Thread: will sweat damage dslr?

Default will sweat damage dslr?

Hi everyone! After a lot of research, I think I've decided on the a200. I'm just wondering whether sweat will damage the dslr both internally (when sweat seeps through) and externally? Being an excessive perspirer, I sweat very easily so I'm quite concerned about sweat damaging the dslr.

Default Re: will sweat damage dslr?

Then u should get a weather-sealed body. Wipe it clean at the end of the day.
    I say the lens is the soul of a camera. What about the body? Well, it's just the body...

Sweat damages almost anything. The salt and the moisture over time eats through even metal. The reason for putting your camera and lens in dry boxes is to reduce the moisture which will encourage growth of fungus. Sweat seeping into the camera?? I think you need more than a dry box to salvage the situation.

I sweat a lot during outdoor shoots too, so I would always bring a towel along. You could also do what some racket players do, buy a wrist band to stop the sweat flowing to your palms. My 2 cents if that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by sscss View Post
    Hi everyone! After a lot of research, I think I've decided on the a200. I'm just wondering whether sweat will damage the dslr both internally (when sweat seeps through) and externally? Being an excessive perspirer, I sweat very easily so I'm quite concerned about sweat damaging the dslr.
    Dude... How's sweat going to seep through? The camera is not made of sugar. Plus, people have used their A200 in drizzle and rain too. I doubt you seat that much.

But, the rubber parts can be more sensitive to sweat. If you've just been out the whole day, wipe down the body and lens with a moist towel (damp, not wet) before you put your camera in your dry cabinet.
    Alpha

Normally the rubber is the first part to have problems... they tend to expand and get loose over time, heat and probably sweat...
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Quote Originally Posted by powerbookg4 View Post
    Sweat damages almost anything. The salt and the moisture over time eats through even metal. The reason for putting your camera and lens in dry boxes is to reduce the moisture which will encourage growth of fungus. Sweat seeping into the camera?? I think you need more than a dry box to salvage the situation.

I sweat a lot during outdoor shoots too, so I would always bring a towel along. You could also do what some racket players do, buy a wrist band to stop the sweat flowing to your palms. My 2 cents if that helps.
    yes.. good idea.
    maybe can use gloves? looks funny but hope it helps sweaty palms?
    my silly suggestions.
    sori..
    cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by sscss View Post
    Concerns are ok, just don't be scared. Some basic cleaning will help here. The camera can withstand a lot of things and if sweat would destroy cameras that easily then the tropic region wouldn't have much old cameras left. But now that you have chosen a hobby that gives better results on sunny days try to get used to sun and heat

Don't have to worry too much bro. Like what bro Rashkae mentioned, just need to wipe your cam after use. I've pretty bad sweaty palms and my cheap KM 5D is still serving me well after all these years. I don't think Sony products are so badly made afterall since it can withstand rain.
    Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony

wear those thin leather gloves...
    "wisdom is not measured by the knowledge you know, but the knowledge you have"
    forever newbie: D60

finally, if you are REALLY concerned, consider gaffering the camera. More practical than wearing gloves.

i think gloves is better. more cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by sanas View Post
    i think gloves is better. more cheaper.
    Wearing gloves in SG?

may be mistaken for some other things (like terrorists)... esp now with all the stereo-typing of using cameras to take photos of possible targets...
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

By the time sweat eats thru your camera (umpteen years), it is time to buy an upgrade anyway (obsolete camera by then).

Don't worry about it.
    Last edited by mrericlee; 3rd February 2009 at 12:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zac08 View Post
    Wearing gloves in SG?

may be mistaken for some other things (like terrorists)... esp now with all the stereo-typing of using cameras to take photos of possible targets...
    i don't see the connection of wearing gloves and camera and terrorist, many shooters in europe and us wear gloves for firm grip, i even saw one tourist in orchard. the police is not that stupid to detain you for wearing gloves, or are they?

Quote Originally Posted by sanas View Post
    i don't see the connection of wearing gloves and camera and terrorist, many shooters in europe and us wear gloves for firm grip, i even saw one tourist in orchard. the police is not that stupid to detain you for wearing gloves, or are they?
    Over there, the weather is colder so wearing that isn't that much of a sore eye...

over here, you'll likely be mistaken for someone who does not want to leave fingerprints behind...
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

I got stop by security for shooting near PSA...and i wasn't even wearing gloves