Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: !!Help! Digital Camera with smooth video?!?

Unhappy !!Help! Digital Camera with smooth video?!?

Thanks for any help....

I'm thinking of buying a new digital still camera.... but I need it to be able to take smooth video too(at least 20fps)...

It's strange that manufacturers(like Canon) used to make cameras with good frame rates(20-30fps), but not now?!? (only 15fps mostly)

Any recommendations?

Fujifilm S602Z can take VGA resolution videos at 30fps.

i'm nout sure about Sony F717 fps. but its pretty smooth for me....
    and take until the memory finsihes, while canon don't...

prehaps its just too exp for some..

Why don't you just get a video camera? No digital cam can beat good old miniDV

Quote Originally Posted by defn
    Why don't you just get a video camera? No digital cam can beat good old miniDV
    Well it's true... I guess I'm trying to have the best of both worlds...

Wow... you guys are really into high-end stuff.... I read recently on papers there was one with 20fps, more in the range of S$800... but I really can't remember the brand.... that's why I'm posting for help!

Quote Originally Posted by jordan
    Well it's true... I guess I'm trying to have the best of both worlds...

Wow... you guys are really into high-end stuff.... I read recently on papers there was one with 20fps, more in the range of S$800... but I really can't remember the brand.... that's why I'm posting for help!
    The up-coming Sony DSC-F828 is capable of 640x480 video at an impressive 30fps.
    http://www.dpreview.com/articles/sonydscf828/page2.asp

and it has unlimited (limited only by capacity) recording time.

However this fps rating is only achieveable by the faster Memory Stick PRO and not by the Compact Flash slot.

IF using CF, still can achieve 640x480 at 15fps.

If using 640x480@30fps, a 1min video will be huge and required lots of memory space and the MS PRO is very expensive.
    a 1GB MS PRO will cost you $1000+, and you might as well get a video cam.

A MiniDV videocam can be bought for $1.2k-1.3k if you are not targetting high-end models or ultra compact ones.

Add a 3MP digicam for daily shots at $500 (Canon A70?? ) and you have a pretty good digicam and videocam...
    Last edited by Winston; 4th October 2003 at 11:50 PM.

Thanks Winston for the heads up!

Well, looks like convergence is still not here yet for me....

Believe me... You'll realise how sucky the quality of video taken by a still camera is when u compare it to a real video cam. Vice-versa.

Furthermore, Mini DV tapes only cost $10!

Fuji S602 can be had for $1K new and about <$800 2nd hand.

It can take decent 640x480@30fps videos using any >30X CF card or >512MB IBM microdrive.

Quote Originally Posted by defn
    Believe me... You'll realise how sucky the quality of video taken by a still camera is when u compare it to a real video cam. Vice-versa.

Furthermore, Mini DV tapes only cost $10!
    Yes yes! Totally agree!

You cannot have the best of both worlds my friend. If what you want is good video quality, then no question about it - get a digital video camera.

Drawbacks for the video modes in digital cameras are the lower/slower frame rates, and also the screen/playback resolution. Another thing to note - not all video modes for digital cameras come with audio, so check for a mic on the camera and ask the salesperson to be on the safe side.

old dvcam models can be had for 700+... but those are the 500k to 800k lines version. try haunting harvey norman and courts when they dump them.

u can have the best of both/all worlds -- get a 60i or 50i sony HD video camera. haha it's about USD60k. about true 3 megapixels per frame.
    "I'm... dreaming... of a wide... angle~
    Just like the ones I used to know~"

Quote Originally Posted by denizenx
    old dvcam models can be had for 700+... but those are the 500k to 800k lines version. try haunting harvey norman and courts when they dump them.

u can have the best of both/all worlds -- get a 60i or 50i sony HD video camera. haha it's about USD60k. about true 3 megapixels per frame.

Shooting for the big screen ah?

Panasonic has one model of MiniDV camcorder than can take stills at 3MP.

NV-MX500
    http://203.163.64.107/panasonic/stor...CatId=,190,192
    Good for camera and video combo.

xi0625
    Guests

Quote Originally Posted by Zerstorer
    Fuji S602 can be had for $1K new and about <$800 2nd hand.

It can take decent 640x480@30fps videos using any >30X CF card or >512MB IBM microdrive.
    I second Zertorer suggestion, S602 is a pretty capable of prosumer digicam while giving not bad video quality also.

Quote Originally Posted by Winston
    Panasonic has one model of MiniDV camcorder than can take stills at 3MP.

NV-MX500
    http://203.163.64.107/panasonic/stor...CatId=,190,192
    Good for camera and video combo.
    Wow! It's the equivalent of a 3Mpix camera with a 10x OPTICAL zoom... that sounds really tempting Winston.... any idea how much this would cost in Singapore?

Hey guys!

Just saw on papers today the new Fujifilm F700 - looks like it could fit the bill of my BEST of BOTH WORLDS!

3Mpix, 3x Optical Zoom, plus Smooth video of 640x480 at 30fps, length of video limited only by storage card!!!

Wow.... anyone has any comments on this camera?

DPReview of F700
    Last edited by jordan; 17th October 2003 at 09:07 AM.

Hey guys!

Just saw on papers today the new Fujifilm F700 - looks like it could fit the bill of my BEST of BOTH WORLDS!

3Mpix, 3x Optical Zoom, plus Smooth video of 640x480 at 30fps, length of video limited only by storage card!!!

Wow.... anyone has any comments on this camera?

DPReview of F700
    I also recommend the Fuji 602Z. I was in a similar position to you not so long ago, I wanted a stil camera, but also wanted something that could shoot decent video. The 602Z is an older version and there are quite a few of them being sold second hand now for around $750. It has higher resolution and more zoom than what you've listed above. It does 640x480 at 30fps. with a 1G card you can shoot almost 16 minutes at 640x480 and more than half an hour at the lower res 320x240. You need a fast CF card to use the higher quality video, because the data is streaming to the card faster. My main gripe (which probably won't apply to most other people) is that I can't take it underwater.

minolta dimage Z1 also 640x480 30fps...limited by storage space. bonus is the 10x optical zoom

Samsung SCD5000...just came across this model yesterday when researching for a digital camcorder...Digital camcorder (miniDV) with 4MP still picture capability.

http://www.digitalcameradepot.com/s/...B000088NMA.htm
    As complexity rises, precise statements lose meaning and meaningful statements lose precision.

Quote Originally Posted by fluke
    minolta dimage Z1 also 640x480 30fps...limited by storage space. bonus is the 10x optical zoom
    Wow... the Z1 does look good.... any idea how much does it cost?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast