Thread: What will be a good theme for a photo competition?

Default What will be a good theme for a photo competition?

Hello,

I'm the co-chairperson for the next Lights Camera Action Photography Competition, organised by the Photo-Videographic Society of NTU.

I would just like to survey you nice people out there for some interesting and good theme for the photo competition. any nice suggestions, just reply to this thread.

Cheers,
    Mervyn

Blog Entries

How about a photo-story kind of competition ... eg. submit 4-6 pictures with a loose storyline.

Themes can be :-
    Street Life Singapore
    A Day in the Life of ...
    My neighbourhood

Hmmm....

how about:

"Introspectives - Singapore"
    Submission of 5 best photos with captions

how about the lost cultures or the thing that we singaporeans have lost in these past few years sinces the economy crisis ... something about the thing that we as singaporeans need right now .... i think that would be interesting .... its kinda more of an action pic

I feel that photography is more than just a visual presentation, but rather, it can be intellectually challenging. There are general themes that competitions are based on such as landscape, portraiture etc, which are no less superficial. But photo essays always seem a tad bit more difficult to capture. My personal opinion is that photos should come with no more than a title, or a very short caption, because ultimately, it is the photo that would convey a message.
    You could set a theme, and the photographers can come out with their own photo essay title. Themes can include abstract stuff like....hmm... squares, transport, etc. I saw a photo essay once on the Red London Bus, and it wasnt just visually fufilling, but refreshing for the mind too. I find plain landscape photos beautiful, but terribly boring. On the other hand, a boring picture that captures the heart, is a true art form.

I like those themes the others suggested. Basically, choose theme, be it a series or single snapshot (series will be more exciting) to show people that you don't have to travel far, but can take good pictures in Singapore. Like what others mentioned, cultures, lost trade, from rags to riches of the nation, singapore river (since its the source of trade from founding to even now, where CBD sits).

why not hold a mini competition or survey to find out this from the students themselves?

Mervlam... can I suggest.. why not give a theme name - example: MAMASHOPS.. and that's it.. shoot and represent your ideas with this title?

Quote Originally Posted by SniperD
    Hmmm....

how about:

"Introspectives - Singapore"
    Submission of 5 best photos with captions

Hmm not bad

up up up up up

I'm wondering how many of us would submit a photo essay for a photo competition here in Singapore?