am - 3am) and procession is 7hours (8am - 3pm), what would the devotees be doing in the time lapse of 5 hours+- (between 3am+ - 8am)?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast